Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to Auto swap... LS into EG Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Auto swap... LS into EG Civic

i've been searching for about 45 minutes now and only finding unrelated material so now i figured i'd better just make a thread. haha. hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

i'm thinking about buying my friend's automatic EG civic coupe for a daily driver. it's in great shape but has high (near 200k) miles. engine's fine but i want to rebuild some things for reliability and honestly i don't want to put any money into a single cam.

my question is... how different is putting an automatic LS motor into an EG than putting a 5 speed into it? wiring? shift 'linkage'? mounts? i want to keep AC, power steering, cruise control, etc etc.

anything your guys can help with would be great. a link to where this has been discussed before would be perfect! in the meantime i'll keep searching
Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Auto swap... LS into EG Civic (DC2.2_GSR)

not sure if you saw this while searching but search user Dasfinc . he has a write up about an ls swap into his civic but it also includes a section where he explains how it would be different for an automatic
Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dropping in the engine and transmission is straight forward the electric aspect I'm not sure.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Auto swap... LS into EG Civic (slvrcvc93)

davefrompa.. i just searched his username and i found something that i think is the thread you were talking about, but i can't find the automatic info you were talking about.

slvrcvc93 that's what i was thinking also, that the mechanical parts should be pretty easy to do, but i'll just need to run all of the 'teg wiring and whatnot.

can anyone else confirm anything already mentioned? i just want to be sure before i start buying parts.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, I'm becoming Notorious!

Essentially, the Automatic LS motor has a few SMALL differences between a manual one, mostly just Brackets that are different. (the Rear T-Bracket, and the bracket that supports the intake manifold, and another bracket that connects the block to the trans are all different from the manual car.)

You CAN put a Automatic LS Transmission AND LS motor into an EG, and assuming the EG is a DX/LX, or is a 1992, it is a 'plug and play' swap if you use the harness from the Integra.

The AXLES are the same in Automatic and Manual Integra's.

I've read a NUMBER of articles stating that you need to notch or hammer in your frame on the passenger side to FIT a B-series automatic transmission.

Only info I do not have for you is the linkage, I have NO idea how automatic linkage between an EG and a DC Differ I'm afraid.

A thing to keep in mind is that Automatic EG's have a different flange on the pass side frame rail for the transmission mount, that is NOT the same as the manual ones (as in if you do a manual conversion, you will need to use custom mounts, or cut and re-weld the flanges) so basically, A Auto to manual swap is NOT as easy as one might think.

My recommendation:

Daily Drive it, Don't swap it, Cheaper to just buy a manual 92-95 car if you want something to mod.

If the motor kicks the bucket, drop in another stocker, they can be had for like $100 bux and enjoy the MPG's

Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the LS 'teg use a seperate TCM for the automatic transmission, the civic definately doesn't have one. I would think this would be a royal pain in the *** to wire, and this is coming for someone who likes automative wiring.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the LS 'teg use a seperate TCM for the automatic transmission, the civic definately doesn't have one. I would think this would be a royal pain in the *** to wire, and this is coming for someone who likes automative wiring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it does (have a seperate TCM)

I shoulda said it in more detail, but when I say "Its a 'plug and play' swap if you use the harness from the integra" I mean the whole shebang when you are plating with an Auto Tradgic.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dasfinc)

sweet.. good deal man. thanks! that's exactly the info i was looking for.

i think i may try to play with it and swap it in anyway for the hell of it. i'm only looking for an automatic DD, i definitely don't need another 5 speed car to mod. haha. at the same time, i don't want a complete turd of an automatic. an LS would at least have some more torque to help get around.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC2.2_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2.2_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet.. good deal man. thanks! that's exactly the info i was looking for.

i think i may try to play with it and swap it in anyway for the hell of it. i'm only looking for an automatic DD, i definitely don't need another 5 speed car to mod. haha. at the same time, i don't want a complete turd of an automatic. an LS would at least have some more torque to help get around. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Automatic LS motors are DOGS, Tranny kills any power they do have

Mainly I've seen this done (no offense) with handicaped people who physically cannot drive stick, but still want to have some fun. There is a Automatic GSR trans in Japan that helps put some life into it, but it costs a fair amount of money.

Glad to help!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Honda automatic anything is gonna be slow, its actually probably easier to swap in a 5 speed than wire up that TCM. I've really never understood people who wanted a 5 speed project car and an automatic daily driver. All i drive are standards, everytime i drive an automatic i usually almost launch myself through the windsheild the first time i go to slow down and look for the clutch and find only a huge brake pedal, i just don't see the appeal of an automatic, to me its just boredom inducing.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

you're right.. it would be slow. i'm not expecting a race car. i want an automatic daily driver because with an H22A Integra GSR project and a gutted, caged, stiff, LOUD and fast RB25DET 240sx as my two 5 speed cars.... it's pretty safe to say that on a rainy or snowy day i want to jump in a car that is going to get me point A to point B as comfortably and boring-ly as possible. creeping in traffic with a twin disc clutch in the RB S13 is nearly impossible. lol.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want a reliable auto daily driver, Defiantly leave it D-series, those motors last FOREVER.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dasfinc)

good advice. i've been reading more about the single cams and i definitely changed my mind completely. sounds like rebuilding the D is going to be perfect. thanks for the info about the b-series guys! good stuff to know even if i go another route
Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Auto swap... LS into EG Civic

sorry to bring this post back from the dead but it is exactly what I a, trying to do now... so I have a motor and transmission out of a 91 teg ls and i am planning on putting itinto my wifes 92 civic.. all i need is the harness and ecu's out the teg and the auto will work with some frame beating and so on correct...?