Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto to manual swap

I am doing a manual b20z swap on a 93 civic dx and was wondering if the wires for the reverse lights is as simple as joining the two wires green/black and yellow in the plug at the auto shifter location as i have the manual harness used from an integra or do i still have to run some wires.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2090074

search bar is your friend
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (RagnarX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RagnarX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2090074

search bar is your friend</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol an 08 helping an 03
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nicks-eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nicks-eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
lol an 08 helping an 03 </TD></TR></TABLE>

*bows* Here to help , Going through the same swap myself; auto to manual with a z6 tho.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still dosen't answer my question i want to know if i loop the two wires at the auto shifter harness will it work because i don't want to run wires in my engine bay.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (crx-si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx-si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still dosen't answer my question i want to know if i loop the two wires at the auto shifter harness will it work because i don't want to run wires in my engine bay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I had really hoped it did too when i did my swap. The engine harnesses are the same between the automatic and the manual, but the wires go to different locatations inside the vehicles. The the yellow and green/black wires are used for the automatic transmission lockup solinoid on the automatic, so inside the vehicle they never end up near the backup lights. However i am working on a fix. I have the entire vehicle harness out of a manual EX coupe, i'm currently working on following the wires for the backup lights once they come in the through the fireall. I can tell you this, you will see where the engine harness goes plugs in near the firewall on the drivers side, and then it goes on in through the firewall, if you cut those 2 wires inside the car and re-route them to where the old automatic shifter used to be and connect them there you should have backup lights.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks thats what i wanted to know. So i can just pick them up by the drivers side strut tower on that 14 pin harness.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx-si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks thats what i wanted to know. So i can just pick them up by the drivers side strut tower on that 14 pin harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, if it were me i think i'd grab them once they go through the firewall though. Some time in the near future i'm going to try to do a good write up on the electrical aspect of a 5th gen auto to manual swap, in particular the starting circuit, most people just jump the 2 main wires at the old automatic shifter, i actually got the whole clutch switch relay and associated harness when i did mine and pinned it in. really not very hard and then you have the clutch start switch.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, if it were me i think i'd grab them once they go through the firewall though. Some time in the near future i'm going to try to do a good write up on the electrical aspect of a 5th gen auto to manual swap, in particular the starting circuit, most people just jump the 2 main wires at the old automatic shifter, i actually got the whole clutch switch relay and associated harness when i did mine and pinned it in. really not very hard and then you have the clutch start switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you wouldn't mind sharing, I am in the Process of swapping my D15z1 from my totaled VX hatch into an auto Del Sol (going for MPG here) the write up I found just had me run the yellow plug from the clutch pedal to the auto shifter plug and for the reverse light running them there too...I have my hatch to pull parts from but this was the only method I had found...any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...Matt
Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (Loserkidwac)

check out this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2338312
That guy was doing something very similar what i wrote there should apply to you as well. In that thread you will see a link to a pic of the clutch relay, take a look at that, that relay should be in your VX up in the drivers side kick panel, up kind of high bolted to the side of the vehicle, follow the 3 big wires, don't cut any, when you get to the ends of the wires depin them from the plugs there are in, pin them in the same locations in your del sol, there will currently be wires in these slots, simply depin them and leave the hanging, you might want to tape the ends up as well. It much less complicated than it sounds, i think later today i will take some pictures of a manual harness i have out of a car to better illustrate where the wires go.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it all up and running everything works perfect i welded a standard mount in from a donor car and cut the shifter piece out of the floor so i could get a factory look. I should take some pics.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
vla

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when i did my conversion. u take the shifter out and splice 2 thicker wires together to keep the lock out then the green and yellow wire are for wireing your reverse lights in. the rest of the wires are obsolete. swap is pretty basic but also you need to cut out the pocket where the shifter was so your linkage can fit..there are a few good 96 write ups on google
Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Seagull Management

I finally did a mini write up with some pics on the 5gen auto to manual starting circuit, i decieded to just start a whole new thread, heres the link. https://honda-tech.com/zero...48557
I hope this helps someone out.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I diden't have to cut out either hole.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx-si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I diden't have to cut out either hole.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you lost me there, either hole?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What 94EG8 said about cutting a hole for the linkage
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 AM

Hey just wired up my reverse light for my AtoM swap...just for future reference to help others...there are 2 plugs behind the dash up near where the clutch MC comes threw the are suspended by a white "plug holder" On my Civic they were a grey and a brown plug and on the Del Sol they were a grey and Blue plug (that might be backwards I'll check and add a picture when I am home) I pulled the harness out of the civic and traced the yellow and green/black wires from the shock tower plug since I had confirmed the location where they where there and located them on the grey plug they are on the very end one above the other, I tested it by using an ohm, once from the shock tow plug to the gry plug inside and then across the yellow and green wire inside putting the car in and out of reverse (complete circuit in revers and nothing when not)

You then can de-pin the wires from the opposing grey plug, cut them back a few inches, get yourself some length of wire and solder the new wires on....now I cut the plug off of the auto shifter and de-pined it all except the yellow and green/black wire in the center...leave a few inches of wire and solder these wires to the new wires you just soldered to the yellow and green/black wire respectively, use heat shrink and some electrical tape or wire loom and tuck the new harness you made up under the dash, repin the yell and green/black wire back into the grey plug under the dash and plug everything back in and plug the other end into the harness where the auto shifter was and I tucked that plug under the heater box(I have my whole dash out right now so it was easy to get to might not be the case with the dash in) very clean and easy I'll try and throw some pictures up later tonight so help people out!

HTH
Matt
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (Loserkidwac)

Hey man, thats the way to wire stuff, solder and shrink tubing FTW. You do it that way and you never have to look at it again.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man, thats the way to wire stuff, solder and shrink tubing FTW. You do it that way and you never have to look at it again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I sure hope I never have to look at that wiring again

Its def worth the extra effort! I really suggest using the stock connectors and all...who knows if for some reason in the future you need to remove stuff its easily unplugged and not needed to be cut and rewire later! Do it once and do it right!