Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone regret lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone regret lowering?

I know I do, I miss the comfort of the stock setup sooooo much. Been dropped around 2 years and right now I'd give anything to get it back, sometimes I even think about going back to stock. Also I'm embarassed when driving with my girl cause it's such a harsh ride. She says she doesn't mind, but I figure she probably does. I know I hate it. Just wondering if I'm the only one.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (CXHatchback)

there are parts i dislike about having a lowered car but i don't regret it.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:25 PM

I am about to...I would think if you did it right and put some money into it instead of cutting corners or cutting springs . Whats your set-up...?
Old 01-02-2003, 07:28 PM

Sometimes i do, but everytime i drive a stock height car, I still am relieved to sit in my lowered ride.....

I just hate having people honk at me when I'm crawling over a speed bump....

I also dont like how people label lowered cars....like all of us are thugs causing trouble...

But I would never put my car back to stock height....maybe an inch higher but thats it...
Old 01-02-2003, 07:30 PM
LHC

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (nfiedler3)

I am about to...I would think if you did it right and put some money into it instead of cutting corners or cutting springs . Whats your set-up...?
Dam right! dont be a stunna and get youself a good suspension setup and then you'll get people that are thrilled when they're in you're car...
Old 01-02-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (spoonedcivicG4)

yea dude, what setup you running? cause i've had a car in boston lowered like 3", on ground control and itr spring rates, wit koni yellows, and it was STOCK but it was fairly close, its a really stiff bounce, not really bouncin around, just i regret doin it for my lip....
Old 01-02-2003, 07:34 PM

I think people mostly regret it if it's not done right. I personally would rather sacrifice the smoothness of a stock ride for the improved handling of a stiffer suspension. It's the difference between having a car as a commuter vehicle and having a car that you can drive.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:33 PM
LHC

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (kwik2nec)

yea dude, what setup you running? cause i've had a car in boston lowered like 3", on ground control and itr spring rates, wit koni yellows, and it was STOCK but it was fairly close, its a really stiff bounce, not really bouncin around, just i regret doin it for my lip....
so you mean to say that this setup made your ride feel just like stock? you must mean confort wise cose reading from that setup you would notice quite a difference in handling and body roll...correct me if im wrong
Old 01-02-2003, 10:14 PM

I know I do, I miss the comfort of the stock setup sooooo much. Been dropped around 2 years and right now I'd give anything to get it back, sometimes I even think about going back to stock. Also I'm embarassed when driving with my girl cause it's such a harsh ride. She says she doesn't mind, but I figure she probably does. I know I hate it. Just wondering if I'm the only one.
you know i kinda flamed you when you first posted a while back about your ha's(?) being too stiff of a ride. but i can feel your situation. i took a girl out tonight in my civic w/ ra's and it was raining so i was driving pretty slow... and we were just getting our asses kicked by my car. it was shitty out tonight so its not even like i could make up for it by taking some nice S turns either. so to make a long story short i was feeling pretty stupid because of it tonight, but the handling(especially when im by myself, when i only answer to myself) is unbeatable. i think im going to get an old 4 door type p.o.s. with a plush ride to drive around town to do stupid errands or whatever, but i cant bring myself to ******* w/ my car now... the high speed stabilty is too perfect. you wont have any trouble unloading those coilovers though... good luck in reaching a decision
Old 01-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (euclid)

thats a big negative
i love a lowered car. The lower center of gravity and not bouncing everywhere.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always thought a lowered car with shocks would make the ride better than stock.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (ransack)

How much have all of you lowered your cars?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (steve_s)

mines lowered over 3 inches on cheap coilovers and stock struts, its ******* unbearable, but i love the handling... so im not changing it before i sell it, but on my next car i am deffinately going to invest in a full coilover set-up to have a better ride and much better handling
Old 01-02-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (dmotoguy)

about 2" all around on oem shocks is absolutely beautiful if your looking for a nice smooth yet sporty ride.. however shocks will wear out quickly.. and look at spring rates especially when staying with stock shocks.. but GC's with kyb agx's merc's that setup handling wise... no competition but it is pretty rough... whatever you do just dont go with ebay coilovers or springs.. you get what u pay for.. sick (good) price= sick (thorwing up) ride.. good luck
Old 01-03-2003, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering?

If you want a stock ride why dont you just keep your stock suspension to keep that factory ride quality...

I think its give and take.....a little rougher ride equals a little better handling and vice versa

I dont think that a good coilover setup will give you better ride....

I remember reading a post where someone thought that if they bought Teins then their car will ride like a dream......WRONG.....It was too Stiff....

Your paying for performance and a stiff ride is what performance equals....

Also, my brother was telling me that he knew this guy who bought a brand new M3 only to return it because the ride was too stiff.....

Old 01-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (degooser)

I dont think that a good coilover setup will give you better ride....
i was just saying better than crappy coilovers with stock struts taht are blown out, not better than stock
Old 01-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering?

well technically i am stock (CTR shocks and springs on my 00 ex coupe) but the ride is a bit harsh compared to before. stiff and solid and i dont know about you but i like going over mildly bumpy road . oh yeah and it's about 1-1.5 inches lower than before.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (tFUnK)

lowering=more bottuming out.. it sux if u lower ur daily driver!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (rsxgirlie)

I have Eibach Sportline springs on KYB n/a's, and it does ride a bit harsher than stock but IMO by no means unbearable.I think I have a pretty good compromise between handling and ride quality. Of course it's only a 1.6" drop so I don't know how some of ya'll can bear a 3"+ drop on a daily driver...

But to anwser the original question, no I don't regret lowering my car.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (uncivilCivicinprogress)

Sorry for the late reply peeps...

I've got Tein HAs right now and it's only lowerd about 1.75" or so, that's really a ball park guess. Sure, they handle like a dream and I feel like an autox (which I do plan on attending one eventually) would be a great way to test it's new abilities, but I've got a 35mile one-way commute everyday to my girlfriend's house/work. The ride is sooo loud I can't hear ****, and I feel every bump in the road. I was hoping this setup would be better than my previous setup (GCs and stock shocks), but it's not by far. Some of the bounciness went away, but it's still very rough.

I just checked the rates on my ground controls and they're 250F, 325R. Would that have been pretty comfortable w/some aftermarket shocks?

Also, does anyone know the spring rates for Tein HAs for an EK? I can't find them anywhere

I think I'm going to sell my Teins and get some Konis or Bec-Techs for use with my Ground controls
Old 01-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance, looks, or comfort.

Pick ONE.

No aftermarket suspension is going to be as comfortable as stock, anytime you lower a car and give it stiffer shocks and springs, you're getting less shock travel and a rougher ride. Deal with it.

Same goes for lowering; if you're gonna slam your car, it's gonna ride like **** and handle like **** unless you're running shortened shocks and 500+lb springs. That whole no wheel gap thing isn't about performace, ever look at a Viper or most Ferraris and Corvettes?

If you like you car slammed, that's cool, I know I do from time to time, but don't say you're 3-4" lower and it's because you're avoiding body roll... maybe you're avoiding suspension travel and it CAN'T roll?

[Modified by SkyeC, 7:11 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (degooser)

Sometimes i do, but everytime i drive a stock height car, I still am relieved to sit in my lowered ride.....

I just hate having people honk at me when I'm crawling over a speed bump....

I also dont like how people label lowered cars....like all of us are thugs causing trouble...

But I would never put my car back to stock height....maybe an inch higher but thats it...
Same here!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (Panda EK)

In the winter when I raise my car up for the snow, it feels like Im drivin an off-road Civic!! I love drving it lowered, you get a better responseivness and you feel like you have more control over the car.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (civicvteckid)

Yeah that's basically what I'm forced with, making that decision. I've got performance, but the ride quality is crap, and it's not as low as I like it. Bec-Tech struts are supposed to ride like stock, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. I think I'd give up the handling for comfort at this point.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Anyone regret lowering? (steve_s)

How much have all of you lowered your cars?
this one time, i slammed my car. actually, my friend slammed it when i was away up north for 3 weeks. he was bored and was playing with it. when i got it back, i couldn't raise it w/ the emergency jack!! it wouldn't fit under the sides!! handled great, but i would scrape on dips. heh. speed bumps were out of the question, so i raised it next week. i have about a 1 1/2 to 2 finger gap in my wheel well.