Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched.

anyone ever do this successfully? my new car had a fucktard last owner who broke 2 of them. i thought about drilling it out, but i dunno how well that would work or easy that would be. anyone got any ideas?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (twinturbobb)

is the lug nut still on or is the stud broken off? Drum or disk brakes? It is pretty easy to replace wheel studs if the lug nuts aren't stripped on to them. Civic/teg rotors just have screws holding it on whereas all other cars have the rotors pressed on.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (twinturbobb)

it's very easy to replace. remove wheel, theh brake caliper and rotor, look behind the spindle and u can see where u hammer the studs out and hammer in the new studs.

30 minutes max.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (all stock)

I haven't broken one, but I have ridden in a car when they ALL broke. Wheel flew off and that was that. Kinda scary.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:01 PM

SilverCivic2k - the bolts are not attached to the rotor, they are attached to the wheel hub, and simply stick through the rotor.

the nuts are off of the bolts. i just didnt know if you have to remove the wheel hub to get the studs out, and if you had enough room to work out in there.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Scammer!
Old 07-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (HXMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Scammer! </TD></TR></TABLE>

???

what if you strip a lug nut onto a stud? like, just the lug itself is stripped?

i think i accidentally torqued mine to 120ft lbs last time they were loose while driving.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (j.fuggi)

To make a long story short I bought a civic hatch off him on ebay. Basicly it was a complete pos when he claimed it was flawless

I paid $4800 + shipping....tried to resell it, the engine blew after I drove it 100 miles on the way to the buyer, and then found another buyer to take the shell for $1800.

My loss = $3400
Old 07-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf? you bought something you thought was mint right? and did he cover up the fact that it was crap? i'm pretty sure you're legally entitled to something. i mean, dont get screwed over because of that ****.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (j.fuggi)

I did some searching asking mechanics on a how to.....

from what I am told the hub is pressed in to the whole assembly and you either

a) take the whole arm assembly out and have someone with a hydraulic machine press out the hub

or

b) take off brake caliper / rotor / nut that holds in CV Joint (32 or 34mm socket) and a use a slide hammer with a universal adapter to pull out the hub assembly.
Then you can bang out the stud because there will be nothing in the way

You can rent/loan both tools from autozone for free with deposit.

To put it back together you will probably need a impact gun so that you can screw the CV joint nut back in and force/push the hub back in.....

I am not positive, but from what I understand it is pretty easy once you done it for the first time. BUT it is my first time....

PLEASE, correct me if I am wrong....

ALSO, You cannot just put a hammer to the stud and expect it to come out because the back side of the hub is in the way. (take off rotor and you will see what I am talking about) This is for the front assembly!

Around here (Houston, TX) it costs about $45 a corner (i.e. LF or RF or RR or LF) to replace a stud.

A brand new stud at Autozone or O'Reillys is about $1.89 each......

Lastly, this is a copy of DIY stud replacement for the 94-97 ACCORD
I don't think it is similar for the civic or integra

http://www.spyfunkr.com/accord/studrepl.htm
Old 07-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf? you bought something you thought was mint right? and did he cover up the fact that it was crap? i'm pretty sure you're legally entitled to something. i mean, dont get screwed over because of that ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont worry bout it....I tried to go thru ebay fraud insurance and they wouldn't do anything....decided to not get a lawer either... you live and learn ya know. Karma will get him back.

Just don't buy anything major on ebay unless you can see it in person first.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or.. just go back to the kid that sold it to you and drive it thru his living room.

i'd flip ****.

some kid tried to scam me out of $80 and i called his house everyday, started scaring his family. then i mailed him a printout of his neighborhood. like, one of those satelitte images. yea, i found a money order in my mailbox soon after.

i'll get **** done!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:02 PM

You have to remove the hub assembly to replace the studs.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Re: (twinturbobb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twinturbobb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SilverCivic2k - the bolts are not attached to the rotor, they are attached to the wheel hub, and simply stick through the rotor.

the nuts are off of the bolts. i just didnt know if you have to remove the wheel hub to get the studs out, and if you had enough room to work out in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i am aware of this, sorry my post came off kinda weird now that i reread it..
Old 07-27-2003, 07:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or.. just go back to the kid that sold it to you and drive it thru his living room.

i'd flip ****.

some kid tried to scam me out of $80 and i called his house everyday, started scaring his family. then i mailed him a printout of his neighborhood. like, one of those satelitte images. yea, i found a money order in my mailbox soon after.

i'll get **** done! </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's awesome. They should put this in some kind of help forum on ebay. "In case of a scam, try this..."

Now for the original post...

What year is this? pre 96 you can replace studs w/o removing hub on front disc brakes. I just tried to yesterday on my 96 and not enough clearance back there. So I got 1 broke and 2 screwed right now

Also, when removing the hub, I heard the wheel bearing usually breaks, so be prepared to replace that along with the studs.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (Philip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Philip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's awesome. They should put this in some kind of help forum on ebay. "In case of a scam, try this..."</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea lol.

my next step was to send him a box. and in that box, a genuine vinyl disaster pouch. AKA: body bag. with attached note. "send me my money, or just crawl on in and zip it up. make it easier for me."

lol also, another revenge tactic... all you need is name and address... send magazine subscription cards with bill me later checked.

some dude tried to get with my girl... and he got $6000 worth of magazine bills.

i am a sick sick individual. i know i need help.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i am a sick sick individual. i know i need help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah

Microsoft Certified: MCP, MCSA, (MCSE soon)

i can see why..
Old 12-01-2003, 08:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some dude tried to get with my girl... and he got $6000 worth of magazine bills. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha.. someone (still don't know who) signed me up for 5 years of sports illustrated. i just ignored the bills ($350) and gave the magazines to my friend. after awhile, they started calling me, and i just told them that i never signed up for anything and that they just started coming one day for no reason. eventually they had me sign an affadavit saying this was true, and i never paid a dime.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or.. just go back to the kid that sold it to you and drive it thru his living room.

i'd flip ****.

i'll get **** done! </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha...whatever works to get your money back... to you, quite clever or the satellite images!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all comes down to physical strength and a special tool called a "BFH".
Old 12-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea lol.

my next step was to send him a box. and in that box, a genuine vinyl disaster pouch. AKA: body bag. with attached note. "send me my money, or just crawl on in and zip it up. make it easier for me."

lol also, another revenge tactic... all you need is name and address... send magazine subscription cards with bill me later checked.

some dude tried to get with my girl... and he got $6000 worth of magazine bills.

i am a sick sick individual. i know i need help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

note to self: never scam this guy......lol...dude you should write a book about how to get back at scammers and then go on Dr. Phil or some **** and advertise it. ebay's scammer rate would decrease I bet.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone Ever Remove a Broken Wheel Stud??? yes, i searched. (R33CIVIC)

back from the dead...
Old 12-01-2003, 09:21 PM

we break studs sumtimes at work when the lug nuts have been cross threaded on and refuse to come off, simple to replace,get a big *** hammer, hammer them thru the hub, and hammer new ones in, if u dont have room to hammer new ones in, stick it thru the hole in the hub and put a lug nut on it with a thick washer and simply tighten it until it pos all the way thru, impact wrench will make it alot easier