Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone on here able to check the block code for a stolen motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on here able to check the block code for a stolen motor?

I purchased a GSR motor and I wanted to know if the block was stolen before I tried to either build it, or sell it. If you have ties to the DMV/CHP, let me know what's good, I'd appreciate not having my car CRUSHED! :\
Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Why not just call them and give them the #? Say its a potential buy.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

I heard you actually have to PHYSICALLY take it down to the CHP and they'll check it, if it's good, it's yours, if it's bad, they keep it.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Extradition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard you actually have to PHYSICALLY take it down to the CHP and they'll check it, if it's good, it's yours, if it's bad, they keep it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would much rather take it down to CHP and have them take the motor then to find out later and they take/crush your car.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't there a VIN # stickered somewhere on the block. I can't remember.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Neebs)

No, it's a USDM GSR motor 1995. They started placing vin tags on the motors in 1996.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: (Neebs)

96 and up have vin#'s on the block and tranny. The numbers on the bottom underneath the engine code I believe is nothing.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (HAPRECYCLING145)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HAPRECYCLING145 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96 and up have vin#'s on the block and tranny. The numbers on the bottom underneath the engine code I believe is nothing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this true? I'm pretty sure you can run the block ID# and trace it to the vehicle it was once in. Anymore EXPERT advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Extradition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is this true? I'm pretty sure you can run the block ID# and trace it to the vehicle it was once in. Anymore EXPERT advice will be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>Wrong bro, they will be able to get the engines history through these numbers!!

Well sux because u already purchased the motor, i would of done this before purchase. If its legit then kool, if not then its a loss of money. Im guessing u dont have receipts for it either right??
Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (EG6-baybee)

if the numbers below the engine code was related to the vin, dont you think that those numbers would be in your vin# sequence?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM

When i got my emissions ticket, they checked the vin plate thats on the lower part of the motor and they checked the digidts under the engine code to see if they matched and werent swapped.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM

huh thats crazy, i could be wrong, but i always thought that those numbers had no use for law enforcement?
I do have 1 customer that had his car impounded actually last week. Due to the fact that there were no vin#'s on his motor. He had a 93 hatch w/ a 95 gsr swap and it was cali Bar'd. i was like whoa! I drive around w/ the reciepts to my motor now. Just in case.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM

Is there a website or a place where i can check if the motor is stolen before i buy it.?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Anyone on here able to check the block code for a stolen motor? (Extradition)

im curious what about jdm motors?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (OptimumEG6)

sherrifs dept. would do it.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: (OptimumEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OptimumEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a website or a place where i can check if the motor is stolen before i buy it.?</TD></TR></TABLE> sherrifs dept. would do it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsir96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im curious what about jdm motors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From the info that ive inquired u can have ur jdm motor catalogged or something like that. Not sure how u do this but ive heard this from quite a few people.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HAPRECYCLING145 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">huh thats crazy, i could be wrong, but i always thought that those numbers had no use for law enforcement?
I do have 1 customer that had his car impounded actually last week. Due to the fact that there were no vin#'s on his motor. He had a 93 hatch w/ a 95 gsr swap and it was cali Bar'd. i was like whoa! I drive around w/ the reciepts to my motor now. Just in case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i didnt know this either. Then i got my hondatuning mag. and on the exhaust notes someone asked, and they answered the same!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

ya the numbers are useless, but im trying to set up a system to where we have a catalog to these numbers and when someone reports their car stolen they just give the numbers and we mark the motor as NOT legit.

still a work in progress and nobody seems to want to give the number away
Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (civic.slow)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2167353
Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Anyone on here able to check the block code for a stolen motor? (Extradition)

WTF? Why do people say the numbers are USELESS? ******* N00BS, I've got two different answers now, but I want to know the TRUTH! I always though your number could be identified by the block code, but I've heard two different things now. Let me know what's GOOD guys!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my knowledge on this subject I bought my car a while back in san deigo and i brought the vin to them so i could get a vehicle history they told me the car was salvaged and lost all factory recalls because of this they the guy gave me a printout which had my engine serial and tranny serial #`s on it which i checked and they matched. So if you can identify the motor by the vin then why can`t you do it the other way around?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Anyone on here able to check the block code for a stolen motor? (EH3forlife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH3forlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is my knowledge on this subject I bought my car a while back in san deigo and i brought the vin to them so i could get a vehicle history they told me the car was salvaged and lost all factory recalls because of this they the guy gave me a printout which had my engine serial and tranny serial #`s on it which i checked and they matched. So if you can identify the motor by the vin then why can`t you do it the other way around?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he probably wrote it down when he checked for you
Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

damn, it sucks you guys have to deal with this ****.

In Canada they don't check VINs on the engine or receipts. It would really **** me off if my car was impounded or crushed because some ******* I bought my motor from never told me he stole the ****** thing...

To the OP, good luck and hopefully it's legit
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM

what im trying to figure out is for other peeps out there who have obd1 swaps how do they prove there motor is legit w/ out a vin# on the block.
Luckily all of our sales tranactions are recorded and I was able to re-print the reciept for him. he was gonna show proof that he purchased the motor from us. I told him to get back to me and let me know what happens.
Iam 99% sure that those Numbers have something to do with manufacturing, Maybe Honda Mfg. could run those numbers and get some kind of info, but the DMV and law enforcement have no need for those numbers.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:09 PM

in chicago they check this **** either though they should, man you should have waited before buying motor im in the process of seeing if anyone around here owned the motor a guy is trying to sell who i think might have stolen it
Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Illegal advice removed.

Quick Reply: Anyone on here able to check the block code for a stolen motor?