Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ask Moderators Non-Technical Questions or Give Suggestions to Improve this Subforum

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ask Moderators Non-Technical Questions or Give Suggestions to Improve this Subforum

In an attempt to ensure that this subforum serves the needs of its membership, I created this experimental thread where you may:

(1) post non-technical questions about this subforum and have them answered by a moderator

and/or

(2) give ideas about how to improve this subforum.

Let's see how this goes.

Last edited by Former User; 11-28-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Ask Moderators a Question or Give Suggestions to Improve this Subforum

Too much clutter in this forum.
Frequently asked questions should be referred to the Frequently Asked questions sticky and politely locked. Every other sub-forum seems to have no compunction in doing this.

Opinion threads should not be allowed. This should include any and all "what swaps do you think is better" or "help me with ideas on how to do XXXXX to my car" as these have no technical merit whatsoever.

What do I need to perform XXX swap should not be allowed. Swaps have been done to death. No one is asking anything that hasn't been asked many times in the past.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Ask Moderators a Question or Give Suggestions to Improve this Subforum

Here's another one. Posters that cry for "help" yet don't want to follow the advice of anyone posting need threads LOCKED. I've seen threads go for 3-4 pages with no resolution because someone is either incapable of doing proper troubleshooting or just wanted to tell everybody what the problem is NOT.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Too much clutter in this forum.
Frequently asked questions should be referred to the Frequently Asked questions sticky and politely locked. Every other sub-forum seems to have no compunction in doing this.

I'm personally against closing any technical thread when the question has been asked before. It would be great if all members searched before posting a technical question. The fact of the matter is that some do and some don't. I prefer not to punish those who choose not to search, as many members will still try to help them. And if you despise these threads, simply don't post in them. Harassing or flaming these members is not tolerated.

Opinion threads should not be allowed. This should include any and all "what swaps do you think is better" or "help me with ideas on how to do XXXXX to my car" as these have no technical merit whatsoever.

What do I need to perform XXX swap should not be allowed. Swaps have been done to death. No one is asking anything that hasn't been asked many times in the past.

I understand. Moderators do close many such non-technical threads. Some of these threads, however, lead to interesting technical discussions, so each must be judged on a case by case basis.
Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Here's another one. Posters that cry for "help" yet don't want to follow the advice of anyone posting need threads LOCKED. I've seen threads go for 3-4 pages with no resolution because someone is either incapable of doing proper troubleshooting or just wanted to tell everybody what the problem is NOT.

I've too have become frustrated by certain members who don't seem receptive to good technical advice. I prefer "politely" to inform these members of their listening problem and leave it at that, rather than close the thread. If frustrated, just stop posting in said threads.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people not taking everything into consideration and assuming far too much!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"cry for help but never listen" You are 100% correct and it justifies all bitterness. I've read you and Ron try repeatably to help solve the posters problems and dumbo ignores and babbles something about type r mud flaps.

Marc could ease up a little but honestly, if I was trying to hand an AIDS patient the cure and he kept slapping it away yelling shitabout wanting shiny marbles I would probably lose my goddamn mind.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ask Moderators Non-Technical Questions or Give Suggestions to Improve this Subfor

how about locking threads that are more then 2 years old and maybe removing all the extra posts from the DIY threads people always ask questions in threads that are really old or other peoples diy and anybody that starts a thread with i have no job,money and want to swap my car should be sent to some other forum.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ask Moderators Non-Technical Questions or Give Suggestions to Improve this Subfor

I have seen something on other forums where when you start typing the title of your thread it pulls up suggestions of previous threads with similar content. Not sure if that can be implemented here but it could help cut down on repeated threads
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canadaek
how about locking threads that are more then 2 years old and maybe removing all the extra posts from the DIY threads people always ask questions in threads that are really old or other peoples diy and anybody that starts a thread with i have no job,money and want to swap my car should be sent to some other forum.
If you see a post that should be removed or spam, off-topic conversation in a write-up.. Report Threads or Individual posts by clicking the '' '' Icon.