Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Apparent Head Gasket Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apparent Head Gasket Leak

I have a 98 Civic EX with an "apparent" head gasket leak. It over heated and had steam coming out the tailpipe when it was cooled r, rev the engine back down. Especially when the engine is revved. A Honda mechanic told me the definitive test for a blown head gasket was to top up the radiator and rev the engine. If radiator fluid overflows, it's a blown head gasket.
It does.

So I repaired it - or tried to. New Honda head gasket. I got a reman'ed head just in case mine was warped. Replaced various other gaskets. I started it up and it runs fine, until I rev it. It's doing the same d##n thing!

Is it likely that the engine block is warped? (That could be the death of this car.) Can you think of ANYTHING else that might cause this behavior?

Thanks for your insights!!
Dan
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Apparent Head Gasket Leak

Rent a block tester and find out for sure
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the heads up on the block tester. I am trying to arrange for a loaner. In the mean time, the steam out the tailpipe has just about disappeared after driving it around town for a couple hours. Someone suggested that perhaps the exhaust system and cat convertor was just full of water and crud and it takes a while to blow it all out. However, I still have bubbles in the radiator when the cap is off. Perhaps it is just boiling because there is no pressure with cap off?? Fingers crossed!

Anyway, I'll let you know what the block tester finds.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having your open radiator overflow when the engine is revved is not a "definitive" test of a blown headgasket. Most topped up radiators will overflow when you rev the engine with the cap off (assuming operating temp), especially if your radiator is slightly clogged. I'd consult another mechanic or two.
The block tester is a better test.
Whether a warped block (possible if it overheated or has high mileage) is the death of the car would depend on the condition of the rest of the car, whether there is a better car available for less than the cost of a quality rebuild or whether you are willing to take on a car payment + insurance. Also warpage is not the only concern. Smoothness (lack of defects or erosion) and surface finish (roughness) is also a concern. Many engine manufacturers (Honda included) have specifications for the surface finish of your head and block mating surfaces to ensure proper sealing of the headgasket. This suface finish is measurable with a special tool at the machine shop.
If it is determined there is a leaking headgasket then depending on the mileage/condition of the car I would have the engine rebuilt and they will deck/surface the block and make sure all your castings and cores are square and sound at the machine shop during this process. You should get another 200k out of a quality rebuild.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ agreed
Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^agreed the block surface
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

it could also be left over coolant in the exhaust esp if you have a cat / muffler.

When my head gasket popped I still smoked for about 10 miles. you gotta burn all that's left in the exhaust
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Trial User

You're absolutely right about running the engine for awhile. I had a steamy, drippy tailpipe for several miles. Then it cleared up and is clean as can be. Nice!!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Danwelch
You're absolutely right about running the engine for awhile. I had a steamy, drippy tailpipe for several miles. Then it cleared up and is clean as can be. Nice!!
Glad it worked out well for you!