Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto-Starter not working properly and preventing 95 Civic from starting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote-Starter not working properly and preventing 95 Civic from starting.

About a couple of weeks ago on my brother's 95 Civic, when he went to go start the car with the Remote-starter or start manually himself, it would start for 2 seconds and then shut-down. The way I got it to start was that I noticed the brake pedal was a bit loose. So I kept my foot underneath the pedal and kept it as high as possible and I was then able to start the car manually. Since then my brother got his brake pedal adjusted and the car was starting fine.

But now this morning, it will not start. Same symptoms, start for 1-2 seconds and then shut-down. The car can be started with remote-starter key but when the key is inserted it shuts off. Also manually with the key inserted in the ignition it will shut-down after 2 seconds.

Are there any common scenarios that can occur for this to happen. It is cold outside so I don't know how much trouble shooting I can do looking for loose wires or shorts at the Remote-starter unit.

I do not know off hand the brand name of the Remote-starter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Modified by dieselgg at 3:07 PM 1/29/2008
Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote-Starter not working properly and preventing 95 Civic from starting. (dieselgg)

hmmm well i remember some auto start units are wired to the brake, so if u touch the brake the engine will die.. im guessing there is a loose connection someplace giving you problems... could try unplugging the auto start unit which is probably located above the pedal area someplace (box with wires running into it) and seeing if your car will start from there...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Remote-Starter not working properly and preventing 95 Civic from starting. (john666)

I looked underneath near the brake pedal and no remote-starter. I am thinking it could be in the engine compartment. Will try to take a look.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Remote-Starter not working properly and preventing 95 Civic from starting. (dieselgg)

I found the unit. I disconnected the connectors hooked up to it and the engine did not turn over. I did some mild troubleshooting but the orange wire (brakes) goes off into another harness. Cold outside, so will bring it in.

Thanks for your help.