Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters

I did the auto to manual swap in late July. I've been riding with this hole blowing hot engine air into the car since then. With the console on it doesn't feel too bad, but I can still feel the heat on my hand and my knee. With the console off, it's intolerable. I have an old seat cover stuffed in there for now which is really a poor excuse, but I need to know what others have done to deal with this. I tried to have a muffler shop welded a piece of metal over it, but the guy was just like, "naw..... we don't do that." Should I go to another shop??/ Or can someone else tell me what they've done.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (Jswpstdoff)

the closest hole in the picture is where the shifter is. I need to cover the hole on the left, closest to the dash.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (Jswpstdoff)

I took some 16 gauge sheetmetal...cut to fit over both holes and around the new shifter...then ran a liberal ammount of silicone sealant around the holes in the body and attached the sheetmetal with self taping sheetmetal screws from the top.
I'll get a pic or two up later if you'd like....
Old 08-25-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (Strem)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Strem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll get a pic or two up later if you'd like....</TD></TR></TABLE>

sure would
Old 08-25-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (Strem)

woops forgot a step....I took my grinder to that little lip that both holes have in order to let the new sheetmetal sit tight against the body.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:04 PM

DID you get all your wiring figured out??
Old 08-25-2003, 07:05 PM

yeah, my wiring is str8, the only left is the damn hole and getting a manual ecu which is supposed to be on the way for the last 9 days

edit: oh ****, post count 666
Old 08-25-2003, 07:07 PM
GSRswapandslow

dude...when i did the h22 in my last hatch...and then took it out for the GSR, i coverd the holes with cut beer cans and silicone caulk

good stuff and it works
Old 08-25-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow)

r u serious,

or drunk???
Old 08-25-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (Jswpstdoff)

bump, I'm going to bed

here's my idea, had a piece of thick carpet cut, going to bond it with silicone over the hole, any comments???

i'll check back in the morning
Old 08-25-2003, 07:53 PM
GSRswapandslow

completely serious
Old 08-25-2003, 07:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump, I'm going to bed

here's my idea, had a piece of thick carpet cut, going to bond it with silicone over the hole, any comments???

i'll check back in the morning</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know about the carpet... it might get wet and start to mold and smell

i think you should use some kind of metal
Old 08-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should cover that hole up asap. the fumes cant be good for ya
Old 08-25-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

i put a metal plate...and now some dynamat to cover the vibration and heat coming from there....some roll on stuff would probably do the trick as well. hell stuff something in there to help absorb the heat cause I definately know what you're talking about.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:44 AM

Default Re: (leadtrum)

i've heard a lot of people tell me to get something metal, but where do I get sheetmetal from??
Old 08-26-2003, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

home depot sells sheet metal. i would think lowe's does too.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An easier alternative, Get some Dynamat, the foil backed kind, from your local stereo shop. works great, blocks heat, and seal up good. takes minutes to apply. Used it in 3 different cars, no problems or complaints.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (b18cx)

The Correct way in my opinion

Old 08-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (b18cx)

i just used duck tape and some cardboard!!!!!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Ekay

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Strem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The Correct way in my opinion

</TD></TR></TABLE>

lose the .orig.jpg
Old 08-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to your local auto parts store. Get the B&M or Mr. Gasket cheapy, square, big gawking chrome ring havin', red neck pickup truck shifter boot. Put some silicone sealant under the edges and screw it down. It will fit over the hole around the shifter perfectly and you wont know its there after you re install the console. Cut a piece of sheet metal, abs plastic, lexan or something to cover the long slot the cable went through. If you put it in from the bottom, you can use the rubber gasket that was around the auto shift cable in that spot.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (AutoEK)

thanks man.....seems like they work half the time???
Old 08-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Ekay

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Strem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man.....seems like they work half the time???</TD></TR></TABLE>

no you gotta get rid of that pesky little ".orig.jpg"
Old 08-26-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (AutoEK)

how much does an auto to manual swap with a 5speed conversion cost?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters (SilverSocce

If you do the swap yourself it costs only as much as the actual engine swap costs.
The trick is that you'll need to re-wire a few things(reverse lights,key lock)etc.. if you have a shop perform it they will prob. charge a bit more to do it, but really it's cake. Oh yeah and you'll need a new tranny engine mount if you doing it in an EG automatic chasis.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual swap gurus check in!!! Question about hole after replacing shifters