Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to manual swap tach question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual swap tach question

Hey, so I'm sorry to even have to post a new topic on here about this because I can see from google that anyone and everyone who has done an auto to manual swap has asked a tach question, but i feel like mine is a bit more complicating than most, and i can tell you first hand that for my car it was not a simple plug and play...so i have a 2000 ex (d16y8) and i just put in a d16z6 tranny on. Now I'm using a a 98 ex manual ecu, which my brother had to rewire the plugs for so that we could still use the auto harness. When we plugged in the tach regularly, the tach didn't work at all. So, we thought that perhaps just plugging the blue tach wire directly into the dizzy blue wire (splicing) would possibly work...it doesn't but, it is interesting to note that the tachometer does actually move at certain ranges of rpms, like when i am in 3rd and just cruising along in the neighborhood, it might bounce around, go to 5000 rpm, then shoot up way past the redline and then suddenly drop all the way down to 0. My theory is that possibly the tach is getting voltage but just at the wrong range, and perhaps a resistor rig up of some sort might be the solution. I know buying a manual cluster is obviously the easier choice, but saying as i have to replace my ac compressor (because mine just went out) and replace all my sincros (because the guy who sold me the tranny lied about "no grinds") i dont want to add to my repair costs. any help would be muchly appreciated. thanks.

mike
Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Auto to manual swap tach question

'99 - '00 Civics get their tach signal from the ECU, '96 - '98 get theirs from the igniter in the distributor. Run a wire from the empty terminal on the igniter in the distributor to the tach test wire in the driver's side rear corner of the engine bay (single blue wire with rupper cap over plug) It wouldn't matter if you have a manual cluster, they work the same. BTW, did you use a conversion harness for the ECU? '96 - '98 and '99 - '00 Plugs are different.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not just buy a CRV or 5spd civic cluster its plug n play and looks better then those tacky *** 6" ricer tachs. hook a wire to the negative side of your coil. you should get a 99-00 ecu to run it i bet u wouldnt be having this problem
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well i think i see where youre getting at...i just woke up so ill head out there in a minute and start splicing...and the reason i didnt buy a new tach or ecu is because i am REALLY low on cash...turns out the first year of college is an expensive one, especially when its the university of florida...but thanks and ill let ya know if it works. oh and i didnt use a conversion harness... the 00 auto civic has all four plugs so my bro just rewired the c plug i believe with all the wires from the d plug and it worked
Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt work...rpms are more responsive this way but either the range of voltage or the frequency just isnt right....i rev up to apporximately 2500 and it shoots the needle as far as it can go...any ideas on how to fix it besides buying a manual tach from a 98?