Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB?

Old 11-08-2002, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB?

Well, I'm pretty much gonna gut my interior. Just leave the dash, and the front passenger seats.

If you stripped it yourself, how long did it take to remove the carpeting? And, is it still intacted? I've never done this before, so just want to get some ideas of what I'm up against this weekend.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (ds9)

i had mine gutting from the front seats back,so i it looked normal up front carpet/door panels ect, and then the back had nothing at all. It tooks a few hours. The hardest part you will run into is taking off the tar. And the trick to taking out the tar is dry ice. (and get ready for a lot of road noise when you have a gutted car)
Old 11-08-2002, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (gambit33)

I feel helpful today:

Tom's (B18C5-EH2) Car

The items delted from my interior are as follows:

1. Tar - removed by crushing dry ice up with a hammer and then chipping off the tar after it froze solid

2. Carpet

3. Rear Seats

4. Headliner

5. door panels

6. Rear plastic panels

7. Firewall mat - big-*** mat that keeps sound out and insulates I guess? I don't care, because I don't miss it It's behind the dashboard

8. Radio - who needs it?

9. Speakers - see #8

10. Knee bolster car - it's behind the dash too - take out the dash

That's about it as far as the interior is concerned.

I think my car is even more "gutted" than most cars because I don't even have the headliner or any plastic trims. My fiancee' doesn't even mind riding in the car, but then again, she has a 1992 hatchback with a B16A2 swap and Tanabe Racing Medallion exhuast.

If I had a wuiet exhaust then the car would be totally civicl in terms of noise. If you run inner fender linings, then rocks/debris up front aren't a biggie, and in the rear it's not as bad as you would think either.

Highway road noise isn't bad, unless you have noisy-*** tires, but mine aren't too bad.

The only drawbacks I can see about a gutted interior is the cleanliness factor. Think about how long the car has had to collect dirt, grime, candy wrappers, food, melted crap, etc. under all that interior stuff.

Get some good degreaser and go to work!

I went ahead and painted all of mine when the car went for a full color change - the inside is now just as shiny as the outside, but this also means I have to keep the inside clean too - damp wipe-downs with my Absorber do the trick quite nicely though.

Overall, I love my stripped hatchback. It also helps to have a CX model too, and whn you go from an Si hatch to a CX that's stripped the difference is freaking insane.

Anyways, if you have any specific Q's about the stripping process feel free to ask here.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (jin_)

I feel helpful today:
What kind of a 96-00 hatch is that?

Old 11-08-2002, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (94HybridEX)

Couldnt find any 96+

All I found in search was this and Integra's
Old 11-08-2002, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (jin_)

I took out my backseats and scraped the tar **** off. Of course I took out the tire too..and the cardboard.

Old 11-13-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (proud BLACK honda owner)

thanks!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna know how he gets that to pass inspection.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:41 AM

dont do it, most of the saved weight comes from the spare anyway, my car was completley gutted except headline and dash for about 2 weeks, and it doesnt really make a noticable difference in speed, just noise.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (:hammer:)

dont do it, most of the saved weight comes from the spare anyway, my car was completley gutted except headline and dash for about 2 weeks, and it doesnt really make a noticable difference in speed, just noise.
your car is slow anyways
Old 11-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (:hammer:)

yes, i vote waste of time. If you are not going to make your car a purpose built race car, that will never be driven on the street again then go for it, but other than that, why turn your car into something you can never sell for a minimal ammount of weight reduction. Its your car but I could never understand the "worth it" part of gutting a street car.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (The AntiRice)

i agree.. i did my ek like that and all you can hear is road noise! keep the interior in and if you go race just pull it out.. not hard....
Old 11-13-2002, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (The AntiRice)

yes, i vote waste of time. If you are not going to make your car a purpose built race car, that will never be driven on the street again then go for it, but other than that, why turn your car into something you can never sell for a minimal ammount of weight reduction. Its your car but I could never understand the "worth it" part of gutting a street car.
My car is going to be used for either Improved Touring B (I think that's the class) and/or D or E Prepared (can't remember the class either at this point ) Researching for the a good roll cage. I know Roger Foo builds them, and he's located here in the Bay Area.

I'll still drive it on the street. Just not with my helmet.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a freind with a 98 thats stripped i will try and take some photos
Old 11-13-2002, 10:56 AM
New User

96 CX hatch.

Sorry it's so ******* huge...

to stripped, I really like the car this way.

I still need to pull the headliner, rear c-pillar plastic, a-pillar plastic, clean off the residual goo, and make some sheet metal door pods.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:40 PM
niceguy

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (MoBlack)

I just dont get why u strip your interiors...is your car a race car? It looks so ghetto IMO. But atleast the car weighs less
Old 11-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (niceguy)

Yeah, and where to you put your coffee in the morning?

On a more serious note, do you know how much weight this actually saved you?
Old 11-13-2002, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (Sushiboy)

It probably takes out about 75 pounds more or less.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (gambit33)

I made a deal with myself that instead of gutting my car, i would just go on a diet.

Heres a pic of someone's (*cough* Gambit *cough*) gutted ek..

[Modified by EKology, 2:15 PM 11/13/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (MoBlack)

96 CX hatch.

Sorry it's so ******* huge...

to stripped, I really like the car this way.

I still need to pull the headliner, rear c-pillar plastic, a-pillar plastic, clean off the residual goo, and make some sheet metal door pods.
you strip the interior, but yet, leave the 50lbs of wheel and jack andd BS in the car?
Old 11-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (Simple)

I used to have mine gutted....it was really loud and I only had the back seat, jack, spare, and the cardboard out. It was realyl noisy and I got tired of it. Made the car quicker, but then I got a turbo and decided I was tired of hearing my exhaust and road noise and loud *** azenis all the time!
Old 11-13-2002, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (Sushiboy)

Yeah, and where to you put your coffee in the morning?

On a more serious note, do you know how much weight this actually saved you?
CROTCH it.

just drive granny-style, cause if you spill.....

Old 11-13-2002, 03:53 PM

I hope this doesn't form into a bash on people that gut out their cars...But I also don't see much worth into doing this. I drive around with my hatch gutted because I am trying to piece back together my car after some lousy *** previous owner decided to not take care of it.

Now I spend my hard earned modification money on stock plastic panels and a carpet kit...I can't even begin to express the annoyance of loud noises while driving over 2 hours on the road. You can't hear music, people talking...I recently was able to acquire stock front and rear seats, and the rear seats alone cut down on 25% of the noise. I can't wait to get everyhting else back in one day.

Bottom line: It saddens me to see kids with brand new cars ripping the insides out to emulate the look of a endurance or curcuit car. Your flimsy side panels are very minimal...And carpet? Come on guys...When will some of you wise up.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB? (Simple)

you strip the interior, but yet, leave the 50lbs of wheel and jack andd BS in the car?
First of all, is that a race photo? Am I at the autox or the track when I took this picture? No.

Yeah the spare is in, because I daily drive it. I just like it being stripped. How hard is the spare to take out? it's not hard at all. Anyway, my interior was so stained and damaged I wasn't about to leave it in.

All the other little crap is being removed in time, I won't be removing the firewall mat until I take the dash off to run wiring/hoses. It's not like you can do everything in one day.

Bottom line, I like being stripped and others don't. Well thank god I own my stripped hatch and you don't.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, like i said, if its a purpose built race car, you have my blessing

Roger foo posts on here sometimes under the screen name "prospec" or check out http://www.foofighterracing.com to email him (in case you didnt know already)

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have pics of stripped interiors from a 96-00 Civic HB?