Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation?

got some new tires mounted on my Advan's today, and the place that did it tore lip of all 4 rims to hell. anyone know what is usually done for compensation when crap like this happens? i dont think the wheels can really be repainted since i doubt anyone could accurately replicate the blue band around the wheel with "Advan Racing" inside of it...

Brian
-owner of some rough looking RG's
Old 06-14-2002, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (Brian*Black99Si)

Ya I have. Back when Fedco was still opened I bought four tires from them and when the tech took my rims off he dropped them on the ground and one was damaged. So I talked to the manager and he said take it to someone that repairs rims....after I did that I brought him back the two estimates and they gave me a check for the repairs.

If I were you I would talk to the manager/owner and see what he's willing to do for you. Legally I dont think there obligated to do any thing because it's hard to prove who or what caused the damage ie: the shop or the road. Good luck with that hope they stand behind there work.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (stuckatworksi)

They should give you something if they ruined your rims. Sounds like the used the wrong machine. They is a special euro style tire mounter that grabs the face of the wheel. So the wheel is upside down. And it grabs the outer egde of the rim.

Then the tire is placed from the back per usual.

If he scratched the face of your rims its because he did it totally wrong.

Make them get you new rims or take them to small claims court.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (stuckatworksi)

well, they told me they had a tough time with the machine mounting the tires onto the wheels, even though i have the recommended wheel width for the size tire i got. they acknowledged that fact also, the on duty guy checked the tire rack page and agreed there was no problem with the tire sizing. i'll have pictures up later, the area that is damaged can only be damaged by the machine they use.

i have to call back on monday so i can talk to the manager to see what he can do for me, hopefully it will work out in my favor. and they are already acknowledging that they messed the wheels up. if they try to dick me over on it, i will make sure they are no longer listed as a "recommended installation location" from Tire Rack

Brian
Old 06-14-2002, 05:16 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (Brian*Black99Si)

i work at the tire center at costco in NOVA and our policy is if we **** it up and the customer sees it and tells us we will fix or replace it w/ little or no hassle.. it is easy to mount a tire w/ any sidewall bigger than a 55 but once you go smaller than that then it can get tough.. and yes there is a way you can use the euro machine so that it will not touch the outter face of the rim by reverse mounting the tires.. and then there is a machine that is only meant for steel rims and i hope no one ever uses that machine on alloy rims cause it ***** them up real bad.. go and bitch and get 4 new rims from them and take it some place else that will do a better job on mounting the tires.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (95CivicEX)

glad to see there is some hope out there . dunno how willing they will be to replace when they see its going to be over a grand to replace these wheels though . the tires in question were 205/50/15 Bridgestone S-03's, and the sidewall actually feels somewhat softer than the previous tires mounted on the rims. i used to mount tires also, and I know how hard it can be, but i never scratched up a rim, though the 205/45/16 was pretty tough

Brian
Old 06-14-2002, 09:29 PM
New User

Old 06-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (SleeperEG6)

pics

wheels used to be *mint*
full size pics here http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291725697

Brian
Old 06-14-2002, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, the guy who mounted your tires did it COMPLETELY wrong.

Make them get you new rims, and don't settle for anything less. I would MAKE sure to contact tire rack to see if they can help get this settled if they were recommended by them.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, man!! REFUND quick!! sorry this has to happen to you man
Old 06-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (pagong)

OH NO!! That's * insert foul explative here*, you need to get fully refunded, if they start trying to act cute on the phone fry there *** with a court subpoena

[Modified by Halo, 12:27 AM 6/15/2002]
Old 06-15-2002, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (Halo)

go get them powder coated gunmetal, may look better
Old 06-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (CivilizedCiv)

damn they really messed those up....no excuse for that

Yager-
Old 06-15-2002, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (CivilizedCiv)

go get them powder coated gunmetal, may look better
Anyhow, I've been interested in those tires, I'd be interested in how they run on the street. Sorry about your mishap, looks repaintable from the pics...I'm sure they will fess up. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (ThunderLips)

ouch!
Old 06-15-2002, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got some new tires mounted on my Advan's today, and the place that did it tore lip of all 4 rims to hell. anyone know what is usually done for compensation when crap like this happens? i dont think the wheels can really be repainted since i doubt anyone could accurately replicate the blue band around the wheel with "Advan Racing" inside of it...

Brian
-owner of some rough looking RG's
damn that sucks....
just happened to a friend and i. we traded wheels and we had sears swap the tires. my ssr comps now have little dings around the lip!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (broke1)

looks bad...seems like bad service...i would definitely try to get some new rims off of this...the fact they look like that and used to be mint says it all...sorry to hear that...i'm due for new tires too...hope i don't get the same service...where'd you get this done at?
Old 06-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (EKmike)

I do not see how these fucktards ruin wheels like that!

I mount tires on wheels on a daily basis, and I have NEVER even scratched a wheel before.

I had just learned how to mount tires and only days later I had to mount up 5 sets of tires on 5 sets of Rotas that we sold, and not a single one of them ended up scratched.

It's not even about experience, it's about the machine that they use and the lack of care used by the person mounting the stuff up.

I would be hella-pissed about that, and the possibility of them replacing your wheels is probably slim. They will probably be shocked to see how much those wheels cost since they're probably used to selling American Racing **** or something.

Keep us posted, and I'd find out exactly which "tech" did that to the wheels and I'd at least say something to the *******.

Old 06-15-2002, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** that, Brian you need to have the place that did that purchase you a new set of wheels dude.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (neof69)

Hell yeah I wouldn't let them get away for damaging Advan RG's!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (EKen9)

fry them bastads if they dont meet your demands
good luck
take them to judge joe brown
lata
chris
Old 06-15-2002, 07:55 AM
JV
Who?

Default Ouch!!!

Damn they really did a job on your rims......

Is their mounting machine from the 1960's or something? Definitly make them payup......
Old 06-15-2002, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (EKen9)

OMFG--if you don't think you have a legitimate gripe, you're nuts!!! Imagine if that happened to someone's Benz wheels. Why should they treat you any differently???

They absolutely owe you AT LEAST a refinishing job along with a set of loaner wheels in case you don't have your stockers. Realistically, they owe you a set of new wheels.

Tire places are usually very careful with my stuff. The 2 times I've dealt w/ NTB, the manager put an experienced guy on the job, who mad sure to point out the scratches that were already there. You must've ended up with a complete novice.

Good luck--I hope the store manager isn't a dick. I'm pretty sure shops have "fVck up insurance" for cases like this.

Old 06-15-2002, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation? (gamby)

Man that totally sucks I hope you get some sort of compensation for that.

But in reality, due to the nature of where the scratches occurred, I think they will counter argue saying that you curbed them. Obviously you didn't by looking at the pix, but this is what they will say trying to cover their ***. I've been through this before, and it's a long and arduous process. Hope it works out.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If getting compensation fails, check a wheel repair shop. They can do amazing things, maybe even a powdercoating place, they could always mask around the blue advan line, and powdercoat up from there. Anyways, sorry that happened.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with damaged rims from tire installation?