Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ASR Subframe Combo's What you have? Hows it feel?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASR Subframe Combo's What you have? Hows it feel?

I have seen ASR rear subframe with blox, skunk2, and function 7 combo packages. Just curious to what you have, and how much it helped the overall suspension feel to your car? Plan on purchasing a set within a month.

Personal I want to get the Blue ASR subframe with blox blue Rear LCA's just to match my cars black/blue theme.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ASR Subframe Combo's What you have? Hows it feel?

ASR with Omni arms and CTR 22mm with ES bushings. The control arms dont make much difference, if your bushings are bad then it should be a little better though. Function 7 are top notch but pricey. Now that I think of it I need to lube the bushings soon.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, I wouldn't trust an aftermarket LCA on the horrendous roads in the Northeast.

I run ASR + ES D-brackets and bushings + OEM CTR 22mm sway + Blox end links. LCA are stock with Prothane bushings.

"Feel" is a relative term, but big rear sway bars in FWD cars really help to neutralize the handling. Just be aware that you give up some rear end grip when conditions are slippery.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool thanks for the info guys, I think imma go with the Blue on Blue, ASR/BLOX it matches my cars theme etc. I have blue seatbelts, blue rims, blue harness bar, and blue samco hoses. Blue subframe and lca's soon too boot. I also want to get the suspension techniques rear sway bar next time I have about 300.00 more dollars to dump into the suspension.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94CivicSi
Personally, I wouldn't trust an aftermarket LCA on the horrendous roads in the Northeast.

I run ASR + ES D-brackets and bushings + OEM CTR 22mm sway + Blox end links. LCA are stock with Prothane bushings.

"Feel" is a relative term, but big rear sway bars in FWD cars really help to neutralize the handling. Just be aware that you give up some rear end grip when conditions are slippery.
We've had no issues with customers in the NE and Canada running our arms. A couple of our long term test candidates are in Canada and have used our arms for over 7 years with no problems.

Our arms come with a lifetime warranty and if you have any issues with our arms, we will gladly repair/refurbish/replace them as need be. The warranty also covers the poly bushings in our arms. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about our products or our warranty policies.

-A
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to run down the F7 guy at all, but personally I'm against aftermarket LCAs unless you have a reason.

I've slid into a curb before hard enough to bend a steel factory control arm. I think an aftermarket aluminum one would have sheared and slammed the car down, causing a lot more damage than a control arm and an alignment.

If you're getting an ASR combo, I'd get the subframe/sway combo rather than the subframe/LCA combo. The sway is going to make a MUCH bigger difference than the LCAs.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostntofu
I have seen ASR rear subframe with blox, skunk2, and function 7 combo packages. Just curious to what you have, and how much it helped the overall suspension feel to your car? Plan on purchasing a set within a month.

Personal I want to get the Blue ASR subframe with blox blue Rear LCA's just to match my cars black/blue theme.
I have a set of tein flex, si front sway, front/rear omni LCA, ASR subframe w/itr rear sway, and yes it does help. When I first swapped my motor all I had on my car at the time was H&R sport springs with tokico blues and my car would feel splashy higher than 80 mph, and I could feel my car flex on turns. Then I went with the current set up, and it was night and day between the difference. The only thing I regret about my current set up is going with omni, because of the defective bushing that they won't replace for free, so F7 is something you should take into thought. Every piece will ultimately change how your car feels, so just make sure you do A LOT of RESEARCH first! If you don't want to go with a quality LCA then just stick with the stock ones, but at least replace your bushings(everyone has a preference on which type) on those.

Hope this helps
Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the asr plate and skunk2 lca's. i love the asr plate but i hate the lca's, all the bushings cracked in them. so i called skunk2 up and had to buy a new set. wish i would have just bought the function7's. =(
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

asrwith itr rear sway bar and skunk2 lca's same here the bushings onthe lca's broke but skunks2 sent me a free set of bushing no problem since
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
Not to run down the F7 guy at all, but personally I'm against aftermarket LCAs unless you have a reason.

I've slid into a curb before hard enough to bend a steel factory control arm. I think an aftermarket aluminum one would have sheared and slammed the car down, causing a lot more damage than a control arm and an alignment.

If you're getting an ASR combo, I'd get the subframe/sway combo rather than the subframe/LCA combo. The sway is going to make a MUCH bigger difference than the LCAs.
HOWEVER -- we never recommend our arms for daily drivers. From day one, our arms were designed specifically for race/track cars. This has always been our stand, and we've always stuck to this:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/lca-pros-cons-1376578/#post17785387

We've had a couple customers with our arms who have gotten into the same type of accident as you had described (amongst others). One case in particular, the driver slammed sideways into a concrete curb at about 70mph. Our arms worked as designed and held up (we design our arms to exceed a 15G shock load without breaking) and bent very slightly. However the car (CRX) sustained chassis damage due to the speeds involved.

The customer sent the arms back to us and we replaced the bent under warranty while the other arm was intact and passed our inspections, and now they are on his EG. The following are pics from our post incident analysis:

(the last image is a customer pic -- the arms were our earlier V2 arms from 2004, hence the single sway bar mounting hole)

Last edited by Function7; 02-04-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ASR subframe w/BLOX LCAs, BLOX sway bar. The subframe brace is only there to keep your from tearing out your subframe when running w/a sway bar. It will have little, if any, effect on handling. The LCAs were necessary to use the sway bar, as my stock EG LCAs don't have mounting holes. Same with them...I felt no difference in handling until AFTER I mounted the sway bar. Then it was a BIG difference.

fm
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, F7 ftw.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those aluminum LCAs are pretty strong. It's not going to shear off unless you REALLY hit a curb...in which case you're in trouble anyway.

Besides...would you rather bend a control arm or tweak the subframe? I'd rather have the LCA act as a "fuse" than be so solid that it tears out the subframe or something.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ASR subframe, 24mm swaybar a,d endlink kit is the ****. I have it on my car w/ blox LCAs and love it. night and day difference in handling.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Besides...would you rather bend a control arm or tweak the subframe? I'd rather have the LCA act as a "fuse" than be so solid that it tears out the subframe or something.
Correct, that was our philosophy when we designed the arms.We would rather see the arm bend somewhat and absorb the impact instead of causing subframe damage. Also we designed it so that it would bend rather than break so that the owner can limp back to the pits/home instead of being completely disabled and require a tow truck.

-A
Old 02-05-2010, 05:20 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by Function7
Correct, that was our philosophy when we designed the arms.We would rather see the arm bend somewhat and absorb the impact instead of causing subframe damage. Also we designed it so that it would bend rather than break so that the owner can limp back to the pits/home instead of being completely disabled and require a tow truck.

-A
Wow, I'm very impressed with those pics.

I agree that I would rather have it bend than break, which was why I was leery of aluminum arms. Aluminum is so much softer than steel, and I've seen aluminum parts snap before (even stuff like high-dollar forged wheels), but it does look like you guys have a really good product.

Just out of curiosity, are those cast or forged? I would have thought that even the highest-end LCAs are cast, but now I'm not so sure
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Black Blox LCA

Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LCA's are nothing but cosmetic upgrades. Getting a nice 22mm sway bar with your ASR subframe will really improve the handling. LCAs are just bling and do nothing. Additionally, the bushings on BLOX LCAs are fairly crappy, and you'll end up having to replace the bushings within a year or two depending on how hard you drive your car.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by langjairicer
depending on how hard you drive your car.
right.. im going back to chrome omni lca, bought the car with these blox lca
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of great info here. Anyone running the ASR sub and ASR 24mm kit with endlinks on their 96-00 with stock LCAs? Any pics or comments?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that I would rather have it bend than break, which was why I was leery of aluminum arms. Aluminum is so much softer than steel, and I've seen aluminum parts snap before (even stuff like high-dollar forged wheels), but it does look like you guys have a really good product.

Just out of curiosity, are those cast or forged? I would have thought that even the highest-end LCAs are cast, but now I'm not so sure
They are neither cast nor forged. Our arms (as well as our other products) start as solid cold-extruded 7075 aluminum bars (i.e. the real definition of "billet"), similar to the ones used in airframes and carries similar certifications/batch tracking info, etc. Our arms are then CNC machined directly from these solid bars. Each piece we use starts at a little over 7 lbs and we machine off almost all of it, leaving an arm that weighs under 2 lbs (actually a little under 900 grams per side, including bushings, for the EG/DC model).

(ran out to our shop floor to take some crappy pics of 1/2 done arms and one piece of the extruded bars we use)

I'm aware that almost all of our competition start with cast or hot forged blanks because this process is typically cheaper due to a lower amount of waste generated. The blanks are close to the final shape of the arm and a little CNC machining is done to complete the part.

We believe that our material selection, manufacturing processes and engineering is what differentiates us from our competition. We believe that if we do it "the right way" instead of cutting corners, that the quality of our products will speak for themselves, and because of this we are willing and able to back them up with a lifetime warranty.

-A
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

^^hmmmm... very nice^^

If I was in the market, I'd buy from you. Those really seem to be quality.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECROAR96typeR
right.. im going back to chrome omni lca, bought the car with these blox lca
You might want to do some research with omni lca's. It wasn't until recently that the bushings would tear because of poor design, and omni doesn't want to do anything for the customer. If there are any omni reps on here then please exchange my bushings!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

The Omni bushings did suck. But nobody clocks bushings. Clocking them extends the life to like...6 months lol. Worst bushings ever.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the ASR Gold subframe brace, ASR 24mm sway bar, Blox LCAs, OMNI Slip overs on Koni Oranges.

ASR= Win
Omni=Win
Koni=Win

Blox: FAIL

my aluminum control arms from blox came in looking great. seemed like the machine work was nice. The bushings on the other hand, lasted one summer before cracking. I put the suspension on in the spring (09) by fall (09) they were cracked. And when I re-aligned my car last week, the bushings are falling apart. what complete junk.

But as feel. it feels great. im running a 95 EG sedan and going from no sway bar to the setup i one night was a world of a difference. I have the ASR bar on the stiff setting, with no pre-load in the endlinks. It handles great but you have to be quick witted about aggressive cornering. I have found the rear end trails perfectly almost every time but its a fine edge. A little too much into the corner and I have had the rear end slide out quite a bit (summer 90*). The tires could have been greasy though.

Winter driving is a different story. I had to disconnect the rear sway bar for driving in snow. The rear end comes around very easily, especially when you dont want it to.

Over-all im happy with the combo minus the blox arms. It feels great for a daily and weekend warrior. But i will be swapping the bloxs out this summer before I go to the road race track.