Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to 5 speed swap completed!! Do's and Don'ts! 56K go do an oil change and come back ....... seri

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you do the auto-manual swap yourself?? btw nicely done!! 5 spd is so much better to drive...
Old 07-01-2003, 08:33 AM

for passenger side mount, you need the mount from manual tranny, that's what I did
Old 07-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to 5 speed swap completed!! Do's and Don'ts! 56K go do an oil change and come back .......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KiDSoL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HOw Did you rewire yours, mine is still there and one time it slide out of park and my key wouldnt come out and car wouldnt start.

The guy that did mine just glued a sheet of aluminum across the whole and put the shifter through.

How did you do the passenger side mounting? I bought a special mount for the swap. Did you Reweld and bracket?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sup kidsol...he didn't need a conversion mount cuz his is an EK...yours looks to be the 92-95 which requires the conversion mount..i used the same one..to help you with the wiring which is the same for the 96+ here you go:
What you need to do is cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly, and leave about 5 inches of wire.
There are two really fat wires. This is so that you can start the car. You will need to connect these two together. Or what you can do is, run these wires to the switch on the clutch pedal assembly.
Then there is a black wire you will need to connect to a green wire with a white stripe. This puts the car in “park” so you can take the key out. Then on your tranny there should be a two wire plug with a yellow wire and green with black strip, get some speaker wire and splice in and Run these two wires through the firewall to the yellow wire and a green wire with black stripe at the big plug that you cut off from the auto shifter. Now your reverse lights should work.
Here's a few pics of the install I did on my car:

Old 07-01-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (AcuraEL)

that's a good project, congrats! Nothing like manual!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (ghettodub)

a friend of mine did this in his 93 prelude....looks good.
Good job
Old 07-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slowdx)

I was looking over your pics

Why does the flywheel look like its been sitting in a pool for a year ? Did you even bother getting it resurfaced ?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

I was also wanting to do a AT to MT swap.
How much did you pay all together for parts?
And how much do you think it would cost for labor if I went in somewhere to get it done?
Thanks and great job
Old 07-02-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Re: (JDMekCIVIC81)

Parts cost me a total of about $700, probably a little less, that's just off the top of my head. Depends on what kind of car you got. B-Series engines will probably be a little more.

DO NOT take it to a shop. Shops charge around $1500 worth of labor, and you probably won't have your car for about a week. I suggest doing it yourself, or finding someone who knows how to do it to help.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Re: (Jswpstdoff)

thanx alot for the awesome post. i am doin the swap this spring. so i might contact you or no_soup for some help.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stillencivic)

yeah my buddy bout to do a auto to manual swap so this is a good thread for him to get help on. i might ask u questions if we need to aight. thanx man.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (paul_type_r)

two more things and ill be ready to go on my conversion
Old 06-05-2004, 03:46 AM

Damn someone brought this back from 2003. Good info though
Old 06-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how hard was it..? seems to be a lot of work....
Old 06-05-2004, 05:24 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Auto to 5 speed swap completed!! Do's and Don'ts! 56K go do an oil change and come back .......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smith Wise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i would do GSR but it seems like they're way OVERPRICED!!! $750 - $900 more for 10 hp & 8 lbs of tq. still debating, i'm so indecisive </TD></TR></TABLE>

You underestmate the potential of a 1.8 gsr motor v. 1.6 si motor.

With over 2,000 posts I thought you would have gained a little more knowledge than that. Do a search on modified b16's v. b18's and you will see that the power that the gsr's makes, a b16 could never achieve.

IMO, I am so glad I chose a gsr motor over the sirII motor I was about to purchase. *However, the b16's are great motors, please dont get me wrong on that one, but you guys know what I am talking about.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

how did you repin to trick the car to think it was in park?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smith Wise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, hey! Don't diss the radio. Never, EVER skips one me!!! I've had it for a year AND it doesn't skip!!! What else can I ask for?? It's not that flashy at all, so people won't be bashing my window to steal, IF I leave the removable face plate in the car! JVC =

AND driving through downtown Atlanta occasionally with a lowered vehicle is USUALLY not CD Player friendly.

Edit: Does my interior look that bad?? Wherever I go I usually get compliments, and questions</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha, I found this post funny.
I've never had problems with cd players skipping riding through downtown, stock or not.

Yeah man, your interior is all painted blue and ricey. Kinda ironic that you put IL's stupid quote in your signature.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice conversion though
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 AM

I hate to bring this back from the dead, but does anyone know if you need to cut up the auto mounts and brackets, and weld the ones from a manual in a 99 Civic EX? Or do the mounts and brackets off a manual 6th gen DX bolt up? I am asking as I am also doing an auto to manual conversion sometime next month.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:49 AM

****, wow I am such a dumbass. Ok, nevermind I found my answer...
Old 06-22-2004, 11:10 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16y8-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****, wow I am such a dumbass. Ok, nevermind I found my answer...</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha!

anyway, since it was dredged up and I'm from the ATL also....

my kenwood never skips downtown nor in the area I live and I know exactly where all the worst pot holes are.

not to mention but ya, I'm tossing in another thumbs down for the blue painted interior. your car is GREEN...just like mine. not BLUE.

do yourself a favor and go get some laquer thinner and get all that stuff off those plastic panels.

If you want interior contrast at least don't paint it, get a trim overlay package off ebay or something.

nice swap on the manual setup, I wish I could go auto with mine. lol.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 PM
I want to be MADE into Ice-T

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paranoid Android &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow that interior is gross.

Nice job on the swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good job tho
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 AM

Hey OP, do you have a sn on AIM or an email..would like to ask you some questions. Thanks for the great post! Gives me confidence that I can do my own swap....!

mike
Old 07-29-2004, 11:40 AM

wow a year later and still the same ignorant comments.

my car looked like that a year ago, it has changed, but it seems a lot of H-T Fucktards have remained the same.

Modified by Smith Wise at 4:00 PM 7/29/2004
Old 07-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GJ..

I like blue too...just not that much..
Old 07-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smith Wise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, hey! Don't diss the radio. Never, EVER skips one me!!! I've had it for a year AND it doesn't skip!!! What else can I ask for?? It's not that flashy at all, so people won't be bashing my window to steal, IF I leave the removable face plate in the car! JVC =

AND driving through downtown Atlanta occasionally with a lowered vehicle is USUALLY not CD Player friendly.

Edit: Does my interior look that bad?? Wherever I go I usually get compliments, and questions</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's cuz yer talkin' to all the 16 year old girls, and junior high kids, ugly interior

great job on the switch tho! i hope to do that one day myself!

Quick Reply: Auto to 5 speed swap completed!! Do's and Don'ts! 56K go do an oil change and come back ....... seri