Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone know how to replace the fuel gauge in an EG

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to replace the fuel gauge in an EG

I recently replaced my stock DX cluster with a 5spd EX cluster to find that the fuel gauge was stuck on full. I switched them back to make sure that I didn't have a wiring issue and my old one was functioning properly. So now I need to replace the fuel gauge but have no idea where to start. I'm assuming some soldering would need to be done? If someone could shed some light for me, i'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Anyone know how to replace the fuel gauge in an EG

No, it's much easier than that, but you have to exercise caution when swapping gauges or you'll end up with two broken fuel gauges. First, pull the little odometer reset button off...it just pulls right off, but may take a little effort. The plastic bezel is held on by a couple of tabs on the bottom and top of the cluster. Press down on two of the tabs adjacent to each other on the bottom of the cluster. Start to separate it. The 3rd tab will still be latched, so once you get it started, you can push down on the last tab and pop the bezel apart.

Flip it over and you'll be able to get to the backs of the gauges. Take a small Phillips screwdriver and remove the 3 screws holding in the fuel gauge from your donor cluster. Carefully lift it out.

Repeat the above steps to remove the fuel gauge from your cluster. Carefully put the donor gauge face down in your old cluster and gently tighten the screws. This is important...DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the screws. This is likely the reason your fuel gauge is broken. The screws complete the circuit on the back of the gauge and overtightening them will break the contact they make with the circuit board. Get the gauge on there snug, but not too tight. Pop the bezel back on and plug your cluster in and you're good to go.

fm
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
No, it's much easier than that, but you have to exercise caution when swapping gauges or you'll end up with two broken fuel gauges. First, pull the little odometer reset button off...it just pulls right off, but may take a little effort. The plastic bezel is held on by a couple of tabs on the bottom and top of the cluster. Press down on two of the tabs adjacent to each other on the bottom of the cluster. Start to separate it. The 3rd tab will still be latched, so once you get it started, you can push down on the last tab and pop the bezel apart.

Flip it over and you'll be able to get to the backs of the gauges. Take a small Phillips screwdriver and remove the 3 screws holding in the fuel gauge from your donor cluster. Carefully lift it out.

Repeat the above steps to remove the fuel gauge from your cluster. Carefully put the donor gauge face down in your old cluster and gently tighten the screws. This is important...DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the screws. This is likely the reason your fuel gauge is broken. The screws complete the circuit on the back of the gauge and overtightening them will break the contact they make with the circuit board. Get the gauge on there snug, but not too tight. Pop the bezel back on and plug your cluster in and you're good to go.

fm

Had no idea it'd be that simple. Thanks a lot...
Old 06-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes gauges are easy as ***** to switch around.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I would like to reinforce this point, to make it crystal clear:

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
This is important...DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the screws.
OP, you should also swap your speedo over to keep your mileage consistent.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
I would like to reinforce this point, to make it crystal clear:

OP, you should also swap your speedo over to keep your mileage consistent.
Speedo stays, i'm only replacing te fuel gauge. Thanks for the help, fellas