Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ATTN-HONDA GURU'S...New Civic Owner In Need of Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN-HONDA GURU'S...New Civic Owner In Need of Help

Ok...let me start by saying thanks in advance to anyone who reads this post and replies with creditable information.

I recently bought my first civic...(yay) 1994 DX..it's got potential along with a few problems..

1st problem,
Oil on the bottom of the spark plugs.. By bottom i mean the part that screws into the motor, not where the spark plug wire slides on. I recently did a tune-up when I purchased the car and all four spark plugs are covered in oil...I read a few posts of people saying I need a "valve cover gasket set" and some said it's "bad piston rings"...Which one is correct??

2nd problem,
The transmission (if your sitting in the drivers seat changing gears) feels funny..Allow me to elaborate. By funny I mean the gears feel too close together. When I'm in 3rd shifting to 4th, it wants to go into second gear. Is there something underneath the shift boot that's possibly worn out???

Those are the only problems Im really having with the car. Besides the fact that the previous owner went bondo happy with the body kit and car.

LAST QUESTION.
I'd like to know what motor would drop right in with no modifications? Right now the engine in the car says D15B on the block. I'm assuming it's stock (minus the intake) as well as the tranny. I'm not familiar in wiring up V-TEC engines nor do I feel I would have the money. I'm just looking for a motor and tranny combo that would drop right in and maximize performance!

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ATTN-HONDA GURU'S...New Civic Owner In Need of Help (russo1994)

Depending where the oil is would determine what's wrong. If the oil is on the part of the plug where the spark jumps, it's rings or valve guides. If it's the metal part where your socket goes to screw it in, it's the valve cover seals. Those can leak, but it's like $20.

With the stock shifter setup, the gears don't really feel...defined. The shifter bushings that come stock are very soft. I would recommend switching to urathane bushings. After I put mine on, the gears are incredibly easy to find. You can find the bushings for ~$7 online. Search for Civic or Integra urathane shift bushings, shift bushes, something along that line. 1992-00 Civic and 1994-00 Integra use the same one. They aren't hard to install, unless things are stiff and you end up giving yourself a black eye while pulling the shift linkage off. (yeah, I did it).

Your car should have the D15B7, not the D15B, unless it was replaced. The D15B was a JDM engine that came in a few variants, both VTEC and not. The VTEC version isn't too bad, and would actually be about the best DIRECT swap with ZERO modification required. I'll just say now, you can drop anything you want in, as long as you know what parts you'll need. Integra/Civic SI, Honda Accord and prelude DOHC, even DSM engines can be used. Now, it's up to you to search. Everything you need to know has already been asked.

Oh, and wiring VTEC can be a little...interesting. PM me and I'll help you out a little if I can.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN-HONDA GURU'S...New Civic Owner In Need of Help (thumper64)

Thanks for the info. If my swap meet phone worked I would take a pic of the block. All it says is D15B. there's no Y or 7 on it. Is it possible he changed the motor?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and for more specifics on the oily spark plug, it's covered in oil on the part of the plug you would gap prior to install.