Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto shut off Headlights???

Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto shut off Headlights???

I have got into the habit of leaving my headlights on when I get out of my EK with turbo timer still running the car. The headlight warning buzzer does not go off because even though the key is not in the ignition, the car is still running and I sometimes don't think twice about it and come back a few hours later to a dead battery.

My girl's 03 Cl has auto off headlights that turn off about 10 sec after the engine is shut off and the drivers door is opened. Is there a way to put this feature on my ek using factory parts from another honda or acura with this feature. I know there are aftermarket kits out there, but I want to know what controls this (OEM) and can I make it work on my car. Thanks,

-Ryan
Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto shut off Headlights??? (DSMtrdtuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMtrdtuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have got into the habit of leaving my headlights on when I get out of my EK with turbo timer still running the car. The headlight warning buzzer does not go off because even though the key is not in the ignition, the car is still running and I sometimes don't think twice about it and come back a few hours later to a dead battery.

My girl's 03 Cl has auto off headlights that turn off about 10 sec after the engine is shut off and the drivers door is opened. Is there a way to put this feature on my ek using factory parts from another honda or acura with this feature. I know there are aftermarket kits out there, but I want to know what controls this (OEM) and can I make it work on my car. Thanks,

-Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

id like to know as well

so bump
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know about oem parts and whatnot, but it could be achieved with a relay connecting your headlights to the ignition switch.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just did a quick search and found this at JC Whitney, you can probably find it at your local auto parts store.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autop....y=14
Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto shut off Headlights??? (Gear Dog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gear Dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just did a quick search and found this at JC Whitney, you can probably find it at your local auto parts store.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autop....y=14</TD></TR></TABLE>

he was lookin for an oem way of doin it, but that works. not too pricey either.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMtrdtuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have got into the habit of leaving my headlights on when I get out of my EK with turbo timer still running the car. The headlight warning buzzer does not go off because even though the key is not in the ignition, the car is still running and I sometimes don't think twice about it and come back a few hours later to a dead battery.

-Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

that wouldn't happen if you didn't drive with your lights on during the day.

but i'm curious to know how it turns out if you get a kit installed.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto shut off Headlights??? (philosofy1)

Thanks for the responces. I have seen that JC whitney kit before, but I am only interested in using the OEM stuff at this time if it can be make to work.

I know someone out there has to have done this before or at least researched it to see if it will work or not and how much trouble it would be to do.

-Ryan
Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a aftermarket alarm ? I can so you how to wire it up that when you arm the car the lights go off.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto shut off Headlights??? (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a aftermarket alarm ? I can so you how to wire it up that when you arm the car the lights go off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok I wasn't looking to do this but now you got my attention. How do you wire it to your alarm?

DSMtrdtuner
Making OEM stuff work on your car is still gonna require you splicing the relay to your harness. So instead of paying $ for a relay from the parts store you are gonna pay $$$ for a relay cut out of a wire harness and you would be the only one to know that it is OEM.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto shut off Headlights??? (Gear Dog)

bump, i'd like to know if there's an easy solution as well. I've had my timer for two weeks and have walked away and seen my lights on. I wonder if some ems could possibly control this?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a aftermarket alarm ? I can so you how to wire it up that when you arm the car the lights go off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do have an aftermarket alarm and plenty of spare relays lying around. I would love to know how to wire this up(I think I could do it where the relay cuts the 12v for the headlights when the ignition cuts off, but want to know how you would do it).
The reason I wanted oem was because of the timer it uses to turn off the lights and the characteristics of the oem system. I'm sure I'm probably asking for too much but I like how to oem switch cuts the headlights on also when you unlock the doors.

It never hurts to ask.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could do it like that. When the ignition goes off the relay opens the the circuit to the light switch. But if that happens, you will not be able to sit in the car with the lights on. Say that you are parked or so. With the alarm, how man times are you in the car with it armed? I would use the ground when armed wire to open the circuit with a relay when the car is armed. If its a dei alarm. The wire is orange.

Tag the orange wire to 86#, 12v to 85#. Take the input from the headlight switch and put it to 30# and the output to 87a. Make sure you do the headlights so you can still keep the parking lights to flash with the alarm.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple fix, remember to turn off your lights when getting out of the car See? Simple... Or... Put a post it somewhere, write it on the dash, ANYTHING.... Or just don't use lights during the day if possible. Save gas and headlamp life.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Save gas and headlamp life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would leaving the lights off save gas?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (wrEcKed_LX)

Sounds like too much trouble to me. Just try harder to remember it.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank for the help wrx-killer-sti eater.

I love how everytime I post something on HT I get 2% of usful info and the rest is nothing but idiotic comments that are worthless. Now I see why most of the members here have 20,000 more post than members on the more informitive boards that I usually frequent. Those who I am referring to probably don't have a clue what I am talking about, and the rest of you know EXACTLY what is wrong with this board.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMtrdtuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank for the help wrx-killer-sti eater.

I love how everytime I post something on HT I get 2% of usful info and the rest is nothing but idiotic comments that are worthless. Now I see why most of the members here have 20,000 more post than members on the more informitive boards that I usually frequent. Those who I am referring to probably don't have a clue what I am talking about, and the rest of you know EXACTLY what is wrong with this board. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Np, anytime. Its a simple fix and not hard. If you ever have electrical problems just post it in the car audio and security section of this fourm. No smart replies just plain and simple answers. If needed I can have a relay and relay harness shipped to you at n/c
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also do the headlights on when you unlock the car to. It will be for about 30sec. You will also need a relay for that too. Sorry I did not read that part. Your alarm should have dome light surpervision. This turn your dome light on when you unarm your car. And should be hooked up to a relay. On dei alarms its the blk/white wire on the main harness. Splice this to a relay that sends 12v. back down the same wire to kill the headlights. I do it all the time for customers.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I figured it has to do with the ignition and headlights, but I couldn't find anything obvious in the EPC for it.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I figured it has to do with the ignition and headlights, but I couldn't find anything obvious in the EPC for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't get it?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

The auto headlight turn off switch is probably built into some part of the ignition or headlights or somehow related to those systems.