Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to Manual Conversion (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual Conversion (newbie)

Sup everyone, I have a 1992 Honda Civic HB D15B7, im looing into a swap with an auto to manual conversion.....I know that if i get a new engine it might as well get the conversion done now.....I just want to know if alot of problems come up after the conversion....I've heard that the clutch always goes bad or things just go wrong. Well anyways help me out if u can...
Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Auto to Manual Conversion (ProjektHB)

If you take your time and buy working parts......nothing goes wrong.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 AM

It is really not worth the trouble.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: (blackcivicsi)

so there are a lot of problems? Aight i have this guy who is gonna swap and do the conversion for me....again im a newb so i dont know how to do this stuff bymyself let alone have the tools....this guy is gonna drop a D16Y8 and do the conversion....for $1600 i thought this was a hella of a good price....But now im havin doubts about the conversion just because i dont want it to break down a lot on me....and i also on a tight budget so whatever way saves me money is the way i'll likely go...thanks for your response !
Old 09-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjektHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjektHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so there are a lot of problems? Aight i have this guy who is gonna swap and do the conversion for me....again im a newb so i dont know how to do this stuff bymyself let alone have the tools....this guy is gonna drop a D16Y8 and do the conversion....for $1600 i thought this was a hella of a good price....But now im havin doubts about the conversion just because i dont want it to break down a lot on me....and i also on a tight budget so whatever way saves me money is the way i'll likely go...thanks for your response ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

<FONT SIZE="5">FAWK NO</FONT>
That is way too expensive!!! You can find swaps here for 350. Hell WM5holla is selling his for that much!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 AM

Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

<FONT SIZE="5">FAWK NO</FONT>
That is way too expensive!!! You can find swaps here for 350. Hell WM5holla is selling his for that much!</TD></TR></TABLE>

See man i told u im a hardcore nub! When u say swaps for $350 that includes the engine and installed? will that be smog legal? cuz the guy who is gonna do it for me said he does everything the way it has to be so it'll pass smog check/tests but then again he could just be screwin me over....
Old 09-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjektHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See man i told u im a hardcore nub! When u say swaps for $350 that includes the engine and installed? will that be smog legal? cuz the guy who is gonna do it for me said he does everything the way it has to be so it'll pass smog check/tests but then again he could just be screwin me over....</TD></TR></TABLE>

No not installed but if you help supply the labor/pizza and beer, I am sure there are a few guys in the LA area that are willing to help out with the swap.

Keep in mind, you could spend up to $1000 but it still saves you 600!

$1000 meaning all new parts for the engine that could wear out (timing belt, water pump, gaskets and stuff)
New clutch, pedal set and all the other things needed.

We've (HT) done it before. It just depends on how nice of a guy you turn out to be.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No not installed but if you help supply the labor/pizza and beer, I am sure there are a few guys in the LA area that are willing to help out with the swap.

Keep in mind, you could spend up to $1000 but it still saves you 600!

$1000 meaning all new parts for the engine that could wear out (timing belt, water pump, gaskets and stuff)
New clutch, pedal set and all the other things needed.

We've (HT) done it before. It just depends on how nice of a guy you turn out to be. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Im a nice guY! hey but keep in mind that 1600 is installed with the engine and the CONVERSION...and i still have to talk to that guy we only talked for about 10 mins and i didnt ask all my questions so i dunno....But what he said its $600 for the engine (which i can get cheaper if i look harder) $500 for installation including the removal of the old one, and $400-$500 on the auto to manual conversion...
Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That still seems crazy high to me.

Think if your willing to spend 1 full day wrenching with the help of guys who have done this already....it's not worth it to you?

Or 2 days. 1 day swapping the engine and the 2nd day (can be later) swapping the tranny.

Also, 400-500 on the auto to manual, does that include the tranny? If so, which tranny?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Manual Conversion (ProjektHB)

Give this a try...
https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 09-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Manual Conversion (96hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Give this a try...
https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch </TD></TR></TABLE>
We are way passed that.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Manual Conversion (Spade)

I know many people who talked about doing this but just ended up buying another car. For the time and money involved, it might be sometimes not worth it.

But if you plan on doing everything youself, it's a neat little project!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That still seems crazy high to me.

Think if your willing to spend 1 full day wrenching with the help of guys who have done this already....it's not worth it to you?

Or 2 days. 1 day swapping the engine and the 2nd day (can be later) swapping the tranny.

Also, 400-500 on the auto to manual, does that include the tranny? If so, which tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, i would really like to learn and have experience with this...but i got to school monday tru friday and work on the weekends....pretty busy schedrule but u got to do what u have to.

Again, i only talked to this guy for like 10 minutes, but he did say EVERYTHING was included.. But i'll make sure again...
Old 09-10-2003, 12:00 PM

Hey spade thanks for ure input bro, u helped me out alot....
Old 09-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjektHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey spade thanks for ure input bro, u helped me out alot....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not hard. place racing mount(one we used), pedal assembly, drill some holes, a teeny bit of wiring, and if you are going to do a bseries swap id wait to do the conversion at the same time so you dont bother with getting the civic linkage. people may say its too hard, too much work,etc, but its not that bad. i had my old wrecked hatch so i just pulled all the parts off of it.