Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual swap

hey guy's im gonna go with a 5speed 96-98 B16a2 SiRII swap.
i have decided to not go with a automatic tranny..lol But im getting the motor swap from http://www.Hmotorsonline.com it is a complete change over. and they are sending the pedels,clutch lines, clutch assembly, etc everything to convert it to a manual. but what im wondering is has anyone ever went through Hmotors? and if so how was the product and sevice? etc.. the whole swap with everything is gonna be $3,000.00 shipped. does that sound right?

Thank's
Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmotors FTW!!
youll get a flood of people recommending Hmotors.
A friend who owns a little shop near me has done 16 swaps all from Hmotors, not One problem. The motor in my car is from there. Its been awhile and all ive done is oil changes. no issues.

They do recommend changing the Oil/timing belt/water pump/.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto to manual swap

Hmotorsonline is a good place to buy a motor from. Also, look up the member "Luserkid". He did a write up on auto to manual for 96-00
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DO NOT DO IT , i did mine for under $1000 its too much work , i say just go buy your self a manual civic
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My cousin a D15B from them, cleanest used motor I've ever seen, no issues and great customer service.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bcpEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bcpEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO NOT DO IT , i did mine for under $1000 its too much work , i say just go buy your self a manual civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh? the change from auto to manual is extremely easy, it all bolts up, you just need to splice two wires together and fill the huge hole the auto shifter stuff left.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (kuja396)

yea i just read his swap info it was a great write up. !

but as a reply to other No0b a few post above^^ Im not buying a new car that is already a stick. i brought my two kids home in this car, and made them in that car..LOL and ive had it since i was 16yrs old. No way it stay's. I AGREE WITH the other's it is an extremely EASY swap bolt in and go. plus the install is wont be hard. but i gues it is Hmotors FTW!!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (SOHCcivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bcpEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO NOT DO IT , i did mine for under $1000 its too much work , i say just go buy your self a manual civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

So doing a D to B swap is to much work? We have auto to manual swaps done in a day, tired as hell but could do it. These are very easy swaps, just maybe a hair up from D to B because of the cutting for the linkage. What gave you the most problems that made it so hard?

Anyway back on track. HMO is the only place i get motors on. Oil pump/water pump and timing belt should be changed as for preventative maintaince.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

Got an H22 from HMO sitting at my shop right now. Going into an 96 Accord along with an auto -&gt; manual conversion. I think it's the 4th or 5th motor we have bought from them and they have all been super clean. They even go to suck extra precautions and to remove the TPS from the TB to make sure it doesn't get broke during shipping. Definately a safe move to purchase from them.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So doing a D to B swap is to much work? We have auto to manual swaps done in a day, tired as hell but could do it. These are very easy swaps, just maybe a hair up from D to B because of the cutting for the linkage. What gave you the most problems that made it so hard?

Anyway back on track. HMO is the only place i get motors on. Oil pump/water pump and timing belt should be changed as for preventative maintaince.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i was reading you post on the swap, very nice write up. so the hardest part is the clutch pedal..etc
But Hmotors said it was a complete change over and aslo said that they would send me Everything i need to convert it to a 5speed for 3grand not to bad hugh?. but n-e way's so as soon i get the motor i need to chang oil pump/water pump/and timing belt right?? also what would be the best oil's for the motor? anything specific?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM

the best way to do the brake pedal is to take just the pedal itself out. just one bolt (the one it pivots on) and the spring. This is how i did it and it took maybe 15 mins
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM

so besides the pedals being the big pain!..lol other than that it is a breeze?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM

If you read what I posted...the pedals are easy.
clutch pedal ***. bolts right up and you can just swap the brake pedal "itself" and not the whole assembly
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM

hey what is a good company to go through for a stage 2 or 3 clutch and how much do they usually go for? also short throw shifter.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I converted my '93 coupe from auto to stick, it was pretty straight forward. I had a little bit of trouble getting the clutch spring in there but it just took some upside down wrestling. Then i got a little confused on the wiring. You need to splice these two wires together on the auto shifter to trick the car into thinking it's in park or it won't turn over. Just examine the auto shifter mechanism and you'll see what I mean. Other than that, easy as pie. I didn't even cover the hole for the shifter, just made a couple holes for the linkage to bolt up and that was that. So don't listen to that guy that says not to do it. I mean, I had never worked on a car before in my life and I did that when I was like 16 so don't fret. Good luck with the project, buddy!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (Kyoh)

well that dosent sound too bad atall. Nah, im not listening to that crap about not doing the swap/conversion. I know it is an easy swap cuz if it wasnt i wouldnt keep getting good feedback about the conversion. ya know..lol hell when i get it down im buyin everyone a ahhaha..if youre in the Kentucky area..lol

Oh,yea befor i forget how does the DOHC perform? i never drove one, and what cars can it keep up with/beat and what cars will walk me? with only bolt-on's though.. cuz i have heard some going with a b20 swap but im more than likely gonna be N/A for a WHILE. due to los of cash.hehe but thank's for the help guy's!! cheers
Old 10-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCcivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh,yea before i forget how does the DOHC perform? I never drove one, and what cars can it keep up with/beat and what cars will walk me? with only bolt-on's though.. cuz i have heard some going with a b20 swap but im more than likely gonna be N/A for a WHILE. due to los of cash.hehe but thank's for the help guy's!! cheers</TD></TR></TABLE>

A dual is going to feel different compaired to your single over. But when it comes down to it, a B16 just really isn't that quick. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a vast improvement but it's nothing to **** your pants over. I bought a B16A2 for my car to replace my mini-me and was more than happy for awhile. Now I want to build up a B20, build up my head and get somewhere close or over 200hp then swap it to a CRX. And even than it will probably satisfy me for only so long. So my advice to you is, get the B16 but then save you cash. Cause most that I talk to are never satisfied with just a B16. Once it loses it's fun you can build up something crazy and by then you'll have the money for it(hopefully). Good luck with everything, bro. If you hit any snags with that auto to stick conversion hit me up with a pm and I'll help you out as much as I can.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM

so when the time comes. would I be able to put the b16 head on a b20 block? I think for now i will be happy with the B16a2, but hopefully by next year i can boost the b16. just depends on the wife..hehehe Thank's for the help/advice.

CHEERS!!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, it's fairly simple.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1676914
If you are serious about the B20VTEC, than check out that thread and read every bit of it carefully.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Yeah the auto to manual swap sound intimidating but its not. Everything bolts up, other then the pass side top mount. Your going to have to order a auto to manual conversion mount I got mine from innovative and it fit and works perfectly. Also you need to drill two holes for the rear shifter mount, its easy. Two wires are going going to get spliced from the original auto shifter then to your clutch pedal switch, and two wires are going to be ran for reverse lights. If your car has a cat that is not oem you have a chance that it will hit the shifter a little, makes slight rattling noise but it works. You also have to make a cover for the hole the cable ran threw I used a 2mm sheet of aluminum riveted on and then silicon for a water tight seal. The pedal portion of the swap is a pain unless your small and can flex a lot. But as someone mentioned I think that way works. I changed everything over and it was probably the most time consuming part. I did a write up for 92-95 civic and a lot of the things are the same but I never finished it as I didn't have my camera on the day I put in the transmission. It should help you collect the parts. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2090074 -ejoner.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (ejoner)

But if it is a complete change over, and all motor/tranny mounts are included shouldnt all the tranny mount's be shipped out with the motor/tranny?. after all it is 96-98spec swap.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 PM

edit: your right I was thinking of the 92-95 civic. If you look at luserkids write up it will show all the right stuff you need.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you HAVE to run the clutch safety switch?

also which two wires do i need to splice together to make the car think its in park. i got the car with half the manual swap done. i finished the rest since i got the car, and im now stuck at the wiring.

also how do i determin which wires belong to the reverse lights?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackfoot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackfoot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you HAVE to run the clutch safety switch?

also which two wires do i need to splice together to make the car think its in park. i got the car with half the manual swap done. i finished the rest since i got the car, and im now stuck at the wiring.

also how do i determin which wires belong to the reverse lights?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't run the clutch safety switch and my car still starts. The only thing is, it will start even if I'm not holding down the clutch, so if the car is in gear it will lurch forward pretty violently. So just always hold the clutch as if you wired the switch.

The two wired you need to splice are on the auto shifter mechanism. If you examine how the shifter works, you will see a little piece of plastic with like metal tape on it moves with the shifter, and in the park position will connect two fairly large wires. I think off the top of my head they are black, one with a red stripe and one with a white stripe. I think, and that's on my '93 coupe. So I just cut off the whole mechanism and just spliced those two wires. Let me know if you need a pic of that, I could get it tomorrow.

And as for the reverse lights, I just didn't wire mine up and haven't approached any problems because I didn't have them. However, I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to help you with it.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM

well hopefully for three grand they will send me everything i need..lol including shifter.

Quick Reply: auto to manual swap