Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

anyone have problems with BKNW hoods? hood to short?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have problems with BKNW hoods? hood to short?

Hey guys,

Recently installed a used BKNW cf hood... it seems like the hood is too short! by that I mean it doesnt come down all the way over the headlights and grille like it should... a bit weird.

I was thinking, i might have to move the hood forward on the hinge holes, but i'd only be using 1 hole on each side...

anyone have any experience with this type of problem or have any tricks to bring the hood forward on the car a bit more?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have problems with BKNW hoods? hood to short? (s1ngle)

-what model is the hood for?
- Is it an EG?
- Did you just receive it?
-Is this the oem or vented?
-Also is it the Premium or just the regular one?

I ordered a hood about 2 months ago and Andy is still waiting on the shipment for the hoods he said.... I hope mine ends up fitting perfect. Post some pics of yours showing the problem spots.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have problems with BKNW hoods? hood to short? (cnyej1)

this is a 96, i just did a 99-00 conversion. its the OEM style, I think its a few years old, so for all i know hes changed his production process. pics up in a few.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pictArs
Old 06-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here you can see the gap between the hood and the bumper and the gap between the hood and the headlight. the whole hood jsut needs to come forward.

Modified by s1ngle at 5:38 AM 6/13/2005
Old 06-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats definately a bad fit.... when you installed your front bumper and headlights did you push everything back far enough? Also when doing the 99-00 swap to a 96-98 do you need a different rad support?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone have problems with BKNW hoods? hood to short? (cnyej1)

its definitely not a matter of "pushing it back" the headlight can't really go back much further, maybe 1/8 inch but only on the corner. the fender is line up flush with teh light, and if you tried to push the bumper back more it wouldnt line up with the fender. and the fender can't go back any more either. pretty much everything is interconnected, you move one thing and you have to move everything else. the only exception is the hood, i can move that at this point and not have to worry about anything else

its definitely the hood, its the exact same way on both sides.

like i said, its definitely the fit of the hood. just looking for tips on adjusting that.

you also dont need the rad support, most people who do this leave the stock one and everything fits fine... its definitely the hood
Old 06-13-2005, 02:38 AM

some cf hoods are like that.. some dont fit perfectly and even the expensive ones sometimes dont fit perfect. thats just how it is man
Old 06-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how does the hood line up at the top end by the windshield? is it 1/2" too high(too close to the windshield)? or is it flush with the fenders

depending on the brackets you could oval the hole 1/4" or so to slide the hood down. use your best judgement or even make additional bracket supports to help secure it if you don't feel safe after ovalling.
just use your best judgement on that
Old 06-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lkailburn)

well i'm not too worried about how the top lines up so much, but yeah its actually a bit high up there too.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s1ngle)

just take the bolts out that attach the hood to the car and elongate them a little bit and then slide the hood forward, you might need to get nuts and bolts to attach it then though
Old 06-13-2005, 07:09 AM
b20vtechatch

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

thats aftermarket for you
Old 06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just take the bolts out that attach the hood to the car and elongate them a little bit and then slide the hood forward, you might need to get nuts and bolts to attach it then though</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (b20vtechatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20vtechatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats aftermarket for you</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that's half-assing the 99+ conversion like so many members do. The core support is different and, while you can get away with rigging it up with the 96ish metal parts, it's not going to sit very well and little details like - oh, I don't know - hoods aren't going to fit perfectly.

Never in my life have I seen a hood that fit so improperly on a car - converted or otherwise - when that car was properly built.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Never in my life have I seen a hood that fit so improperly on a car - converted or otherwise - when that car was properly built.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have. Stock 99-00 front end on a 00 SI with an aftermarket CF hood (I won't say what manufacturer) and it fit just about exactly like that.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The core support is different and, while you can get away with rigging it up with the 96ish metal parts, it's not going to sit very well and little details like - oh, I don't know - hoods aren't going to fit perfectly.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, in your infinite wisdom, what is the difference between the core supports? thats right, 2 holes are in different locations, of which i already redrilled and those are fine. tahts the only difference bro. a new rad support isnt going to bring the whole front end 3/8 of an inch closer. lmao.... then the 99-00 fender I have wouldnt fit. so definitely not the problem.

oh boy, i love people who bash just to bash because i'm not a jdm perfection freak. i think most of these types are people are the type that will NEVER build a car from bottom up, because things wouldnt fit perfect and line up nicely for them, theyd have to do CUSTOM FIT WORK. dont soil your diapers if you ever try it guys....
Old 06-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: just when you thought you were different, WA, NWforLIFE

u know what you can do, you can take the rubber molding from your stock hood and install it onto your CF hood..itll fix the gap a little bit..hopefully back to stock spec and you wont get water in the bay
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s1ngle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, in your infinite wisdom, what is the difference between the core supports? thats right, 2 holes are in different locations, of which i already redrilled and those are fine. tahts the only difference bro. a new rad support isnt going to bring the whole front end 3/8 of an inch closer. lmao.... then the 99-00 fender I have wouldnt fit. so definitely not the problem.

oh boy, i love people who bash just to bash because i'm not a jdm perfection freak. i think most of these types are people are the type that will NEVER build a car from bottom up, because things wouldnt fit perfect and line up nicely for them, theyd have to do CUSTOM FIT WORK. dont soil your diapers if you ever try it guys.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

The core supports are different...I'm not real sure how else to say so.

1996 Part number for front bulkhead/core support assembly - 21186
2000 Part number for front bulkhead/core support assembly - 21189
(hondaautomotiveparts.org)

Having seen this done many times, both properly and improperly, I can assure you that having to trim and redrill and bend and flex parts to make them look decent is not the correct way to be doing things. Yeah, you can make this conversion look okay without the core support, but ithat doesn't mean it's being done correctly.

And, just for your peace of mind, I've built and repaired and modified more cars than you ever will, spanning from 1976 Corvettes to brand new Bimmers. Number of times I've hacked and redrilled something like a core support to make things look better: zero.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you hear what i said? yes, its a different part number, concrapulations. do you know what the actual difference is?? 2 holes..... everything else is the SAME. i didnt have to bend or flex anything, nor has anyone else who has done this, and i'm sure you can do a little search here on HT to find many pictures of great looking front end conversions with the stock core support.

heck dude, changing out the stock core support requires a hell of a lot more hacking and bending than this.

Have you ever done year conversions with ANY of those cars, or any major body modification? or did you install AEM intakes?

like the topic of this thread says, i need tips for adjusting the hood.... lets keep it on this topic. spank you.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:29 AM

just think of it this way! more vent for your motor!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have. Stock 99-00 front end on a 00 SI with an aftermarket CF hood (I won't say what manufacturer) and it fit just about exactly like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why wont you say??? you should say so you can warn us from having to go thru the same hassle!

in any case... how did you fix it? or did you just get a new hood?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s1ngle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you ever done year conversions with ANY of those cars, or any major body modification? or did you install AEM intakes? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I am not quite sure what the solution to your problem is....
You may think Archidictus is wrong, so be it. He has always been a reliable source for me on technical questions such as this. Im not saying the guy is right, but dont start bashing people because you dont agree with his answer. I personally think it is the rad support. I've seen two conversions side-by-side. One w/ a switched rad support and one without, you can tell which is which. Just my .02.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 AM

It's about a 20 min + $5 fix, get a metal grinding roto tool, put it on a drill(unless you have a dremel then even better), take off hood, make the holes on the hood hinges bigger (towards the front of the car), put hood back on.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not quite sure what the solution to your problem is....
You may think Archidictus is wrong, so be it. He has always been a reliable source for me on technical questions such as this. Im not saying the guy is right, but dont start bashing people because you dont agree with his answer. I personally think it is the rad support. I've seen two conversions side-by-side. One w/ a switched rad support and one without, you can tell which is which. Just my .02.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i appreciate your calm, adult response without hating. That will always get more respect from me, no matter who it comes from. I honestly dont see how it could be the rad support though. if installing a 99-00 rad support brought the front end back that much, then i know for a fact my 99-00 fenders would hit the door of my car... because the headlights would be pushed back, pushing the fenders back, etc...

thanks for your opinion though, i'm just not absolutely convinced that its not just the hood... and no one has given me convincing reasons as to why it wouldnt be the hood.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok from me just doing a quick search through the 96-98/99-00 conversions I see that people who kept the 96-98 rad supports were having fitment issues.... solutions were to cut some of the rad support out or to physically cut a couple pieces off of the bumper.....

He has the fitment issue:

He took and trimmed near the squares:

Heres some links for you:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1124618

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1160518

This guy is also having the same exact hood fitment issues as you, he also says that you need to do is drill 2 holes and then a lil trimming.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=790135

Quick Reply: anyone have problems with BKNW hoods? hood to short?