Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC

I have a 2000 Civic EX manual. Just wondering is there a point to go turbo on this car? I do regret not getting an Si, but couldn't afford one at the time. I was thinking of trading down to a older Si to keep my payment the same or lower them. What is your opinion on the subject?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (gimmezell)

check for yourself dude!
http://www.f-max.com/D16A%20VTEC%20DYNO.htm
Old 09-25-2001, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (MiraiZ)

interesting stuff, but what's the cost of this system?
Old 09-25-2001, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Turbo EX, you ask is it worth it? Well IMO, for every GS-R and Si whose *** I've handed.. absolutley I don't expect to go out there and picking off Vett's and Viper's, but I sure do like making unsuspecting ITR's sweat
Old 09-25-2001, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (MiraiZ)

You can read below if you want but to not get all stupid here: I don't like that system and it is probably around 3 g's. But, Turbo's rock on anything. Just be ready to spend money.

Personally I don't like this system. It doesn't seem safe. For one thing you would REALLY REALLY REALLY want to rebuild and strengthen the bottom end running 13-15 PSI. If you are complaining about your payments that you are making now, you don't have the money for a serious upgrade like the turbo, any F/I upgrade is going to cause problems in a lot of areas unless you purchase a good quality system 3,000.00 plus. Take that money and make a big payment on your car. Then, once you have the car paid off go with the big toys. Cause then all of that money you send off to Honda you can put into the car.....SORRY GOT CARRIED AWAY!!

Old 09-25-2001, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL

sohc's run a lot stronger if they are in stripped hatches (simulate a bigger motor by utilizing power to weight ratio) and if you turbo that set up, it should run ok. it would be best to build a sohc to take high boost. i would sell or trade your car now and with the money...get a 5g hatch and a ls motor and turbo that. you'll save lots of money too if you do it yourself. it would be a lot cheaper to get a 5g si hatch and turbo the single cam (maybe build the bottom) but unless you boost the **** out of a sohc, then it won't be all that. if you want to rip some @$$holes...1.8 turbo hybrid hatch. trust me...i built mine for about $10k maybe a little more and you won't be cringing at stoplights or worry about getting picked on by whoever.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (ho focker)

yeah thats what i was going to say. Si's are nice but don't think that they are fast. they are fairly quick for stock cars, but not as much as they are hyped up to be. a cheaper and in my opinion better choice is a 4g civic, 2g crx or 5g civic hatch and then do a motor swap. the crx would be my first choice but thats only b/c i owned one before. you could pay that off and then do a turbo setup on it. just to give you an idea, you could buy a 5g hatch with no motor for a grand or less and put 3-4k into a swap. and you have something quicker than an Si but for less.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:40 AM
New User

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (rookie2nr)

i [ut the greddy kit made for 5th gens on my 6th gen and it isnt all that cool. it's night and day from i/h/e but i still get slammed by good drivers in 6th gen si's. everyones right go w/ a 5th gen hatch/swap. then turbo. i realy like rex's too thats what i want now and am thinking about seling the kit.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (clean)

I've had the same feelings in the past that you're having now. Through a bit of research I decided to go with the Drag Turbo kit, just because I like to tinker with things and I think that is something I will be constantly doing with the turbo. I'm not saying that you will not be able to do that with the B16, but it seems like you can test and manipulate you're power if you have the right equip. Just my .02
Old 09-25-2001, 10:18 AM
New User

With all of this arguement going on here, it should tell you to just not do it. When was the last time someone said, Don't turbo a DOHC, it is a waste of time. I havn't heard it yet. Buy a DOHC and then go from there.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:24 AM
k.
New User

go for it..turbo that sohc!!

12s are possible with it, but dont push it or else u'll be forkin out 400 bucks every now and then for another sohc engine.

~k.

[Modified by k., 11:24 AM 9/25/2001]
Old 09-25-2001, 10:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (k.)

do it

I have seen many 13 sec SOHC turbos

I have even seen 1 turbo SOHC civic runnin 12's with STOCK INTERNALS!!!
Old 09-25-2001, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (00 Si)

With all of this arguement going on here, it should tell you to just not do it. When was the last time someone said, Don't turbo a DOHC, it is a waste of time. I havn't heard it yet. Buy a DOHC and then go from there.
Don't forget dude, he has a 2000 EX and doesn't like the payments!!!
Old 09-25-2001, 10:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (smp534)

I have even seen 1 turbo SOHC civic runnin 12's with STOCK INTERNALS!!!
What? Do they have a direct hotline to God for their constant prayers that the thing holds together and doesn't EXPLODE????

Old 09-25-2001, 10:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (spyder)

its called EXPERIENCE!!!!!
Old 09-25-2001, 10:48 AM
New User

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (smp534)

its called EXPERIENCE!!!!!
No ****!!! I was joking man...I'm not THAT stupid!

Old 09-25-2001, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (spyder)

In SD, CA there is a DX HB with a custom turbo getting 160hp to the wheels. Not bad considering stock block. Plus anything is better then the Less than 100hp to the wheels that it has currently. An EX is probably about the same, considering weight. I think who cares, as long as you can make it up hills. If you can do that, all DX's in your neighborhood will be really jealous.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (ek_mr5)

But my Hybrid coupe already gets 160 at the wheels Normally Aspirated...and it is reliable...turbos seem to have problems the longer you have them in your car..so a turbo'ed DX motor really isn't that impressive IMO....
Old 09-25-2001, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

I completely understand that a hybrid kicks ***, but 160hp for a dx, using the crap d16 motor that it comes with is impressive. Understand that not everyone is a hybrid guru, nor can they trust people in their town/village/community to install a b16/18. Some of these shops are shady. I guess my point is that 160 wheel hp, is a good thing, and shouldn't be laughed at or talked sh*t about. We are all in it for the same thing... enjoyment. I say turbo that bad boy! Blow it up, then lets consider a swap.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (ek_mr5)

Well, I guess this topic has evolved into : what do you plan on doing with the car? Do you plan on keeping it for a few years and then selling it or due you plan on making it project pocket rocket and have it for a long time? If you choose the later, obviously you will want to choose the B16 since it can be upgraded with a turbo later on and it is without a doubt the better turbo'd engine. But, then again, it will probably take time to come up with the funds to get both. Therefore, what are your future goals for this car?
Old 09-25-2001, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I spoke to someone before who had a built d16y8 (new pistons, rods, and sleeves) running about 15psi on a Greddy TD-04H kit w/ FMIC putting down about 250whp...that's not bad to me w/ a small, fast spooling turbo and a lil d16. From a money perspective, it's pricey. The turbo kit, new bottom end, and all the other necessities (hondata 2b, j&s, injectors, clutch, etc.) added up to over $9k...but you could spend that much going NA on a b16 (or even b18c) and not make nearly as much whp and tq.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Start with a lighter car if you want to go fast with SOHC turbo, IMO. If you do everything correctly and know how to tune a car, you can run 11s or 10s. Just a matter of money.
http://www.tmengineering.net/custome...c_b/turbo.html
Old 09-25-2001, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (bhcvc)

Damn that Fmax kit has some pretty impresive number!!!!! look at that torque, who cares about detenation, imagine driveing a sohc car with this kit, it will snap your neck and make you **** yourself when you hit 2nd gear!

No but really, it a reliable kit, i know a guy who has pulleys,exhuast,cam gear,jacobs ignition,and a act clutch, hes only running 13lbs and hes pulling 267hp
and hes had it on for 8 months.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (Civ-JDM)

I ran 14's off of my DRAG Gen II kit, w/ 96 ex coupe. it was a lot of fun, 200whp is pretty nice
Old 09-25-2001, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC (DragIIcivic)

Holly crap, I didn't expect to get this many replies. None-the-less it's cool to see so many opinions. I'm not complaining about the payments. The family and I are planning on getting a house soon. So, Ive decided to keep what I got and be happy with my EX. Once the the thing is paid off I can go nuts on the thing. I'm thinking a turbo though. Then, after that maybe a swap. The later is more expensive. Right now the only mod i have is a AEM CAI. Next, i'm thinking a cat-back system. Anyway, thanks for all your help guys.

Later,

Gimmezell

Quick Reply: Anypoint to Turbo a SOHC