Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto Gsr Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Gsr Swap

i have a 93 civic ex coupe and its an automatic and my WHOLE goal is to try to make an automatic fast and i can get a gsr swap with an gsr trannie for 3 g's and the im gunna save up and build the internals and turbo it what do u guys think?
Old 11-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (civicex93)

the honda slushbox (auto trans) wont handle alot more power for very long... you will spend more money replacing auto trannys... than you would if you just did a manual conversion...

EDIT: now if you are just gonna drop in the motor.. and do the basic i/h/e and stop moddin it and you wanna keep the auto trans.. the go for it.. but your talkin turbo and internal mods.. wont hold up

[Modified by 95DelSolSI, 2:17 AM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-04-2002, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap

Use an LS tranny.

Want it faster? Make sure you buy an fully built performance Auto-tranny so it doesn't die from all the new power.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 93 civic ex coupe and its an automatic and my WHOLE goal is to try to make an automatic fast and i can get a gsr swap with an gsr trannie for 3 g's and the im gunna save up and build the internals and turbo it what do u guys think?
Good luck
Old 11-04-2002, 12:49 PM

what would i have to do in building the Gsr Auto Tranny?
Old 11-04-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your not listening.
auto trannies SUCK ***.
they are slow, rob you of power, and rob you of control over the car.
if you are really gonna do all the things you want to do, its gonna still be slow.
if your gonna spend 5K+ on building the engine and boosting, your gonna be lucky if you see 13's
while a manual will be knocking on the low 12 mark.
autos arent meant for speed.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (KAMiN)

I honestly don't think that him having an automatic with a turbo B18C would be much, if any, slower than a manual.

My reasoning is this:
1) He can keep his foot to the floor the whole run, meaning the turbo would be spooled the whole time, no taking the foot off the accelerator to shift, and having the turbo to "blow off" and slow.

2) He could, if he builds the tranny right, have a high stall speed, about 3800 rpm, meaning the turbo would be damn-near spooled at launch. Plus, it would be less shock to the driveline (axles and stuff).

3) I own a 91 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. It is a well-known fact for the entire production run of the Z32, all the tt autos were faster than the 5-speeds in 0-100mph acceleration, by several seconds. See first two for a reason.

I think he should do it. I'm going to do it to my girl's car, just because she likes auto better than stick, and I want her to have a fast car. That, and it's a 4-door.

So, I'd go for it. Just have the shop put some killer clutch-packs in the tranny, have a high-stall torque converter put in, and see if the shop can install a line-pressure booster to help shifting and power-handling. And see if they make a "shift kit" for Honda. Put one in if they do.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (Revolveu2)

Bro you cannot compare a sport-oriented auto tranny like a TT 300ZX auto to a pile of **** honda auto tranny.

The honda autos SUCK.

Read it again if you didn't get it the first time.

Equally equipped cars but having different trannies? the auto will get ***-raped because honda trannies don't launch or shift for **** - especially boosted.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:20 PM

yah i could have gotten a 5spd, but instead i got an auto because i WANNA TRY to make an auto fast i already know a 5 speed could be fast and also tired of peeps saying how autos suck just wait till u get beat by one, and i really dont care how much it will cost its a GOAL!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess I respect your enthusiasm, but please don't threaten us 5 speeders with "wiat until you get beat by an auto!" because you'll need some serious boost to do that!

Old 11-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (B18C5-EH2)

I guess I really didn't think that Honda autos were total ****.

Well, let us know how it turns out. I guess I'll let you go first before I do it!
Old 11-04-2002, 03:11 PM

just make sure you build the auto tran with levelten stuff before you start making any power
Old 11-04-2002, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (SilverCivic2k)

Levelten.com

and i commend you for keeping the automatic, as soon as i get enough money im trading out my slush crapper and putting in an Maunal SI tranny and engine and all that yummy stuff...but there is a guy that has a boosted auto and is a quick ****..lives in PA..got his tranny built up at Aamco!...good luck man, and i think that everything that tells this many its a waste is wrong, let the man do what i wants, and figure it out
Old 11-04-2002, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what gsr auto tranny? when the hell did they make one of these.?... oh probably in newbieville... thats 3 miles south of newbietown...
Old 11-04-2002, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (VTECxSiR)

what gsr auto tranny? when the hell did they make one of these.?... oh probably in newbieville... thats 3 miles south of newbietown...
actually, there were JDM GSR trannys, made. they can be found

also includes the auto GSR ecu with 4 plugs and OBDII type chip in a OBDI ecu

Ratios for GSR auto:
1 - 2.722
2 - 1.468
3 - 0.975
4 - 0.638
R 1.954
FDR 4.357

JDM OBDI P72 ECU for auto cars only

and even if you want i can get you a JDM GSR auto cluster with 7600rpm red line.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:26 PM
NrG

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (eg6ajk)

eg6ajk: i was just going to say that.. too many n00bies on this forums.
the person that said use a LS tranny is an idiot too.
why the **** would you use a non-vtec tranny on a vtec motor?
the gearing isnt made for the vtec range.

for the person that said auto tranny isnt made for 12s cars?
you're an idiot too. go search around and find cars doing 7sec, with over 500hp.
those are run auto tranny, or sequental tranny. it would suck to miss-shift with that high hp running in the motor.

peace
Old 11-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (NrG)

for the person that said auto tranny isnt made for 12s cars?
you're an idiot too. go search around and find cars doing 7sec, with over 500hp.
those are run auto tranny, or sequental tranny. it would suck to miss-shift with that high hp running in the motor.

peace
BUT THERE NOT HONDAS
PAY ATTENTION
honda automatic transmissions are PIECES OF ****.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (KAMiN)

Auto tranny's do rob you of power BUT there are companies such as JMO that make racing torque converters. If you get one of those you should be straight. Also, if you're planning on running high speeds, or turbo, you'll probably need a transmission cooler. But it is possible to hook up an automatic. And unique. Check out the August/Sept edition of Honda Tuning Mag. There's an auto Integra in there that's fast as Hell. With auto, you'll loose about 10% of power to the wheels, but also there's also little to no room for error when you're running the quater mile.

[Modified by xthisfallx, 9:51 PM 11/4/2002]

[Modified by xthisfallx, 9:52 PM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (xthisfallx)

it's funny cause last night I was reading a few month old SCC mag that had Dave Coleman explaining why autos suck, besides the obvious. First off, where do you live? I've seen many built Civics with auto swaps that are boostin in the LA area. Now, if you've ever been to LA and travel the freeway, you know how much traffic sucks. And clutch in clutch out etc etc gets a little old. Of course it's nice to have an auto. 90% of automatic transmission failures also occur because of heat. So you';re gonna need a tranny cooler as well. Get that thing built also for a couple reasons. The times it takes for the auto tranny to shift is fractions of a second slower than a manual-where you just slam into gear and hit the gas. The auto tranny has to build up fluid/pressure to shift to a higher gear, thus losing power and time. And like someone has stated, you need a racing torque/stall converter. It will be more direct than the factory torque converter letting you put more power to the ground, and you can safely rev the engine with the transmission in gear without hurting anything.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (Emerica)

Word.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can build a honda auto trans to handl ehigh horsepower it has been done but its expensive.

look in the past few scc magazines they talk about it and give a # to a place that does it
Old 11-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 11-04-2002, 07:01 PM

yah i could have gotten a 5spd, but instead i got an auto because i WANNA TRY to make an auto fast i already know a 5 speed could be fast and also tired of peeps saying how autos suck just wait till u get beat by one, and i really dont care how much it will cost its a GOAL!
Do you even know how to drive stick? Usually the only people i hear say that are people who dont know how to drive.

And about the L.A traffic, i live in L.A and manual isnt bad at all. It keeps you alert, and is way funner then my mom's boring auto mercedes. Whats so fun about just smashing down a pedal? weeeeee... thats just my 2 cents.

[Modified by MilanoRex, 8:02 PM 11/4/2002]
Old 11-04-2002, 07:23 PM

If you live in Orange county (L.A. in californina) you want an automatic because freeways here sucks. thats why i have an auto b16 cuz of that reasons, i known people with stick saying it make you tired quick and ruins your clutch. but soon i will switch to a stick as soon as i get the hell out of california
Old 11-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto Gsr Swap (AutomaticB16)

automatic is wack, why waste the money?

Quick Reply: Auto Gsr Swap