Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have Koni red shocks on their civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have Koni red shocks on their civic?

What's up,
Yeah, does anyone have these on their civic with performance springs? I recently got a set for a good price and I was planning to match them with Tein S. Tech springs. I was advised to go with the softest setting in the back and go with a little more rebound in the front. ANyways thanks for any info.
Jake
Old 07-06-2003, 12:39 AM

As far as I know reds are not adjustable. Koni yellows are adjustable.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (civic_tuner)

sorry to bring this thread back up but..

Koni red's ARE adjustable... so are the yellows..
Old 07-18-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (hoya_10fintec)

how do you adjust the reds? is it through the allen screw at the top?
i too thought that they were non-adjustable.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:04 PM

I know you have to remove the red from the car to adjust it, because you adjust it by turning it's body.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AcuraEL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AcuraEL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know you have to remove the red from the car to adjust it , because you adjust it by turning it's body.</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct.. but to adjust it, you have to push down the shock rod all the way down using allen key and wiggle it around a little 'til it clicks in... well, it doesn't "click" but you'll know what I mean when you actually adjust them..
Old 08-01-2003, 06:23 PM

What's up!
Finally someone knows how to adjust them... i've only been looking for a couple months haha. What's a allen key? I bought my used dammit. Anyways thanks for any info you can give. You guys made my day haha.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:18 PM
GSRswapandslow

i'm looking for some busted reds right now. I talked to the guys at Koni at the last ECHC race after the seminar...and he told us that all we have to do is call them and send them in with out setup and springs rates...and for a good price they'll take care of the valving for us. REbuild and vlave correctly, i should say.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:26 PM

Default Re: (GSRswapandbanned)

What's up,
Wow that's cool. So when you mean rebuild and revalve correctly does that mean they build it to match the spring rate? If so that'd be so cool. Anyways thanks for the great info!
Jake
Old 08-02-2003, 12:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoya_10fintec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

correct.. but to adjust it, you have to push down the shock rod all the way down using allen key and wiggle it around a little 'til it clicks in... well, it doesn't "click" but you'll know what I mean when you actually adjust them..</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the heck? i have koni reds on my civic...with skunk2 coilovers....*civic rates*...and yah...me and my friend couldnt reallie figure out how to adjust them...we just compressed and turned like the pictures showed...we turned em like 5 whole turns...so i think theyre all set on hard...lemme tell you...the rear is STIFF...so if you can...fingure out where softer is and put it there...and yah...i have no idea what clicking you are talkin about? so yah...KONI REDS=AWESOME SHOCKS
Old 08-02-2003, 01:05 AM

Default Re: (skunk2civicsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunk2civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

KONI REDS=AWESOME SHOCKS</TD></TR></TABLE>

YAY!
Old 08-02-2003, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pho Real)

Yes.. Koni reds ARE good shocks.. especially for the ppl that are on a budget...
Not the best in the world but it gets the job done NP..
3 years running with my coilovers all the way down(even in winter).. not one blew yet..

Here is how I adjusted them a year ago.. I'll try my best to explain how to do it:

1. have a clock or watch and allen keys ready..

2. using whatever to hold the shock still, then push down the shock rods ALL THE WAY DOWN using an allen key that looks like this----&gt;&gt; T
so you get a better grip when pushing the shock rod down..(you'll have a sore sORe arm after.. )

3. like I said before, when it's all the way down, try to wiggle it around and get it clicked in..(you have to do this yourself to understand what that "click" means)
I think clockwise=firm, counterclockwise=soft

4. Ok, you pushed it all the way down here.. and let go as you start counting with a watch or clock 'til the rod stops..(I got my front shocks 14~15 sec. I think.. and the rear are pretty stiff too so I'm gonna try to soften it)

5. do step 4 over and over to get it to where you like..(I recommend 14 sec. and up for the fronts and 12 sec or lower for the rears)

6. I really hope you understand what I'm trying to explain..

* I had to take the shocks off my car 3 times to get the right setting... yeah, big ******' pain in the butt.. but I enjoyed it...

best of luck

Old 08-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skunk2civicsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunk2civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what the heck? i have koni reds on my civic...with skunk2 coilovers....*civic rates*...and yah...me and my friend couldnt reallie figure out how to adjust them...we just compressed and turned like the pictures showed...we turned em like 5 whole turns...so i think theyre all set on hard...lemme tell you...the rear is STIFF...so if you can...fingure out where softer is and put it there...and yah... i have no idea what clicking you are talkin about? so yah...KONI REDS=AWESOME SHOCKS</TD></TR></TABLE>

try harder.. you get what you pay for..
and it's not a "click" I just don't know how to explain...

how about:

there's a goove inside the shock you can feel when shock rod is all the way down..
did you try to wiggle/turn the shock rod to get it in position?

EDIT: not 'goove'... groove

Modified by hoya_10fintec at 10:19 AM 8/2/2003
Old 08-02-2003, 08:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoya_10fintec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

try harder.. you get what you pay for..
and it's not a "click" I just don't know how to explain...

how about:

there's a goove inside the shock you can feel when shock rod is all the way down..
did you try to wiggle/turn the shock rod to get it in position?</TD></TR></TABLE>

WEL...my car is running stiff as crap...and it still is driveable...i think the skunk2s have great spring rates... at least the civic rates, on a civic. (as opposed to the integra rates) it is still a GREAT ride for being lowered, youll feel it on crappy roads tho. and you do get what you pay for. i got a good deal on em, so i bought em. i alwayz wanted tokico illuminas, but ehh. i REALLIE dont wanna take off all four corners to try and guess how stiff itz gunan be. SO, ill just be autox ready all the time.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have Koni red shocks on their civic? (kn1ghtrydr)

great advice here on adjusting Koni red's !