Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have experience with eBay "SRE" shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with eBay "SRE" shifters?

I need a dual bend badly in my EG. I'm about to bite the bullet on a B&M for $55 shipped however I wanted to see if anybody has ever used an SRE shifter from eBay. They have an aluminum one (no thanks) for $20 shipped, however there is a pretty nice looking stainless steel one for $28 shipped.

Here is the link for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRE-Civic-In...ht_1710wt_1396

It would be nice to snag it at half price, the car will no longer be a DD pretty soon anyways. It's made from 303 stainless steel, which so is the B&M. My biggest concern is breaking it, but honestly I'll never slam gears in a D-Series like I do on GSRs and the like anyways.

So is this a nice piece for $28? Or should I fork out double the price for the B&M?

NO I WILL NOT GET JUNK2.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Anyone have experience with eBay "SRE" shifters?

Go to a pick n pull and yank out an integra oem dual bend. Will be even cheaper. And are you seriously worried about braking your shift lever? How hard are you bangin gears dude jeebus. A little finesse goes a long way man, you dont need to shift that hard unless you want to prematurely wear out your shift fork.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've personally never dealt with SRE, but i am VERY happy with my B&M. It is just a shifter, but you get what you pay for. My B&M cam with all the necessary O-rings and such to make her fit tight and like new. I went ahead and did new polyurethane bushings with my install as well and am happy with the nice and tight fit.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you can't find anything about a company in Google after 10 minutes of searching, I'd generally stay away from that company.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1ryder
Go to a pick n pull and yank out an integra oem dual bend. Will be even cheaper. And are you seriously worried about braking your shift lever? How hard are you bangin gears dude jeebus. A little finesse goes a long way man, you dont need to shift that hard unless you want to prematurely wear out your shift fork.
Dude every single time I go to the Denver/KC junkyards most the Hondas are pretty stripped.

Originally Posted by crawfo661
I've personally never dealt with SRE, but i am VERY happy with my B&M. It is just a shifter, but you get what you pay for. My B&M cam with all the necessary O-rings and such to make her fit tight and like new. I went ahead and did new polyurethane bushings with my install as well and am happy with the nice and tight fit.
Good point, I need to e-mail the SRE people and see what kind of hardware they include. I'd hate for it to shift just as sloppy as the cheap *** single bend aluminum short throw does that came with the car. I actually have poly bushings from my old EK I never put on.. are they the same for EG? I really just totally remembered that, sweet!

Anyone else out there that has actually used an SRE shifter like this?

aedit: jbpnoman - I searched myself and found mainly people talking about the products on Maxima forums. I'm pretty sure it's an eBay only company, which a lot of those companies actually make decent parts. There is one guy that makes charge piping kits for DC Tegs for like $85 shipped and the build quality is very nice.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay shifters tend to break when you need them most haha
Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then you're shifting too damn hard.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Then you're shifting too damn hard.
oh im only quoting what I've read in the past. I've never had the need for an aftermarket shifter.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A shifter is a shifter, if it breaks then you probably have bigger problems. I would go for it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jesus people I never said I'm breaking shifters.. I have bought a few cars actually that I later found out the shifter snapped and they covered it up using a ricer allen-key shift **** since the threads were uhhhh completely gone. I want to make sure this won't happen... But like I said the SRE one I linked is all stainless steel they have the same exact shifter in aluminum. Those are the ones that break or so I thought.

I'm going to e-mail the seller and get some more info.. Hardware, warranty, etc. I'm sure it'll work fine, but it probably won't fit as tight as a B&M if he doesn't include very great hardware. Ahhh I'm so torn I'll probably go for the cheap one since I just bought charge piping and other stuff today.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good point, I need to e-mail the SRE people and see what kind of hardware they include. I'd hate for it to shift just as sloppy as the cheap *** single bend aluminum short throw does that came with the car. I actually have poly bushings from my old EK I never put on.. are they the same for EG? I really just totally remembered that, sweet!

yes, the poly bushings are the same for all 88-2000 with shift bars. Thow those in and you may be happy enough with the result and may not need the new shifter
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crawfo661

yes, the poly bushings are the same for all 88-2000 with shift bars. Thow those in and you may be happy enough with the result and may not need the new shifter
It's a crappy aluminum single bend shifter, I hate it so much. Very sloppy and it just feels so cheap. I love the positioning of dual bend ones too. Hell I might just say eff it and get the BM since I don't need to spend money on poly bushings now. I'll see what they have to say back to me first, I have until tomorrow night to decide. I always try to order my parts Sunday night so they ship first thing Monday.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went ahead and decided to give the SRE a try. I figure worst case scenario if I don't like it, I'll either put it in my hatch or re-sell it on craigslist or another local forum. I should definitely have it installed next weekend along with the poly bushings. Will bump this thread and report back when it's all said and done. Just wish I had something I could easily compare it to.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got an e-mail back from the seller, apparently he's seen the thread lol. But from the sounds of it, sounds pretty legit. There's only two left so if anyone that is possibly interested in trying out one of the other two, here's more info on it.

E-mail response:
To give you a little background history on these shifters, I used to have a retail storefront in 2005 and sold all sorts of nick nack tuner items way before I started metal fabrication. A company called Mackin Industries which is an overseas manufacturer as well as a major distributor for Volk Wheels and Wheel mate products, was contracted by B&M to manufacture the dual bend and straight shifters for the Honda and Acura applications. For some undisclosed reason, the deal fell through but the product was already made. They couldn't sell them as B&M units as lawsuits would arise. They just sold them to their wholesale customers as civic/integra shifters and these 3 units are the last ones that I have. They are made from 303 stainless steel as a magnet will not stick to the shifter and are considerably much heavier than the aluminum shifters that I sell. They come with the assorted o-ring set just like the B&M. It just doesn't come with the multipurpose grease and the nice retail packaging. I also noticed that the units that I am selling have a mirror polish finish while the b&m units have a machine finish which is my guess as why the deal didn't go through. As with the B&M packaged shifter, you will have to reuse the factory metal bushing from the factory shifter. This is why there are no metal spacers as there are no bearings. I already read all the posts on H-T. People love to flame especially when they have no facts. I guarantee that you will be glad you took the gamble. Like I stated before, all you will need to complete the installation is the multipurpose grease and the factory metal bushing from the stock shifter. You will also reuse the nut and bolt that holds the shift linkage to the shifter.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm in a bind. I don't have the rear joint collar because I did not have a stock shifter in the car. I had one of those shitty shifters with the skateboard bearings... Ordered the rear joint collar, shift lever ball seat and shift level dust seal all from Honda and it's $12 for EACH part. ~$40 on little stupid *** parts is more money then the shifter was.

I still have the ball seat I believe, isn't in the greatest of shape but it should do. I obviously need the rear joint collar the most, should I just get that and the dust seal and call it good?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why skimp out? You get what you pay for is the old saying and it sticks true. B&M has a long track record and just about every one of my cars has one. Daily driving my EVO X, I love it. If it's as good as it is in that car for every make and model, spend the extra 30$ and get something that will last the life of the car.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having had all 3 (B&M, Integra OEM, and SRE), I will NEVER steer away from the Teg shifter ! Throw the Teg shifter with ES bushings and call it a day!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SupaDoopa
Why skimp out? You get what you pay for is the old saying and it sticks true. B&M has a long track record and just about every one of my cars has one. Daily driving my EVO X, I love it. If it's as good as it is in that car for every make and model, spend the extra 30$ and get something that will last the life of the car.
I need the OEM rear joint collar from the OEM shifter. B&M/Skunk2/etc. do not provide this part. My car was already equipped with a horrible "short throw" with skateboard bearings. I get what I pay for? This SRE is IDENTICAL to a B&M aside from packaging and including lube. Everything on the B&M parts list was minus lube/instructions, came with the SRE.

Magpulman - I do like the OEM Teg shifters but can never find one. Plus I do enjoy the reduced throw.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

A non-technical question about value belongs in the Value thread at the top.