Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories?

Lets here some of those horror stories about aftermarket parts that just didn't fit right, poorly built/made, and parts that just caused you to seek professional counseling. Now's the time to tell the whole world!

[Modified by imsoprfct, 8:47 PM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories? (imsoprfct)

got a carbonfiber hood off ebay a long time ago. the damn thing had bubles in the resin and no clear coat. if you don't clear a cf hood it turns yellow. well one of hte bubles cracked so i had fill it in with new resin. i had some friend in my schools arospace department help with it. one of the accidently grabbed the wrong kind of resin. the new resin turn **** yellow after about 4 months in sunlight.

that is the patch of resin. i had to color sand it to make it look like the rest of the hood. it was all good untill the resin changed color. word of advice: buy a hood from a top of the line distributer like cwest or fiber images. pay the extra $! it's worth it
Old 04-29-2002, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories? (snail)

Freakin POS ADR spider wheels; got a crack from normal driving
Old 04-29-2002, 12:04 PM

Ok, these aren't after markert stories, but get this: I bought my engine swap a while ago. The guy who sold it to my is drunk.
-The distributor was fake. It wasn't cocked off to on side.
-The shift linkage doesn't fit. The stabilizer bar and shifter bar hit each other.
-2 injectors were missing the rubber ring. gas everywhere.
-The gas return thingy on the end of the fuel rail was missing the rubber ring too.
Oh yeah, and if you buy a cold air for a stock civic, plan on rigging that up. the opening on the CAI tube is WAY bigger than the opening on the intake. but thats enough of my problems.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:18 PM
New User

VIS Spec II Coilovers.
Brushed Aluminum Floor Mats.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back about a year ago I bought a used Ex head....it was supposed to be low milage, good shape.

I open it up, and disassemble it...full of metal shavings, cam bearings ground up, and I paid $400 for it!!
Old 04-29-2002, 12:30 PM

Thermal R&D classic exhaust for my 95 Civic:

6 months into using it the midpipe cracked, so I had them replace it, it still got me a loud muffler ticket, frustrated by now I bought an Apex-i WS exhaust.

Meanwhile, I cut open the original midpipe muffler and found that the "unburnable" packing was indeed burnt out, I had the rear section density tested at Thermal, they sent me a new muffler and refused to get me the test results. The customer service rep, well she hung up on me. I swore I'd never use Thermal again on my car. I sold the slightly used midpipe and new rear section to someone else.

It still amazes me that all these poeople email me saying that their Thermal is fine, why was mine an exception? I really wish I knew that too?

I wasted $440.00 on that purchase.....
Old 04-29-2002, 12:49 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories? (C5_ALLMOTOR)

VIS Spec II Coilovers.
Brushed Aluminum Floor Mats.

lol!
look at what you wrote
Yes, the parts I wrote down are self-explanatory.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheap POS non-honda distributor rotor. Goddamn retaining screw backed out on me and the car died on a 2 lane hwy, couldnt even get it onto the shoulder thank god someone stopped to help me push it, almost lost the car that day!
Old 04-29-2002, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i ordered a duckbill for my hatchback and it was sorry!! the fit was horrible!

story 2: well this is the worst thing that ever happend.. well i use to own a 92 hb civic and it needed some work, well alot of work! i traded it to a guy that lived in another state. come to find out once i got home with the new car. he had signed it wrong on the back of the title and i had to wait like a whole two months before i got the title straight.. i had to go back to the original owner and get a clean title because when he bought the car he never got the title transfered

you only learn from your mistakes! if you want a cf duckbill or hood get the best its worth the few extra bucks.. any aftermarket part.

[Modified by jdmeg6turbo, 10:01 PM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After I added all my bolt ons to my B18c, I decided to add a fuel pressure regulator. My friend had just added the AEM stand alone regulator to his turbo B18c, which was down for a little repair, so he let me take it for my dyno session. Just set it to stock, and drove my car normal for a few days until my dyno appt. Since my friends car was just coming out of the garage, I bought him a new AEM regulator to replace the one I took. When I got to the dyno, Aries (Dynamic Autosports) told me that wasn't a very good unit to regulate fuel. WHAT!? It's AEM, a quality company, it cost me like 100 bucks! He started the session, and immediately after every run, showed me the gauge, it slipped by about 2 points every run, and didn't come back up. He suggested I pick up an add on regulator, like the low priced B&M, which holds up perfect....and he was right. After the dyno session, I went home and added a Vortech (same as B&M) regulator, set the pressure to the number that had dyno'd the best, and did a few hard runs, checking the gauge after each run, and it didn't loose anything. Luckily me and my friend found someone that wanted the AEM regulator, so we gladly sold ours, and made our money back.

[Modified by rodrez, 10:03 PM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories? (MHhonda92)

sounds like u were drunk when u bought the thing
Old 04-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have any Crappy Parts Horror Stories? (deepnite)

2 years ago on my old car ( a craplier) i got the andys rear bumper.. god i coulda made a better kit from wood.. P.O.S.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hands down by far the worst mods for anyone will allways be the "H" or "A" badges. I allways see them bleed or fade irregularly. I've seen it too many times to remember all the damn companies that supply these stupid things @ $35.00 pair.

[Modified by Honda4CX-R, 9:10 PM 4/29/2002]