Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto B16 Swap in an EG/EK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto B16 Swap in an EG/EK?

Ok i know this topic has been beat to death but ive never heard any true answers.

First of all.....1. yes i can drive a 5 speed.....2. im not worried about making alot of power or anything....and 3. I DO NOT plan on using a GS/LS/RS auto tranny.

Im wanting to buy an auto d series civic to do an auto b16 swap on. Ive done swaps before so i know most of the basics. I drive an Ls-vtec ek coupe with a GSR tranny daily so i know how to drive a 5 speed. Im just looking to do something different that you never see. Im either going to order a b16a sir swap with an auto tranny or ill just pick up a b16 and buy a b16 or gsr auto tranny off of ebay.

Im just curious to know what mounts to use. I know the driver side mount is the same, and im pretty sure the b series auto/manual t bracket is the same(correct me if im wrong). And ive heard people say that a d series auto tranny mount will work.....but some people say you need a b series auto tranny mount.

And i would like to know what harness to use. Will the plugs for the tranny of a d series plug into a b series tranny? And what ecu do i use?(most swaps come with the ecu but if it doesnt i want to have the right thing)

And are there any other things im going to need to do this swap? I know if i swap an ek ill need a jumper harness but is there anything specific for an auto swap ill need?

If anybody has experience with auto b series swaps i would greatly appreciate your help. And if anybody wants to tell me its not possible you can click the back button because ive seen cars in person with auto b swaps.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto B16 Swap in an EG/EK?

Anybody with experience on this have any feedback?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Making sure you get all the mounts with your auto b16 swap is imperative, I too have seen auto b16 swaps into eg chassis and the owners claimed no mods with the correct mounts. I am waiting until I come across the correct priced EG auto shell, since I already have the B16 auto trans with all mounts, shift cables, intermediate shaft, kickdown cable with TB rotor, etc.

Good luck, since most people hate on them.

Last edited by tlarimer; 05-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle_Willie
Ok i know this topic has been beat to death but ive never heard any true answers.

First of all.....1. yes i can drive a 5 speed.....2. im not worried about making alot of power or anything....and 3. I DO NOT plan on using a GS/LS/RS auto tranny.

Im wanting to buy an auto d series civic to do an auto b16 swap on. Ive done swaps before so i know most of the basics. I drive an Ls-vtec ek coupe with a GSR tranny daily so i know how to drive a 5 speed. Im just looking to do something different that you never see. Im either going to order a b16a sir swap with an auto tranny or ill just pick up a b16 and buy a b16 or gsr auto tranny off of ebay.

Im just curious to know what mounts to use. I know the driver side mount is the same, and im pretty sure the b series auto/manual t bracket is the same(correct me if im wrong). And ive heard people say that a d series auto tranny mount will work.....but some people say you need a b series auto tranny mount.

And i would like to know what harness to use. Will the plugs for the tranny of a d series plug into a b series tranny? And what ecu do i use?(most swaps come with the ecu but if it doesnt i want to have the right thing)
Use the D series auto harness, add VTEC/Knock sensor wiring and call it a day. For the ECU OBD1 P30-900 JDM auto B16A ecu

And are there any other things im going to need to do this swap? I know if i swap an ek ill need a jumper harness but is there anything specific for an auto swap ill need?
Make sure you get a OBD1 M24A b series auto tranny, EK OBD2 use different electronics and is not compatible

If anybody has experience with auto b series swaps i would greatly appreciate your help. And if anybody wants to tell me its not possible you can click the back button because ive seen cars in person with auto b swaps.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tlarimer
Making sure you get all the mounts with your auto b16 swap is imperative, I too have seen auto b16 swaps into eg chassis and the owners claimed no mods with the correct mounts. I am waiting until I come across the correct priced EG auto shell, since I already have the B16 auto trans with all mounts, shift cables, intermediate shaft, kickdown cable with TB rotor, etc.

Good luck, since most people hate on them.
Thank you! You are litterally the only person ive ever seen answer this question. Do you have any suggestions where to get a swap that will come with everything. I know ive seen them on tigerjapanese before but i didnt know if they come with the mounts and everything else needed
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're going to try it make it easy on yourself and do it in an EG, Like was posted above get a B16A automatic M24A tranny, mounts (B-series auto rear T-bracket is different IIRC, but can be sourced from a '94 - '01 Integra LS) and automatic OBD1 B16A ECU. You can probably do the same for the upper mount. Most of the importers will include the brackets and mounts btw. Or just call when you're ordering and tell them you need them. The biggest thing is that you get an M24A B16A tranny.

EKs are much less doable for numerous reasons.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
If you're going to try it make it easy on yourself and do it in an EG, Like was posted above get a B16A automatic M24A tranny, mounts (B-series auto rear T-bracket is different IIRC, but can be sourced from a '94 - '01 Integra LS) and automatic OBD1 B16A ECU. You can probably do the same for the upper mount. Most of the importers will include the brackets and mounts btw. Or just call when you're ordering and tell them you need them. The biggest thing is that you get an M24A B16A tranny.

EKs are much less doable for numerous reasons.
Ok thanks for the info guys....guy just offered me an auto Y8 ek sedan for my lsv coupe.....does anybody know whats different about swappin the setup into an EK?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Uncle_Willie
Ok thanks for the info guys....guy just offered me an auto Y8 ek sedan for my lsv coupe.....does anybody know whats different about swappin the setup into an EK?
A lot. There are clearance issues, wiring issues, mount issues. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but sure as hell isn't easy or worth doing, it's really not worth doing in either chassis, but it's at least a lot easier in an EG. B16As are torqueless with an extremely close ratio 5 speed, I can't imagine how much more they suck with a wide ratio 4 speed automatic.

Last edited by 94EG8; 05-06-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Trial User

Has my interest! I've got a busted up left leg now and find stick hard.

IIRC, Honda do a B16 auto SiR EK for JDM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Yojimbo!
IIRC, Honda do a B16 auto SiR EK for JDM.
Frame rails are different among other things.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 94EG8
A lot. There are clearance issues, wiring issues, mount issues. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but sure as hell isn't easy or worth doing, it's really not worth doing in either chassis, but it's at least a lot easier in an EG. B16As are torqueless with an extremely close ratio 5 speed, I can't imagine how much more they suck with a wide ratio 4 speed automatic.

OK, how about bolting up the B16 auto box to a B18C4 or even a B20?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Yojimbo!
OK, how about bolting up the B16 auto box to a B18C4 or even a B20?
There's no proper ECU to control both the engine and transmission. Remember that the B16A is one of very few automatic B-series engines that controls the transmission using only the ECU, most others have a separate TCM and look for more sensors. You can chip automatic ECUs but you can't adjust the shift points, so I suppose you could do say a GS-R/ITR swap with a chipped automatic P30, but it'll still never shift the way it should.