Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Article: DA Seats in EG (seatpan swap with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Article: DA Seats in EG (seatpan swap with pics)

OK. First off I'm a believer in forums and I've taken a lot from them, so now that I have the means the projects that I'm doing I will post pictures and instruction. That's the whole idea, learn and share right? So anyway I bought some Integra seats for $120 to put in my dads civic for fathers day. I did a bunch of searching for how to do this, but I couln’t find anything but a hard time. All I got was a bunch of bull **** like “ya they bolt right in but….”. “Only three of the holes line up, but it’ll be fine”, or “Just drill out a new hole and bend something down”, then I found out if ya do that **** the seat will lean towards the center of the car. What a bunch of losers. Really? c'mon. If you can't do something right, don't do it. Those ****ers don’t deserve to be modifying cars. You think your passenger’s gonna be happy if three bolts don’t hold up in an accident? So here’s some ideas on doing this seat swap, properly.

Required Materials
=====================
DA and EG seats
Hacksaw
6mm allen wrench
10mm Socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
8/32 tap+drill bit
8/32 screws + washers
Loctite (removeable)
Pliers

Optional...
Brake cleaner
Rags
Silicone spray lubricant

Here’s the Original DA seat.

Remove The bolts that are circled.

Now set aside the back part of the seat for the end. Now what you’re going to wanna do is remove all of the rings that hold the upholstry on the seat, I’ve circled them in this picture. Here’s the old seat pan, we don’t need it so do what you will with it.

Now prep the back part of the seat. The bottom separates and you can pull back the upholstry, but not all of the way. There are two bungies that are connected to part of the frame in the back, just unclip them.

Now you can pull back the cover, just enough to get to the two 12mm bolts

Now that the foam and cover from the bottom is seperated and the back of the seat is removed we can pull the piece of **** EG seat out and start takin that son bitch apart. If you can’t figure out how to remove the seat stop driving all motorized vehicles.

Remove the circled bolts

Now remove the clips that are circled and separate the foam from the seat pan.

Here’s the difference between the two seat pans, to get an idea of what we’re dealing with. You can see that the EG seat has a bulge in the bottom. What you need to do is take a hacksaw to the foam of the EG seat and put it in that dip.

It doesn’t need to be perfect, but after putting this together it doesn’t quite fill all of the space. I’m seeing how it all works out right now. The little bit of air space you have between the foam you cut out of the old seat and the flat bottom of the DA seat has the effect of wrapping around you better when you sit in it. So I might be leaving it. The other option is to get more foam in there. It’s up to you, the way we’ll be attaching the upholstry makes it easy to get back in there later. So **** around with it, if you’re gonna go this far try both ways out and see what you like.

Next take the EG seat pan and position it on the upside down DA seat. Grab a pencil and mark out the foam you’re going to have to remove for the pan to sit right on there, here’s a picture. Just go ahead and cut the foam with a razor blade, it works good.

Now pull down the cover with the seat pan and see where you’re going to drill holes, yeah we’re gonna drill and tap holes to attach the cover. You’ll see, it works good.

First take the two triangular corners of the cover and use one of those rings to attach them. You’ll need to make new holes in the cover to pull it tight, and just use a pre-existing hole in the seat pan.

Mark the cover and drill holes, use the plastic end it’ll be more sturdy.

And here’s about what it should look like.

Now do the same with the sides, I put two mounting holes in each side. Don’t pull too tight, I did and had to redu a little bit of it because it pulled the hip huggers in the foam down too much.

Now pull the rear of it tight, hold it there and just drill two holes through the plastic and into the pan, tap and screw.

Just use a ring on each side for those two triangular flaps in the back.

Now that’s the bulk of the project, the rest is easier. The hip huggers on the DA seats aren’t the same on either side, and the seat part doesn’t line up with the back part for some reason… I’m sure they had one but I don’t know what it is.

Now take those ****ed up rails from the EG and clean the **** out of them with brake cleaner and rags. It’s worth it, you got new seats and it’ll never get done after this.

Then take this silicone spray lube and spray the **** out of where the rails move. Work it back and for, use the straw and get in there the best you can.

OK, the rails are preped, take the seat and a razor blade and cut out holes where you’ll be mounting the seat rails. Cut the holes as small as you can, doesn’t need to be perfect, it’ll be covered up but don’t do a totally half assed job.

Now take the rail from the EG with the hinge and mount it onto the back of the seat, there’s a hidden bolt just don’t rip you’re foam to get to it. Don’t forget to use loctite! Please just use loctite you don’t want your **** fallin apart.

Now reattach the bungies to the frame of the seat.

Then reattach the slip on the bottom of the back of the seat

Attach the rail that has the seat belt on it, use loctite.

Now put the hole of the side of the back without the hinge on it into the side of the seat that has the seat belt, you’ll know what im talkin about when you do it. You’ll need the plastic grommets in place correctly before you tighten the bolt. Then attach the rail to the seat, and screw on the vinyl. I’m gonna be looking into mounting the vinyl from the DA seat, if I do it I’ll post pictures and ****.

Now you have to attach the wire that connect the release for the two rails. You can use two of you’re 8-32 washers to make it happen.

Here you are, you’re new seats!! Cool huh? I thought so.

They sit about the same as the EG seats. A little bit higher, but believe it or not it’s actually a lot better and im 6’ tall.

Last edited by andera; 06-05-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Article: DA Seats in EG (seatpan swap with pics)

finished, enjoy. post pictures here if any of you do this project.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job. It looks great.

A lot of work though. I'm kind of lazy, I read that if you swap the inner rails the seats bolt right in. Is this true? I'm picking up my seats from a 1998 integra ls tomorrow for a 1998 civic hx.

HL
Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Canuckian

Originally Posted by arcuate
Good job. It looks great.

A lot of work though. I'm kind of lazy, I read that if you swap the inner rails the seats bolt right in. Is this true? I'm picking up my seats from a 1998 integra ls tomorrow for a 1998 civic hx.

HL
Yeah, I did just that when I swapped out the seats in my hb to integra seats. Sits a bit lower but thats perfect for me, I'm 6'4.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh?? So all this work was not needed?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess this is just an issue with DA seats? I swapped dc seats into my 95 coupe and they bolted up fine. All 4 bolts lined up perfect. Seats look good though.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hoffmanb16
huh?? So all this work was not needed?

no, if you swap the inner rail the seat sits lower on one side... i guess thats cool if ur into that kinda thing. DA seats don't swap in to an eg, only 3 of the bolts line up, dont do that. if you want DA seats in an EG and want it done right hyou have to do all this, takes about an hour per seat. its worth it.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tr4c3
I guess this is just an issue with DA seats? I swapped dc seats into my 95 coupe and they bolted up fine. All 4 bolts lined up perfect. Seats look good though.

yeah the DA seats are a little weird. when i get some teg seats for my car i think i might get DC. to tell you the truth though i might get DA seats despite the troube. they feel a lot better than al l the DC seats ive sat in lately. maybe someone can refresh my memory though
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the da seats, but I got a deal on the dc's so I took them. I love the adjustable lumbar support and adjustable cushion.