Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ATTN: People w/ oem fogs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: People w/ oem fogs

I installed oem fogs on my ej8.. When i put on the highbeams, the foglights go off, is this normal... anyway to get them to stay on?? One of the main reasons y i got them was for more visability w/ the highbeams on.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Depo stay on with the highbeams on.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duggy)

Where in the fuse-box did you plug them in? Which slot/plug?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

I just followed the directions... The harness under the dash plugged into a 1 pin connector behind the fuse box, into the switch, and between the headlight harness... There is an inline fuse.. Im going to try unplugging the connector between the switch harness n the headlight harness, maybe thats y its not working on highbeam
Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8VTEC)

I hope the mods and jdm don't mind me posting this site but...
JdmLifestyles did a really nice write-up on these; this is what I followed for mine, and they work great. I know he posted this on H-T before, but I didn't feel like searching for it. I had his direct-site bookmarked though : http://jdmlyfestyle.com/Depo%20fogs%20install.htm
Scroll down, i think he uses plug 2.

edit- I just noticed you have an ej.... I doubt they're the same for an EH.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ATTN: People w/ oem fogs (EJ8VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I installed oem fogs on my ej8.. When i put on the highbeams, the foglights go off, is this normal... anyway to get them to stay on?? One of the main reasons y i got them was for more visability w/ the highbeams on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

THis is normal. Fog lights, believe it or not, are meant for fog. You are not suppose to drive through fog with your highbeams on. So when you have your high beams on you are not suppose to be in fog and logically your fog lights are not meant to be on.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: ATTN: People w/ oem fogs (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

THis is normal. Fog lights, believe it or not, are meant for fog. You are not suppose to drive through fog with your highbeams on. So when you have your high beams on you are not suppose to be in fog and logically your fog lights are not meant to be on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

also believe it or not in most states a cop can give you a ticket for having fogs on when it is not foggy out (i believe its on the lines of the seatbelt law here in PA where it can't be the only violation to warrent a ticket) but anyways if you are having problems figuring it out, you can do what i did with my lights and just directly wire them up to the battery, put an inline fuse on it, and wire in a switch in the cabin wherever you chose. that way you can have the lights on at any time.

i do want to say though that all these people who drive with bright fogs on are annoying, especially idots in trucks that do it. fogs are meant for foggy conditions, if you cant see at night either get glasses, better bulbs, or just dont drive. not to flame you personally, just people in general that do it and dont realize

Modified by homestarrunner96 at 2:03 PM 12/12/2005
Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: People w/ oem fogs (homestarrunner96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homestarrunner96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i do want to say though that all these people who drive with bright fogs on are annoying, especially idots in trucks that do it. fogs are meant for foggy conditions, if you cant see at night either get glasses, better bulbs, or just dont drive. not to flame you personally, just people in general that do it and dont realize</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not so much a problem with brightness as it is with poor quality and no alignment. A lot of newer cars out there and whatever crap fog lights you buy from ebay don't really give a good columnated light source, they are also poorly aimed. I do drive with my fog lights on most of the time at night. They are made by bosch and give a very directed light source. If I stand 20' in front of the car there will be no light whatsoever above my knees. It does not blind drivers. The reason I use them is they are aimed slightly to the sides of the car as to give better perifieral vision. I have follwed friends of mine in the road and asked them if it was blinding, they said no.

The other point I make is that no one bother's to aim their headlights anymore. This should be done every 6 months and it so ******* easy. But fog lights housed in a plastic bumber really can't be aimed all that well. Mine are mounted directly to the metal sub bumper frame (I don't know the technical name for it) and are adjustable in all 3 axis.

So yes I am guilty of driving with fogs when it's not foggy but I make damned sure that my lights don't blind people.

If you want I can try to get a pic of my lights mounted and turned on.

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: ATTN: People w/ oem fogs (old man neri)

haha, thats cool, i know what you are saying and yeah most of the time its people that don't have them properly installed. as for me i have some cheap after market ones that the bulbs are only 10watts and they are yellow and more of for decoration than purpose...which i rarely use and actually took off my car now. but yeah, not to say fog lights are bad or anything i just hate the ones that arnt lined up and glare all over you in your rear view mirror. i just got pwned so now i'll leave the floor open for other people to flame
Old 12-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homestarrunner96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i just got pwned so now i'll leave the floor open for other people to flame </TD></TR></TABLE>

There was no flame or pwnage going on. Just discussion. Don't worry, **** glare drives me nuts too.

Modified by old man neri at 12:37 PM 12/12/2005
Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homestarrunner96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

also believe it or not in most states a cop can give you a ticket for having fogs on when it is not foggy out </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the way the law reads your only sapossed to put out so many watts or something of light or something like that, So when you combine your regular lights and your fogs your ok, but most times the brights are the max allowed so that puts you over so thats why they shut off automaticly with your brights.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the OEM setup will function like you mentioned, to bypass it remove the 15amp fuse in the fog harness then connect a standard automotive relay like follows...
30 - to battery via 12G wire - through 30amp fuse
87 - red/white wire from combination switch (runs from fuse removed previously to the fog relay)
86 - splice into option connector you mentioned before (center of the group of three - park lights)
85 - ground
Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ATTN: People w/ oem fogs (EJ8VTEC)

My JDM fogs don't do that. Guess JDM people think it's ok to blind people. LOL

Think this works...

https://honda-tech.com/zero...11346
Old 12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ATTN: People w/ oem fogs (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The other point I make is that no one bother's to aim their headlights anymore. This should be done every 6 months and it so ******* easy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is the proper way to aim your headlights?

I have heard a lot of different things and am not sure what is right. Ive heard everything from the drivers side light should shine right to illuminate signs and the floor while the passenger side crosses over the beam lighting in front of the driver. Also heard both should not be over 2 ft above the ground 15ft in front of the car. Ive also heard they should both be pointing forward and slightly in.

What is correct and how do you adjust them? Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/....html
^^great article on it.