Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto->Manual Questions..Searched and have proof! Clear some questions for me!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto->Manual Questions..Searched and have proof! Clear some questions for me!

Yes, I have posted another thread in the Hybrid section here on the boards but I have yet to recieve any response from people within that section so I am turning to you guys for some helpful information. Here is the run down of the car, motor, tranny, and parts...

Car: 93 Civic EX Auto
Motor: OBD1 b18b1
Tranny: 5-spd GSR

I am aware of the parts that I need for this swap and conversion. So far and I have them and here is the check list:

Manual Transmission [check]
Clutch [check]
Pressure Plate [check]
Flywheel [check]
Slave Cylinder [check]
Hydraulic Lines [check]
Clutch Master Cylinder [check]
Hydraulic Reservoir [check]
5-spd Pedal assembly [check]
OBD1 LS ECU [check]
Shift Linkage [check]
Shift Boot [check]
Shift **** [check]
Innovative AT->MT Top side tranny mount [check]
B-Series Axles [check]
Integra Throttle Cable [check]

So far, I have the motor mated with the tranny and in the car w/ all the top-side mounts. Bottom side mounts are soon to follow. I already have the 5-spd pedal assembly installed in the car along with the 5-spd obd1 ls ecu. I have slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and hard lines installed and connected. I had the half shaft ready to install but believe that I have the wrong one b/c it, in now way, wanted to bolt up correctly to the block.

Where I need some useful help and clearification is here:

1) I have three different engine harnesses that I can use but unsure of which one will be the correct one?
a. OBD1 Auto Civic EX
b. OBD1 Auto Integra
c. OBD1 5-Spd Integra

I have searched high and low across this board along with Yahoo and I hear nothing about which harness to use. Not only am I unclear on which engine harness to use, but I am unclear on wether or not I can utilize the already existing auto harness in the car or will that have to be changed to a 5-spd harness?

2) When it comes to utilizing the auto shifter harness, I know there are wires that I will have to loop and run in order to: 1. remove the key from the ignition once the car has been cut off 2. be able to start the car when the clutch pedal has been pressed 3. keeping and still being able to use the cruise control even after the swap and conversion 4. being able to use the reverse lights once the swap and conversion has been done.

I tried to answer these questions myself and here is the "proof"...

Now I have searched here on the boards and all across Yahoo. Some of the info that I found in the past here on the boards I could not locate and if located, links were dead or pics within those links were dead. After searching here, I moved to Yahoo and ran across the same stuff that I recall reading when I first started this swap and conversion and here is my searching "proof":

A. Wiring of the auto shifter harness (from http://www.brokenlimits.com/ho...l.htm)

"Wiring: On the shifter for the auto transmission, you will see a 14-wire plug. Cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly, and leave about 5 inches of wire.
Looking at the plug, the positions are (left to right) (top row) 14,13,12,11,10,9,8 and (bottom row) 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

Starter (top) Sensor: There are two heavy gauge wires (position #11 and position #12). Connect these two wires to the top sensor (clutch interlock switch) on the clutch pedal assembly. This will only allow the car to start when the clutch pedal is engaged. In other words, every time you press the clutch you will close the circuit.

Cruise Control (bottom) Sensor: The bottom switch is your cruise control disable switch. Run two wires from the switch: connect one to the position #7 (black) and the other to #13 (pink). Every time you press the clutch pedal, the cruise control will disable.

Removing the Key: On the 14-wire plug, there is a black wire you will need to connect to a green wire with a white stripe. This puts the car in “park” so you can take the key out at any time.

Reverse Lights: Look at the plug you used on the engine wiring harness to hook up to your reverse sensor on the manual transmission. Run two wires from this switch to the yellow wire and a green wire with black stripe (positions 4 and 5) at the big plug that you cut off from the auto shifter. Now your reverse lights should work.
I have heard that if you replace your automatic ECU with a manual one, your reverse lights will work without extra wiring. This has yet to be proven or not (I am still using the auto ECU until next week)."

B. Wiring of the auto shifter harness (from http://tech.hybridgarage.com/t....html)

"Now the Automatic Specific facts.

Remove the Automatic Gear Lever and toss it! There is a plastic slider underneath which is connected to the car's harness. This slider should be set to the PARK position and locked there by some means. The guys at the shop put a big blob of silicone sealant over mine. This is necessary if you plan to take your key out of the ignition after you drive!! Also on the plastic slider, there are two wires soldered near the center of the device (yel, blk/grn). When these wires are shorted they activate the reverse lights and chime. (At least my car has a reverse chime). My advice is to find the reverse sensor on the transmission, trace them to the connection junction on the right side of the engine bay, then run a pair of wires from the reverse sensor leads to the plastic slider. Voila! Your reverse lights will work fine."

C. Wiring of the auto shifter harness (from http://www.d-series.org/forums...anual)

"Electrical

Step 1: Starter won’t turn! On the white slider mentioned earlier, you will see two wires that are thicker than all the other wires. In order for the starter to turn, these wires have to be crossed together. The proper way to do this, is to use the switch on the back of the pedal assembly and run each wire to one of the connectors on that switch. This makes it so that you have to shove in the clutch to turn the starter over. However there are other methods that can be used. You can simply take a butt connector and connect them to each other directly, or you can use a toggle switch. Be aware that if you do this, you can turn the starter with the car in gear, and send launch it into the car in front of you.

Step 2: Reverse lights. I am not completely aware on the exact method of doing this, but it basically boils down to locating the necessary wires on that slider, and connecting them to the reverse sensor on the transmission. I will try to get the correct information and update this as necessary.

Step 3: The rest of that white slider can either be cut off and the wires taped off so they don’t contact anything, or you can just shove it under the carpet."

After comparing these three findings for wiring the auto shifter harness, I see that they talk about doing the same thing. If you read through them, you will notice that "B" talks about the plastic slider piece that is found on the auto shifter assembly. This creator of this write-up talks about keeping this in order to do this correctly and glueing it so that it stays in the park position. The other two (A and C) do not mention utilizing this slider piece and I have not heard much about having to use it. Is it necessary for me to use and keep the slider piece and glueing it to stay in the park position or will the looping of the the black wire and the green w/ white stripe wire on the auto shifter harness make it possible to remove the key from the ignition? I have read some things about having to keep the blue box found near the clutch pedal in order to make this wiring possible...Is this also something that I will need to do or run wires to or can I remove that?

Someone please let me know if I stand clear on which wires go with which and all that good mess...Do I stand correct when I say that in order to wire the starter sensor, I must wire the two heavy guage black wires to the top sensor, or the clutch interlock switch, on the cutch pedalasembly? In order to make the cruise work, I must connect the small guage solid black wire with the small guage solid pink wire to the bottom sensor on the clutch pedal?

I understand that I have bombarded you guys with all this information and questions. I did so to let you guys get a feel of how far along I am along with what it is, exactly, I am looking for. Hopefully you guys can give me some more helpful info and help in general to get me on the right track. Hopefully everything is clear and understandable! As always, TIA!!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Auto->Manual Questions..Searched and have proof! Clear some questions for me! (Trock1029)

gonna need a tranny mount that switches from auto to manual... stock one wont be low enough to reach the tranny
Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto->Manual Questions..Searched and have proof! Clear some questions for me! (egmatt89)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1824102
Old 11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto->Manual Questions..Searched and have proof! Clear some questions for me! (RACEPAK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egmatt89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gonna need a tranny mount that switches from auto to manual... stock one wont be low enough to reach the tranny </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the advice but I already an Innovative AT-MT tranny mount!

Still waiting for help...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto->Manual Questions..Searched and have proof! Clear some questions for me! (Trock1029)

bump
Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can get a harness for 94-95 Integ LS 5spd that will work best because you dont have to lengthen or move wires.....if you use a auto harness you have to lengthen the wires to the IAT sensor (on Intake Manifold near Fuel regulator) and cut the tape on the harness so you can pull the O2 sensor wires out and run to rear of engine(Sohc has O2 sensor in diff spot then dohc) also the wires to the stock map sensor need to be removed from firewall so they can reach the TB
Old 12-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the harness you could use whichever one you want. But like said if you use the civic auto youll have to lenghten some wires. Use the harness you were using when you had the auto LS in. Your going to have left over wires, just cut them since your not auto no more.

Go here, it will show you pics for the wiring, and for the cruise you need to ground the pink wire (atleast that was told to me and no one came to me saying other wise) And for the clutch safty switch you have to run the 2 big wires to the switch and your set.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459

Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

Thanks for the help guys!

Here is what I have done and discovered as of last night:

Harness- I spoke with a buddy of mine that has done this swap twice now and he said that I should use the obd1 auto civic harness unless I could find a 5spd one. He said all I would have to do on the auto harness is, for asthetics, remove the plug that orig. went to the auto tranny and tape it back.

Half shaft- The half shaft I have now is not the correct one obviously. I went to bolt it up to the block and the mount plate would not sit flush. Been told that it must be an auto half shaft b/c those are about 1/2in. shorter than 5spd half shafts.

Wiring- Last night I worked on the wiring of the auto shifter harness. I followed the directions according to "A" that I posted above. I ran the two large guage black wires to the clutch interlock switch at the top of the clutch pedal. Also, I ran the small guage solid black wire to the green with white stripe wire and hooked them together in order to remove the key once the car has been turned off.

Hopefully my buddy has ran across a 5-spd b-series half shaft for me today and I can get this thing closer to being on the road. Once I find out what all has to be done with the harness, I will post it in this thread. Once the car gets up and running, I will let you guys know! If there is anything that I have may overlooked and that you think would be helpful info, please let me know...Any and everything is appreciated! Thanks again guys!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: (Trock1029)

bump i need to know same thing
Old 12-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Foodi)

TTT! Let's get it!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I refuse to give up on finding the correct information here b/c I know there are plenty of people on here that have done this...

TTT!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So nobody has any useful info on an Auto-Manual conversion?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update!!!!!

The car is up and running!

When it comes to the wiring of the auto shifter harness, the above info is correct for the removal of the key and along with the clutch interlock switch stuff. Come to find out, I had to use a b16 5spd half shaft for some odd reason. Dont know why the LS 5spd wouldnt do the trick.

I am about to complete my second auto to manual conversion for another buddy of mine and I am going to do the wiring for the reverse lights this time. Once I do that and get the results, I will post info! Thanks again for all the help guys!

Search this Thread