Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone know why this would happen? (ECU prob. w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know why this would happen? (ECU prob. w/pics)

This is my P05 ECU that came with my car when I bought it. It was in the hatch where the spare tire is. I tried hooking it up but found that it didnt work (I have a P09 ECU currently). So today I was cleaning my garage and found this and decided to take it apart. I found what I expected. Here is what I found

In the middle is a huge solder spot and it appears to be burned, on the other side is this:

Now I dont know a lot about electronics but i would say that that is a capacitor.
Now my question for you. What would cause this? Could I simply place a new capacitor in there and the ECU be fine? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone know why this would happen? (EF9_SiR)

its a common occurance for those caps to blow up. usually you can simply replace it with another. longest the board hasn't been burned through with the pads.

its strange that the ecu doesn't work as most will work just fine that cap blown
Old 06-18-2003, 03:17 PM
ERA

Default Re: Anyone know why this would happen? (eg6ajk)

It's not going to work fine with that cap blown.. look how many foil leads were affected by the short. And just replacing it with another component is more difficult than it may sound especially if you do not have micro-miniature repair experience. Those acrylic board need to be repaired, re-glazed with new pads and properly soldered. Not to mention replacing the foil leads that got fried. Whenever an ECU lets go of its "factory installed smoke", find someone knowledgable on repair and go to them, otherwise, replacing a component on your own might result in even more damage.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:03 PM

Looking at the back side of the board... it looks like many lines might have got shorted together. Even if you were to replace the cap, you would have to un short those line. Providing those shorted line didn't mess anything else up. Best solution. Get a new ECU!!!