Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have 6th gen gauge faces scanned in Photoshop or Corel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have 6th gen gauge faces scanned in Photoshop or Corel?

Originally Posted by TwoFacedCustoms
grumblemarc could you elaborate if it isn't too much trouble? I've never used illustrator at all. Would that make it easier to make a complete new tick mark setup for like kmph?
Yes it would but only if you know how to use Illustrator. If I have time this weekend I'll mock these up for anyone that wants them in Illustrator. You don't want to mess with Photoshop when doing this kind of stuff if you want it to turn out well. These are actual size are they not?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be awesome man, I'd definitely like to have them in illustrator. I haven't seen this done before personally so through a cooperative effort hopefully we can all get some gauges made up. I already have the process figured out after the drawings are all done, of course I'll run into all kinds of problems like most people do with something new.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How is the progress on your custom gauges going?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Standstill at the moment. I did a little more work on the fuel side...

I'm painting my friends Yamaha R6 and I just got done with fixing all the cracks and all the prep work.

You dig into it yet?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I got my SI cluster inserts free because someone I know thinks euroglow gauges are nicer than OEM SI... go figure.

Gimme a second I'll go scan 'em. I'm not taking the time to clear them up, ur going to get raw files. My scanner will put them into jpg, so there's no sense in importing then resaving to psd.

brb
Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
I got my SI cluster inserts free because someone I know thinks euroglow gauges are nicer than OEM SI... go figure.

Gimme a second I'll go scan 'em. I'm not taking the time to clear them up, ur going to get raw files. My scanner will put them into jpg, so there's no sense in importing then resaving to psd.

brb
That's still a start...thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://yblegal.net/images/bin/si_cluster.jpg

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Your scanner FTW...mine sucks.

Thanks alot that's really gonna help out...

Is all the red faded as bad as the scan makes it seem or just the scanner from the light?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your scanner FTW...mine sucks.

Thanks alot that's really gonna help out...

Is all the red faded as bad as the scan makes it seem or just the scanner from the light?
Lol Canon MX850 all in one printer.

The red is much deeper, it looks just like type-r red in real life.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah my cluster is much deeper...figured it was the scanner since they put out so much light during the scan.

Once again thanks man...I'm sure everyone on here will appreciate that.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine is helping me at the moment. He uses PS daily at work (retouching photos for a magazine) so we will see how it goes. They are looking sweet so far, but Ill wait until the rough versions are done to upload some photos.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So...hows everyone progressing with their gauges, I'm replicating the mugen gauges since I have a brushed metal bezel that ill just get powdercoated red, it would be sick if we could get the more popular gauges replicated like type r, spoon etc... oh and at the Guy who was gonna do a veoctor, please do a vector of the si gauges if you wouldn't mind.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by m0squ1t0
So...hows everyone progressing with their gauges, I'm replicating the mugen gauges since I have a brushed metal bezel that ill just get powdercoated red, it would be sick if we could get the more popular gauges replicated like type r, spoon etc... oh and at the Guy who was gonna do a veoctor, please do a vector of the si gauges if you wouldn't mind.
Just finished painting my buddy's R6 so I'll start work on the gauges again soon...I plan on doing a mph version of the CTR cluster...JDM is cool and whatnot but I like being able to not guess my speed...doesn't seem like cops would be too friendly if I tried to explain "I misjudged my speed cause of the kmph but I got that mad JDM cluster dawg"
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this sound interesting what are you doing and how do u do it?????? are u printing on sticker paper?????? painting????? i'm build a delsol from the ground up and this sound like it could be a real cool sub-project for some one off / custom part parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Sticker paper? Nononono...you would get crazy uneven results for light distro especially if you tried to use custom fonts and stuff...

I already have the process worked out...it's kind of hard to explain but I will do a full write-up on it as soon as I finish...

TO EVERYBODY SUBSCRIBED TO THIS!!!!!

Somebody help me find an exact/close match to the number font used on the CTR cluster and I will mach everybody up ctr gauges...they're already done I just need a closer matching font than what I have. Post up on here if you find something! Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

SOOOOOOO...I couldn't find a font anywhere close to what I wanted...and I know this is the cheap way of doing it...but I got a CTR pic off google images...and photoshopped the numbers off...and placed them individually in the cleaned up face of the SI that I used courtesy of theYBLEGAL....

This is still a rough mach of the USDM Ctr rep I'm making so I can still have MPH...

Of course it needs some work and obviously the other gauges need to be done but that's all I got done tonight.

I still have to add the "mph" above the trip and od...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So do you have a plastic printer?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
So do you have a plastic printer?
Nope...this will require some help from kinkos or FedEx
Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the most obsured thing I ever heard making fake clusters !!!! WOW all the time u will put into this for something fake work a few extra hours and get the real thing .......
Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think this is a great idea but i'm just wondering, how will you get the gauge faces to light up? if these are printed onto vinyl then the light wont shine through the backing.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by kallar68
i think this is a great idea but i'm just wondering, how will you get the gauge faces to light up? if these are printed onto vinyl then the light wont shine through the backing.
Printed on clear stuff like they use for overhead projectors...front layer is what you will actually see...second layer is ONLY the black parts that wont light up so the light doesnt fade through the thin black first layer...last layer is amber in ONLY the spots you want to light up to create the color that will show at night...

@eghatch4sale...are you kidding? I have fun doing it...if NOTHING else...simply the fact that I'm doing something on my honda that I'm having fun with...and doesn't compromise the safety...and doesn't have fake performance gains or particularly hideous appearance...should be enough.

I have a spare EX cluster...I have some spare time at my house that I can spend on the computer messing around with photoshop and still be around my son as opposed to working extra...I'm on salary so hours mean nothing to me anyways...and a ctr cluster can be 300 to 400...maybe cheaper if you find a good deal...and it reads kmph...I travel in areas with too many cops to guess my speeds and deal with learning conversions...I want to look at my speed and know exactly what I'm doing without having to spend a single extra second thinking about it....so 300 dollars on kmph so I can have the real JDM ****...or spend a couple of bucks on printing and the CTR bezel...maybe 50...to get an MPH version of a cluster I like? More power to people that have the money to spend on the real deal...no disrespect to you...but to each their own. Don't knock on it till you see a finished product...if I get this finished...and it looks like ****...knock all you want...couple hours and a couple dollars wasted...w.e
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Printed on clear stuff like they use for overhead projectors...front layer is what you will actually see...second layer is ONLY the black parts that wont light up so the light doesnt fade through the thin black first layer...last layer is amber in ONLY the spots you want to light up to create the color that will show at night...

@eghatch4sale...are you kidding? I have fun doing it...if NOTHING else...simply the fact that I'm doing something on my honda that I'm having fun with...and doesn't compromise the safety...and doesn't have fake performance gains or particularly hideous appearance...should be enough.

I have a spare EX cluster...I have some spare time at my house that I can spend on the computer messing around with photoshop and still be around my son as opposed to working extra...I'm on salary so hours mean nothing to me anyways...and a ctr cluster can be 300 to 400...maybe cheaper if you find a good deal...and it reads kmph...I travel in areas with too many cops to guess my speeds and deal with learning conversions...I want to look at my speed and know exactly what I'm doing without having to spend a single extra second thinking about it....so 300 dollars on kmph so I can have the real JDM ****...or spend a couple of bucks on printing and the CTR bezel...maybe 50...to get an MPH version of a cluster I like? More power to people that have the money to spend on the real deal...no disrespect to you...but to each their own. Don't knock on it till you see a finished product...if I get this finished...and it looks like ****...knock all you want...couple hours and a couple dollars wasted...w.e
We do "dumb" **** like this all the time around here. I think it's fun going over the top to do something yourself. I'm glad I could jump start your project. I will follow to see your results.

For fonts, download This
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's a great project and I can't believe none of those "indiglo" gauge making companies haven't been smart enough to make knock-off CTR, Spoon, Etc gauges.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
I think it's a great project and I can't believe none of those "indiglo" gauge making companies haven't been smart enough to make knock-off CTR, Spoon, Etc gauges.
I know...it seems like it would be easier and alot more marketable for them...

I don't know why anybody hasn't tried it yet as far as the mph version of it...the ctr cluster is cool and all but I really don't think I'd like the kmph mess.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this **** is pretty cool. some good stuff in this thread, ima make a few

Quick Reply: Anyone have 6th gen gauge faces scanned in Photoshop or Corel?