Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone found a solution to Skunk2 throttlebody Sticking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone found a solution to Skunk2 throttlebody Sticking??

Has anyone found a solution to the problem the skunk2 throttlebodies have about sticking when you come to a stoplight? im running a 68mm and am tired of people thinking im revving on them when i snap my throttle to get my car to idle at 700 instead of 1.5-2K

maybe ill get an answer quicker here than the all-motor forum
Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM

damn topic moves down the list a hell of alot faster in here than all-motor!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (spracer03)

wd40
Old 03-20-2006, 04:43 PM

didnt work for me...
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Anyone found a solution to Skunk2 throttlebody Sticking?? (spracer03)

they stick, i just bought by skunk2 manifold for my d16 from ebay brand new and was gonna order the s2 throttle body next week or so..
Old 03-20-2006, 10:14 PM

somone has gotta know... i guess ill just call skunk2 tomorrow, ill let you all know what they tell me
Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've heard the same things....bump for an answer.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone found a solution to Skunk2 throttlebody Sticking?? (spracer03)

do they have bump screws on the side? that how it was on my b16 tb and why it was sticking. you have ot play with it a bit. its there to keep it from sticking, just raise it up.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 AM

i had to take the plate stop screw all the way out to get it to idle below 1k... and when it was in there it still had the same problem
Old 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM

There's a couple things you have to do..

remove the throttlebody and flip it over..

loosen the jam nut on the throttle stop screw..

screw the stop screw in, opening the butterfly..
while repeatedly lightly snapping the throttle shut by hand, slowly back the stop screw out til it JUST starts to stick.. screw it in just far enough to where it does not stick but is completely closed..

hold the set screw with an allan wrench so it will not turn and tighten the jam nut..

Now you need to line the TB gasket up to the manifold and the TB and make sure all the ports will be outlined by the gasket correctly on both the TB and the manifold so you will not have any vacuume leaks..

adjust the TPS to ~0.45 volts using a digital multimeter..

Disconnect the plug from the IACV on the back of your intake and adjust the idle to ~450 rpm using the brass air bleed screw on the top front of the throttlebody after the engine is warm.. Shut the engine off and reconnect the plug on the IACV.. you should have no problem from there on out..
Old 03-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Gadget)

Just a tip, a lot of the times, a sticky throttle plate is because the nut for the throttle wheel is just tightened too much. It may be an issue with the Skunk throttle bodies, but a lot of the sticking problems I've encountered are from overtightened throttle wheels. Just a suggestion, good luck.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (Gadget)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gadget &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a couple things you have to do..

remove the throttlebody and flip it over..

loosen the jam nut on the throttle stop screw..

screw the stop screw in, opening the butterfly..
while repeatedly lightly snapping the throttle shut by hand, slowly back the stop screw out til it JUST starts to stick.. screw it in just far enough to where it does not stick but is completely closed..

hold the set screw with an allan wrench so it will not turn and tighten the jam nut..

Now you need to line the TB gasket up to the manifold and the TB and make sure all the ports will be outlined by the gasket correctly on both the TB and the manifold so you will not have any vacuume leaks..

adjust the TPS to ~0.45 volts using a digital multimeter..

Disconnect the plug from the IACV on the back of your intake and adjust the idle to ~450 rpm using the brass air bleed screw on the top front of the throttlebody after the engine is warm.. Shut the engine off and reconnect the plug on the IACV.. you should have no problem from there on out.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
THanks for the lil write up but thats to fix a problem opposite of what mine is... mine sticks open on deceleration, what you wrote it to fix sticking when pressing the gas pedal. thanks anyways though!

and about the throttle wheel bolt ill check that tomorrow
Old 03-22-2006, 03:29 PM

My bad.. It's a good write up for someone who needs to know how to adjust it tho..

you might have to place a hardened washer under the back side of the throttle wheel to keep the throttle wheel from pulling all the way down over the throttle shaft and making contact with the throttle housing..

I've seen where the shoulder on the flats of the throttle shaft are not large enough to support someone torqueing on the shaft nut..
Old 10-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone found a solution to Skunk2 throttlebody Sticking??

Originally Posted by Spracer03
Has anyone found a solution to the problem the skunk2 throttlebodies have about sticking when you come to a stoplight? im running a 68mm and am tired of people thinking im revving on them when i snap my throttle to get my car to idle at 700 instead of 1.5-2K

maybe ill get an answer quicker here than the all-motor forum
Posting in case anyone else finds this on a search. Put a skunk 68mm on and it was sticking. What i found to be happening was the butterfly was sticking inside the bore when snapped closed. If throttle was let off 'easy', it would hang just before closed, idling about 1.5k. I took fine sandpaper, sprayed wd40, and gave the inside a light going over. Even got the edges of the butterfly. Then cleaned thoroughly and no more stick.