Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ASR 24mm Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASR 24mm Rear Sway Bar

I just picked up this 24mm rear sway bar setup from Charleston at ASR and I must say, every product I purchase from ASR is extremely impressive. Charleston really knows how to engineer these products, and as always his quality is top notch! I can't wait to get this thing on the car tomorrow! These endlinks are Aurora bearings, and check out those D brackets!

I just went out for a drive with it. At first its not entirely obvious over the ITR 22mm, but as you start to push a bit the car feels solid, slightly flatter, and more confident. It feels like its saying "thats all? C'mon turn in more!" It feels like there is just more grip available now. I did not want to push the car on public streets, so this is all the feedback I could gather while maintaining reasonable and safe speeds.

I did one ebrake turn in a large empty open area to get a feel for how it acts when its loose. (I know) It broke loose quickly and just kept sliding. It was like "imma just keep sliding till you do something about this". It seems like I won't enjoy as progressive of a break loose point but should remain very controllable when loose. (I run 400f/500r spring rates.)

I won't know more about this until I have it out on the track again. Overall, the difference from the 22mm is apparent, and I'm very happy with my purchase. (as always with ASR)

Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: ASR 24mm Rear Sway Bar (Eyal 951)

I have to get a brace and a sway bar sometime in the future lol.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice bar
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The next car I pick up, this combo will be bought for it. I like the ITR 22mm, but I think this would be better.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking about this setup, but i assumed that this would be way to aggressive for a daily driven car. I just went with the ctr 22mm bar w/ the ASR brace and i love it. Even though i don't track my car, i feel a noticeable difference w/ the combo on for daily driving. Turns feel a whole lot smoother, sharper and accelerating out of the turn feels much more responsive. Nice write up though, post pics with it installed on your car.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ASR 24mm Rear Sway Bar (gfunkmos37)

Pics on the car. (I needa wash the underbody!)

Old 12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

Looks very impressive!!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (yoffer)

nice camber
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a badass setup.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (i_am_a_black_man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i_am_a_black_man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice camber</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, its not that bad. I think the pic makes it look bad. I had Westend set it to -2.25/-1.75.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: (Eyal 951)

how much was the swaybar?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC2Projektz)

I think it retails for 210.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, you're right, those are some meaty looking brackets. Are you running the Koni yellow/ ground control setup? What setting do you have the sway bar on? Hard or soft?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gfunkmos37)

Looks like a redesigned Progress bar...I have the progress bar, only problem with it I find is that it hits the exhaust when the car is too low, I'm curious if these would have the same issue.

Also, the progress have different degree's of adjustment on the bar, rather than having just the two holes. It doesn't matter much, just pointing out the differences...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fresh'86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fresh’86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like a redesigned Progress bar...I have the progress bar, only problem with it I find is that it hits the exhaust when the car is too low, I'm curious if these would have the same issue.

Also, the progress have different degree's of adjustment on the bar, rather than having just the two holes. It doesn't matter much, just pointing out the differences...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Charelston designed this after the OEM ITR sway bar, so it follows the lines of the OEM sway bar. I have no issues with clearance anyway, and I would never fathom I would when it comes to ASR. I have 2.5" exhaust, fyi.

gfunkmos37,
Yep, koni/ground control. 400f/500r rates. I have an LS 22mm front sway bar (intentionally smaller then GSR/ITR 24mm) As you can see, this car rotates well, and for relatively soft track rates, the grip is absolutely excellent with this little civic.

I have the Sway set on hard. I think its a 12% difference in stiffness between the settings.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyal 951 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Charelston designed this after the OEM ITR sway bar, so it follows the lines of the OEM sway bar. I have no issues with clearance anyway, and I would never fathom I would when it comes to ASR. I have 2.5" exhaust, fyi.

gfunkmos37,
Yep, koni/ground control. 400f/500r rates. I have an LS 22mm front sway bar (intentionally smaller then GSR/ITR 24mm) As you can see, this car rotates well, and for relatively soft track rates, the grip is absolutely excellent with this little civic.

I have the Sway set on hard. I think its a 12% difference in stiffness between the settings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

400f/500r rate. Thats a great suspension setup. Also, are you using any other types of chassis stiffener? i.e. strut bars, x bars, roll cage or x brace. I know most people believe that strut bars are "useless" but i disagree.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gfunkmos37)

absolutely zero chassis stiffening. I'm sure a strut bar will help slightly, i mean honda put one on some cars from the factory, but I have more important areas to work on first. The chassis bars are mostly a waste of money, I've messed with them before. This car is destined to be relieved of its daily driver duty, and continue on its path towards a track *****. A full cage should eventually attend to any chassis issues i may have.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyal 951 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">absolutely zero chassis stiffening. I'm sure a strut bar will help slightly, i mean honda put one on some cars from the factory, but I have more important areas to work on first. The chassis bars are mostly a waste of money, I've messed with them before. This car is destined to be relieved of its daily driver duty, and continue on its path towards a track *****. A full cage should eventually attend to any chassis issues i may have. </TD></TR></TABLE>
good point and good luck
Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyal 951 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Charelston designed this after the OEM ITR sway bar, so it follows the lines of the OEM sway bar. I have no issues with clearance anyway, and I would never fathom I would when it comes to ASR. I have 2.5" exhaust, fyi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I have a stock 2" or 2.25" whatever it is, and I have issues if my tires are at my fenders. I may just call up charelston and order one up. The issue with mine I've noticed is that they mount at the shock bottom, and not the endlink mount.

here is how the progress looks like BTW:
Old 12-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i swear by the asr say bars, i currently have the 22mm ITR w. the asr brace, but man i miss my 24mill
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice
Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Good description. I have been wondering how noticable the 2mm difference is over the ITR bar. If the car isn't really tracked, do you think its worth the extra bucks?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (.PLUMMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .PLUMMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good description. I have been wondering how noticable the 2mm difference is over the ITR bar. If the car isn't really tracked, do you think its worth the extra bucks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your car isn't tracked, the ITR rear sway is as much as you'll want to do. In fact, you really don't need a rear sway bar at all if you're only daily driving the vehicle. A good set of springs and some KYB AGXs or Tokico Illuminas would be more than enough when coupled with good tires.

People on this site spend WAY too much money on cars that never, ever see any kind of performance driving. A rear sway bar doesn't help getting groceries or merging into traffic or gas mileage or anything like that. If you're not tracking your car, it does nothing but add weight and make you think your car can do things that you - as an inexperienced driver - cannot do.

$150 for a day at an HPDE will be more valuable than any three things you can do to your car for any amount of money.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.PLUMMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .PLUMMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good description. I have been wondering how noticable the 2mm difference is over the ITR bar. If the car isn't really tracked, do you think its worth the extra bucks?</TD></TR></TABLE>
In for the same question
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if your car isn't tracked, the ITR rear sway is as much as you'll want to do. In fact, you really don't need a rear sway bar at all if you're only daily driving the vehicle. A good set of springs and some KYB AGXs or Tokico Illuminas would be more than enough when coupled with good tires.

People on this site spend WAY too much money on cars that never, ever see any kind of performance driving. A rear sway bar doesn't help getting groceries or merging into traffic or gas mileage or anything like that. If you're not tracking your car, it does nothing but add weight and make you think your car can do things that you - as an inexperienced driver - cannot do.

$150 for a day at an HPDE will be more valuable than any three things you can do to your car for any amount of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ultimately, he is correct. This bar is probably not going to help the unexperienced driver, however you might be able to get away with slightly softer springs, and running this bar.

I do notice a difference with this bar on the street, but I know my car intimately, since I'm at that awkward stage where the car is soon bound for an all track life, yet still serves daily driving duty. I really just drive around San Luis Obispo, to and from campus and such.

Quick Reply: ASR 24mm Rear Sway Bar