Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ATTN: engine sensor GURU'S. Please help...long story

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story

Hi, I don't post much but I read a lot and check back here ever so often because it's the best Honda tech forum around for info .

My problem is this, I installed a Haltech air/fuel meter a few months ago in my EG. I simply spliced the wires into my o2 sensor and it worked fine until I took it out. A day or two after I took it out my car started running like ****, unstable idle and misfiring a lot. I thought it was something to do with my Field vtec controller so I tried turning it off and what do you know the car ran smooth right away. So I figured the vtec controller was causing the problem and just left it off for a while, about two months went by and ever so often I would turn it back on to see if it would still run like **** and it did. So I ended up buying a new Apexi VAFC thinking it would solve the problem and I would be able to adjust my fuel settings again. I installed it with a friend that is an expert at performance Honda’s and other JDM cars he has done many VAFC installs without any problems. All the wires were checked twice, settings were correct and the TPS was calibrated. Started the car and she ran smooth, seemed good drove around the block a couple of times and it was perfect, but a couple minutes after I started adjusted the fuel settings she went back to unstable idle and misfiring. WTF?? I am still getting the same problem as with the old Field vtec controller, unstable idling and misfiring . At this point I was clueless why this is happening and I don’t get any check engine lights, not one. At this point I knew it wasn’t either vtec controllers but something else wrong with the car that only gets affected when I adjusted the fuel settings with the controllers. I was thinking because I spliced the O2 sensor for the Haltech meter that it may have damaged the O2 sensor somehow but for some reason not showing a CEL for it. So I replaced it with a working O2 sensor from a friend’s car and I still get the same problem.

Please help me, any thoughts or possible solutions would be appreciated.

Here is my car setup,
93 EG hatch
OBDI lsvtec motor.
RC saturated 310cc
chipped p28 ecu
94 octane, Sunoco 94

I think thats all the would be needed but let me know if I missed something.

Thanks in advance

Modified by MTP04 at 3:37 PM 1/3/2004

Modified by MTP04 at 3:38 PM 1/3/2004
Old 01-03-2004, 05:29 AM

Default Re: ATTN: engine sensor GURU'S. Please help...long story (MTP04)

Anybody??
Old 01-03-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (MTP04)

bump
Old 01-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (MTP04)

Hrmm...Might want to check your timing. I would get a WB02 and try to make sure that you're getting close to 14.7 at idle and 13.5 at WOT. If you are just trying to guess on the VAFC you are looking for trouble.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, next thing I did once I started having problems. I bought some OBD checking software that you can hook up to your laptop. I think it was like 100 bucks for the software and the cable to connect to the car and you can go in and see which sensor sees what. That saved me from buying a new MAP sensor when I thought I needed one. I wish I could help you out more, but have no idea whats going on.

EDIT: What the **** happend here..I posted this after your last post (which is now below this one.....crazy)

Modified by Ricey McRicerton at 2:08 PM 1/3/2004
Old 01-03-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (Ricey McRicerton)

Hi Ricey McRicerton, thanks for replying. I actually was on the dyno when I found out about this cause thats when I made the fuel adjustments, I didnt say it in the first post just cause I didnt want to make the story even longer with something that didnt seem important. But thanks for your thought.

I know my motor is runing rich accross the whole rpm range because I was able to make a run on the dyno with the wideband and it was between 11 to 12.

My timing is at 16 right now, I tried different timing points but no change in problem.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (Ricey McRicerton)

haha I dont know what happend with the post.

Ricey McRicerton, you said "That saved me from buying a new MAP sensor when I thought I needed one" what was it causing the problem?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:36 AM

Anyone else?

I have checked distributor and plugs and changed map sensor and still having the same problem, basically starts to idle rough and misfire after about 3 minutes from a cold start.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This may sound stupid but hang with me. I have an obd2 B20 block. I also have a obd1 GSR head....with obd1 everything else. I have had the idling problems....since I got the car. Turns out the distributor was from the B20 and I need a obd1 distributor. Maybe some sensor on your car is not compatible with the obd of your choice. Just a thought.
I also had the misfires....
Old 01-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (GTlvr82)

In the VAFC settings mode, is the Sensor Number correct? I think you can adjust between 01-08? I think setting it to sensor number 06 is right. We tried messing around with different sensor numbers on my friends Integra and as we played with it, the idle started to get shittier and shittier and finally ended up stalling the motor. Just a thought...
Old 01-07-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (GTlvr82 and b16a ferio)

GTlvr82, my entier motor is from the OBD2 generation and run by a OBD1 harness and ecu but I had this motor on the same setup running perfect for two years before so I doubt this problem has anything to do with the OBD1 and 2 mixup.

B16a ferio, my sensor settings were always set to 06 06 in the vafc. I dont think it has anything to do with the vafc unit itself, I think its something else in the car but I could be wrong.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MTP04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
GTlvr82, my entier motor is from the OBD2 generation and run by a OBD1 harness and ecu but I had this motor on the same setup running perfect for two years before so I doubt this problem has anything to do with the OBD1 and 2 mixup.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well it was worth a shot...good luck.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Engine misfiring, running real rich. Please help...long story (GTlvr82)

Thanks , but so far I dont seem to have any.