Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to manual conversion questions (d15z1 civic)

Old 10-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual conversion questions (d15z1 civic)

I have now decided to go with a z1. I got everything from a 5spd, everything except the pedals, for 125$. Now, I have a couple questions that maybe you guys can help with. With the pedal conversion is it possible just using the 5sp brake and clutch, or do I need the gas also (keeping my auto cable)? With wiring the break lights, it says in another diy that I should run the yellow and green wire into the center console plug, but which yellow and green? The 5spd trans I have (and its the z1 trans)only has one plug and both wires are green. Also on the clutch, there are two sensors, is the bottom a must to wire into the center console? and whats its purpose? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and once this is cleared up I will start my conversion thread.....thanks.

These green wires, where are they from? I assume they are for reverse lights, but where do I get them from? Also it would help to say I have a d15z1 5spd engine harness complete, in case that changes anything.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Auto to manual conversion questions (d15z1 civic)

Starting circuit wiring: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/5th-gen-civic-auto-manual-starting-circuit-right-way-2348557/

As far as the backup lights go: You can either run two wires from the backup light switch to the green and yellow wires on the automatic shifter plug (it doesn't matter which goes where at the switch, all the switch is doing is connecting the two wires together)

Or you can plug the connector previously used for the automatic transmission lockup solenoids on top of the transmission and then find the wires after they come through the firewall (left hand corner above and to the left of the clutch pedal, there will be two large plugs, the two wires you want are in there) and run those wires to the shifter plug.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Starting circuit wiring: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2348557

As far as the backup lights go: You can either run two wires from the backup light switch to the green and yellow wires on the automatic shifter plug (it doesn't matter which goes where at the switch, all the switch is doing is connecting the two wires together)

Or you can plug the connector previously used for the automatic transmission lockup solenoids on top of the transmission and then find the wires after they come through the firewall (left hand corner above and to the left of the clutch pedal, there will be two large plugs, the two wires you want are in there) and run those wires to the shifter plug.
Thanks, I think I get it now. I'll post up when I get it done.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Seagull Management

All of that info applies if it's a '92 - '95 Civic (I'm assuming it is)

Btw, as far as the throttle cable goes. The best thing to do is swap all the pedals and the cable. A new throttle cable is generally around $26 at the dealership (less than $20 from Majestic Honda). You can use the automatic gas pedal and cable (i've done it) but the pedal will never feel right due to the spring loaded part for the passing gear in an automatic. Also, you may have to make a custom bracket for the cable at the engine end as they cables are not all the same length. If you're buying a new cable buy it for the engine you're installing (in this case order for a VX, part number 17910-SR3-A91)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
All of that info applies if it's a '92 - '95 Civic (I'm assuming it is)

Btw, as far as the throttle cable goes. The best thing to do is swap all the pedals and the cable. A new throttle cable is generally around $26 at the dealership (less than $20 from Majestic Honda). You can use the automatic gas pedal and cable (i've done it) but the pedal will never feel right due to the spring loaded part for the passing gear in an automatic. Also, you may have to make a custom bracket for the cable at the engine end as they cables are not all the same length. If you're buying a new cable buy it for the engine you're installing (in this case order for a VX, part number 17910-SR3-A91)
Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can come across an entire pedal set. By the bracket on the engine side for the cable I assume you mean the bracket that sits on the intake manifold, i believe I have it, if not i can modify the z6 one I do have.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by metalslug
By the bracket on the engine side for the cable I assume you mean the bracket that sits on the intake manifold, i believe I have it, if not i can modify the z6 one I do have.
Yes that one. Even if you have the correct bracket if you don't have the correct cable you'll still sometimes have to fab something up to get the slack out of the cable.