Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AUTO --> MANUAL conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:51 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default HOW-TO: AUTO --> MANUAL conversion...

for those who are thinking about doing a auto--> 5spd conversion...and can't SEEM to find out a quick and easy write-up...HERE YOU GO.

*** First of all, remove the automatic pedals and reinstall manual pedal assembly along with the other manual accessories (clutch lines, clutch master cylinder, etc.).

 Remove the armrest/center console and shift boot trim panels to gain access to the shifter and plugs.
 Remove the two shift cables that run through the floorboard.
 Remove the automatic transmission and install the MANUAL transmission WITH the proper CUSTOM 5spd mount (Hasport or other companies)
 Chisel out the cable guide bracket with an air-chisel.
 Use a thin piece of sheet metal (trimmed to size) to cover the large hole where the old auto shifter used to be. Make sure you cut out a 3-4 hole for the manual shifter. Attach plate with self-tapping screws or bolt/nuts.
 Drill out the two indented spots where the manual shifter bracket is supposed to be.
 Install shift linkage onto manual tranny and use OEM shifter rubber boot at the sheet metal plate. Bolt and nut the shifter using the newly-drilled holes.

WIRING:

 You will notice the 14-wire plug at the old automatic shifter location. Cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly and leave about 5 of wire.
 STARTER SENSOR: Run two wires from the clutch pedal assembly (clutch interlock switch) to the two heavy gauge wires (#11 & #12) at the plug. This will allow the car to only crank when the clutch pedal is depressed.
 TO CRANK CAR: Spot the 2-wire plug with two heavy gauge black wires. Connect them in a closed loop.
 CRUISE CONTROL SENSOR: Run two wires from the clutch pedal assembly (cruise control disable switch) to the two wires (#7 black & #13 pink). This will disable the cruise control once the clutch is depressed.
 TO REMOVE KEY IN IGNITION: Connect the black wire with the green/white wire (on the 14-wire plug). This puts the car in PARK so you can take the key out.
 REVERSE LIGHT: Run two wires from manual tranny plug (yellow & green) to the yellow #4 & green/black #5 of the auto shifter cut plug.

***** <U>THE WIRE SEQUENCES ON THE PLUG:</U>
14-- 13-- 12-- 11-- 10-- 9-- 8
7-- 6-- 5-- 4-- 3-- 2-- 1

EXTRAS:

 Install 5spd gauge cluster
 Install manual center console

Modified by NVturbo at 11:01 AM 5/27/2006
Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AUTO --> MANUAL conversion... (NVturbo)

wow man it looks good I think honda-tech needs to have a how-to section with post from all the members on how-tos
Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Default Re: AUTO --> MANUAL conversion... (top end tuner)

THANKS...
Old 05-27-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: AUTO --> MANUAL conversion... (NVturbo)

so is this for 5th gen or 6th?
5th you dont need to cut any hole for shifter

no offense but it doesnt have any info that all the other write ups dont have.

but we will give you an A for your effort
Old 05-27-2006, 07:08 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Default Re: AUTO --> MANUAL conversion... (tatmark1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tatmark1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so is this for 5th gen or 6th?
5th you dont need to cut any hole for shifter

no offense but it doesnt have any info that all the other write ups dont have.

but we will give you an A for your effort</TD></TR></TABLE>this works for Civics, Integras, and Accords. If you read it correctly..I said cut the hole out in the sheet metal for the shifter..not on the car. I'm sure it does have about the same info as the others..but its not a WHOLE page...
Old 05-27-2006, 07:13 AM

 Use a thin piece of sheet metal (trimmed to size) to cover the large hole where the old auto shifter used to be. Make sure you cut out a 3”-4” hole for the manual shifter. Attach plate with self-tapping screws or bolt/nuts.

thats what you said
i didnt have to do that my shifter fit perfect in the old spot. i did however cover a smaller hole in front of that where the auto shfter CABLE was

im not trying to give ya **** man
Old 05-27-2006, 07:20 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Default Re: (tatmark1)

hahhahaha..its cool, bro.

I'm just making my point...that cutting the hole out was for the sheet metal..not on the car.