Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone ever run stretched tires on an EG hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever run stretched tires on an EG hatch?

im sorry if this has been covered a million times. I'm new to the honda forums, i've been part of the VW forums for quite some time where poke and stretched tires are all the craze over there. It seems no one does this on the EG. I understand why no one does it in the front but does anyone do it in the back? and if so, pics? thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone ever run stretched tires on an EG hatch?

a lot of preludes and stuff do it with wide rims that have low offsets, like ssr's. theres a thread about it somewhere, they all run camber and tuck em like the dubbers. its more of a v dub thing to do

welcome to honda! another v dubber finally making the right choice ;D
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL! There are tons of people running tires like this. Check out the Appearance/Cosmetic forums. That's where you will find the most threads on this topic.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I "assume" when you guys say running "stretched" tires you mean a tire with a very short sidewall height? Just asking to make sure that's what this is about.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im getting some new rotas with a 195/50, bc i dont know much about tire stretching, and when its crazy slim, i think it looks weird. doesnt it reduce life of the tire as well? im lookin to have dd that doesnt need new tires every 3 months lols
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^Just an example a 195 tire on say a 7 inch wide wheel, that should have a 205 would cause a stretch. smaller tire on a wide wheel.

Not only is it ugly, its dangerous. Tires that are stretched have been known to just fall apart. I have seen a ef hatch smack a wall at over 70 due to a stretched tire blowing.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno about all of that I have run streached and never had problrms, I ran 195 on my 16x9 schmidt's, but that is my experince and i ran a little high on the PSI, check other fourms were more peple run em, (bimmer/240/Vdub) they would have more knowledge , I have run the opposite as well, a 195 on a 14x5... and it felt pretty good, and I ran those hard as well. I have seen new bimmers off the lot with a mild streach, and I know Drifters streach the **** outta there tires... I would honestly say if you were to sreach do it out of necessity rather than looks, I had to streach a tire and roll my fenders to get the stance I was looking for (without shredding my side walls), it is not practical as I wear out tires quicker due to camber but that is a price i am more than willing to pay for a look I want, you have to pay to play, and i was willing to pay. Unless your rim offset or drop is aggressive I would say you wont need to, but hey, its your car, do what u want!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Master Detailer

sir, just because you havent had any problems doesnt mean you wont, you could have a blow out today, i hope you dont. You have no clue to when or where it will happen.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a 195 on a 7" wheel is usually ok. Its at the bottom of the range. Stretching is not safe. Having to modify the body and run camber in order to fit wider tires makes sense. even though on the street pretty much all you need is a good summer tire. possibly a 215 or something depending on power.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
I "assume" when you guys say running "stretched" tires you mean a tire with a very short sidewall height? Just asking to make sure that's what this is about.
No, tire stretching is where you take a tire that has a narrower tread than for the rim it will be mounted on and stretching the sidewall to fit the tire on the rim.

The problem is most people grab low profile tires to do this, which iis most likely to cause a blowout due to stretching a sidewall that is not meant to have any flex. When stretching a tire you shouldn't go with anything smaller than a 55 series sidewall to greatly reduce such problems.

To the guy whining about the guy who smacked a wall on a blowout, a blowout can occur at anytime and I've had my fair share and have NEVER slammed into anything. That's sheer driver error, that he tried to bame on a tire, which only a fool would believe. Once the tire blows you're driving on rim, that will NOT sling you in to a wall without extreme variables being added.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
^^Just an example a 195 tire on say a 7 inch wide wheel, that should have a 205 would cause a stretch. smaller tire on a wide wheel.

Not only is it ugly, its dangerous. Tires that are stretched have been known to just fall apart. I have seen a ef hatch smack a wall at over 70 due to a stretched tire blowing.
its a 6.5" wheel. im tryna slam without camber or fender rolls[looks sloppy, the rolls]. i got a pic of an eg with skunk2 pro-s and 15x6.5 rotas, slammed. he was runnin +45 offset, im getting +35 or +40, and replacing my koni/gc with a skunk2 pro-s setup, for more drop.

i got 15x7 +45 wheels on now, 205/50s, and if i drop another 1/4" id be rubbing fender.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by starion88esir
No, tire stretching is where you take a tire that has a narrower tread than for the rim it will be mounted on and stretching the sidewall to fit the tire on the rim.

The problem is most people grab low profile tires to do this, which iis most likely to cause a blowout due to stretching a sidewall that is not meant to have any flex. When stretching a tire you shouldn't go with anything smaller than a 55 series sidewall to greatly reduce such problems.

To the guy whining about the guy who smacked a wall on a blowout, a blowout can occur at anytime and I've had my fair share and have NEVER slammed into anything. That's sheer driver error, that he tried to bame on a tire, which only a fool would believe. Once the tire blows you're driving on rim, that will NOT sling you in to a wall without extreme variables being added.
you just got OWNED. haha
Old 04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Master Detailer

Hmm well there was no whing, i was simply makeing sure this guy knowes what he is getting into.

Sir, i could give a **** if you hit anything. He was going a around a coner at around 70 on the highway. he had a blowout and hit a wall, big deal this is his problem not mine or yours. You can say whatever you feel, but just becuae you have not hit a wall, does not mean the op or anyone else wont, period.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah theres a **** ton of guys who do it in the VW scene and never have any problems with it, im just surprised im not seeing it more on the eg's or any honda's in general. I guess poke and stretch just isnt that common on honda's, even though it would look great. Is it pretty common to run extended lug studs to fit spacers?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate to thread jack but my question applies to the OP's post...........I've just purchased some 13inch by 6.5inch rims with 205/50/R13's on it. Now, the rubber does stick out from the rim more than I might like it to, for 205 wide tires should I not be using a 7inch wide rim?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone post pics of what your talking about?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Master Detailer

With a 7 inch wheel you should have 205's, a 6.5 wheel, 195's
Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sadly this trend has been polluting hondas to for a while now.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...10618&page=611
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ok, I got it now. Thanks for teaching me something I didn't know Starion.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 96 civic coupe, im running a 16x8 +20mm wheels and a 205/40r16 tire. streached but looks sick, its all about the offset.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not worth it.....your car goes from performance to a creeper
Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
No. They are referring to running a tire that isn't wide enough to fit the rim.

It all started in Europe... long story short, people over there wanted to run wide rims but couldn't pass inspection because law states that tires are not allowed to protrude past the fenders. Alas, people started running slimmer tires because, technically, only the rim was protruding past the fender and not the tire.

Take for example my 15x7 wheels. I have 195/50s on them and there is very slight stretch. To be most effective, that is about the most you'd want to do. There are people running 8 and 9" wide wheels on 195 series tires. Just insane.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not at all dangerous unless you go too far with it. thats just an ignorant assumption. too far is like 225s on an 11. and i even know someone who ran exactly that with no issues.

also its hilarious some of you guys think a 205 on an 8 or 195 on a 7 is a stretch. maybe technically it counts as a stretch, but get real haha. good times.

also i base it on nothing, but im fairly sure they were doing it japan before europe. but i dont know **** about their car scene i just know the veedouchers picked it up at some point. and jk i love golfs more than life.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Master Detailer

A Stretch is a stretch, just because it's small doesnt make it any less of a stretch.