Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

auto to manual/rywire harness/reverse lights questions?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual/rywire harness/reverse lights questions?

I know this has been covered 1,000 times but I didn't find an answer to my scenario.

Car is a 98 EX, I have a rywire harness with a p28. Most of what I've read talks about wiring the reverse switch into the large black wires on the auto shifter 14 wire plug. My harness has the plug for the reverse switch already on it. I am not sure if I need to do additional wiring like splicing those two large black wires into something to make the reverse lights work.

Also I don't have the switches on the clutch pedal assembly hooked up, I have them but I don't want to have to press my clutch to start the car so I dunno what I need to do, if anything before I get a signal at my starter.

I disconnected the blue lockout box under my dash like I was supposed to, the lock pin in the ignition column I didn't but the key turns fine and can be removed without doing that so I dunno what's up there.

Mainly I'm trying to start my car, I don't care about reverse lights now but it would be nice to know down the road how to wire that up.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: auto to manual/rywire harness/reverse lights questions?

Originally Posted by Leady
Also I don't have the switches on the clutch pedal assembly hooked up, I have them but I don't want to have to press my clutch to start the car so I dunno what I need to do, if anything before I get a signal at my starter.
Speaking as someone who put a truck into the back wall of someone's garage that way, don't do that. It will come back to bite you in the *** at some point.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, well I'll keep that in mind
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent ran a clutch safety switch for 3 years lol. When I did it IIRC there is those big black wires one black w red stripe and one black w white stripe. Tie those two together with the wire that goes into park or neutral to trick the ecu.
For the reverse wires theres the yellow wire and the green and black wire. Run wires from the reverse sensor inside the car to the yellow and green and black.
Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you run the reverse wires from the sensor on the trans all the way to the shifter plug hopefully they cut the selector and left the other side of the plug to splice together so your not hacking your dash harness.. its a blue and black wire needs to be grounded so just spice it to the black wire and your key will release. the two big blk/wht and blk/red need to be spliced together. and reverse as bomber said above yellow to yellow and green n blk to green and blk on the plug. goodluck
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the wires from my reverse sensor are inside the loom on my rywire harness, which I dunno if they already have it set up to go into the right pin on my p28.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soo tie it in and see?????
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Leady
the wires from my reverse sensor are inside the loom on my rywire harness, which I dunno if they already have it set up to go into the right pin on my p28.
The reverse wiring doesn't go to the ECU, neither does the starting circuit wiring.

Like someone else said, extend the yellow and green/black wires out to the backup light switch on the transmission.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm more confused as to where the wires from the reverse light switch are going to now. Everything you guys said makes sense but I'll have to try to figure out tomorrow where the wires go.