Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes?

I recently bought the kit. Everything seems ok but i just have 1 question. I can't get the pic up here to show you guys but the rotors that come with the kit have a circle on them on the inside of where the wheel studs go. Can anyone explain that?
Old 09-10-2002, 08:50 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (TruePlayaz114)

do you mean a hub-centric ring??
Old 09-10-2002, 09:02 PM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (supergreenSol)

no if you look at the pic on the website you can see what i mean. if you look at the rotor it has 5 holes. 4 of the holes are for the wheel studs. And right on the inside of the wheel studs is a circle going all the way around the rotor. i guess i'm not explaining it well enough just look at the pic.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:20 PM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (TruePlayaz114)

thats where you screw the rotor to your hub my aem rotors have two
Old 09-10-2002, 09:23 PM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (heiyu)

i'm not talking about the 5 circles. If you look on the inside of the 5 circles there's a circle that goes all the way around the rotor. What that for
Old 09-10-2002, 09:24 PM

Old 09-10-2002, 09:25 PM

now what is that circle for?
Old 09-11-2002, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My kit didnt have those rings for some reason. I just looked at my car this morning and it doesnt have those indents in the rotor at all. If brian doesnt mention anything in the directions about the rings, then dont sweat it. They are probably just a production casting mark for the production vehicle that they are originally intended to be used on.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2002, 07:32 AM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (boosted hybrid)

that's very true but when i received my kit I looked at everything and one of the rotors had the ring and one didn't. Then i called up Brian at fastbrakes and told him what happened. I explained the best i could what was up with the rotor. He was really cool about everything. So when i got the kit i thought that the one with the circle on it was the defected one. So I had Brian send me another when and that one that he sent me also had the ring. So i had my mechanic call Brian to explain everything and he said that the rotors are suppose to have the circle on them. He couldn't explain why 1 rotor had the circle and 1 didn't.

And now that you say your rotors don't even have the circle that worries me. I'm getting the rotors cross-drilled as we speak and installed today. Should I still put them on my car the way they are. It's just that i payed a lot of money and i just want everything to work out ok. I just don't want the rotors to warp or crack on me.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:54 AM

i dont see how those rings could affect anything,it will be sandwhiched between the wheel and the rotor,i would not worry about it.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:09 AM

I'm getting the rotors cross-drilled as we speak and installed today.

I just don't want the rotors to warp or crack on me.
Why are you cross drilling them if you don't want them to crack? Not flaming, just asking......

Steve
Old 09-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (stevecockrill)

I wouldn`t drill them either. Just install them, it will be fine. I have the kit and it`s rokken like dokken.

Ryan
Old 09-11-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (vtecvoodoo)

but getting them drilled has nothing to do with the circle. crossdrilling them won't make them weaker. Does anyone have this kit with the ring
Old 09-11-2002, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crossdrilling them won't make them weaker.
Ummm...

It sure as **** won't make them stronger.

Yeah, it does make them weaker.

Besides, you don't even really need to slot/crossdrill etc a rotor anyway. That was a solution from decades back when pads would start vaporizing at lower temps.

Doing it with modern pads is pointless except for looks. Look at most modern racing cars. Almost all will be using BLANK rotors. No slotting, drilling, anything.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (Mojo-Jojo)

how long do rotors usually last anyways
Old 09-18-2002, 08:52 AM

Depends on how you abuse your brakes. If you go to track events a lot (like I do) I went through 3 sets this year. If you cross drill them, do not be surprised when you see little cracks around the holes. Don't cross drill, it weakens the rotor significantly.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (Mojo-Jojo)

Doing it with modern pads is pointless except for looks. Look at most modern racing cars. Almost all will be using BLANK rotors. No slotting, drilling, anything.
I don't cross drill or slot my rotors either (actually slotting isn't a bad thing I don't think). But how come almost all porsche's come with cross-drilled rotors? They must be doing it for a reason? Also, don't a lot of ferrari's come with cross drilled rotors? Not sure on that one.

s

[Modified by stevel, 1:04 PM 9/18/2002]
Old 09-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have the circle on my rotors...probably just a question of fabrication of the rotors.

As for X-drilling your rotors...why?

do you guys feel that there's too much nose-dive with the kit in the front? I'm debating if changing my SiR brakes in the rear of my sedan to the 11" FastBrakes kit would make a difference...or it'd just be a waste of money...

Fastbrakes =
Old 09-18-2002, 10:13 AM

thats pretty cool man good job
Old 09-18-2002, 12:00 PM

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (stevel)

I don't cross drill or slot my rotors either (actually slotting isn't a bad thing I don't think). But how come almost all porsche's come with cross-drilled rotors? They must be doing it for a reason? Also, don't a lot of ferrari's come with cross drilled rotors? Not sure on that one.
im pretty sure the ferrari or porsche rotors are cast with holes in them, they are not drilled in after the rotor is already made, I hope that make sense

Old 09-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (Optiks)

i highly doubt they are cast that way. the mold for something like that would be really expensive, especially compared to the cost of drilling them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure on the vehicle descriptions they even say cross-drilled. Not a casting. Just seems to me if porsche does it it can't be a bad idea. People on here are so against cross drilling or slotting and it seems to be that if a few key people say than everyone jumps on the bandwagon and bashes someone if they want to do it. I'm not saying I need to do it...the cost comparison isn't worth it for me and my brakes are big enough. But there's an advantage to cross drilling and slotting. Like I said ferrari and porsche do it on production vehicles so I'm sure it's good for something.

s
Old 09-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (stevel)

Just seems to me if porsche does it it can't be a bad idea.
That may be true..but i've seen many Porsche race cars drive on the track without x-drilled rotors..there must be a reason why they switch them to blanks.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (Kev95lx)

The construction of the porsche rotor is completely different. Most of the "rice/show/preformance" rotors you see for import cars are actually DRILLED and serve no purpose.

I used to work at a porsche dealer. Ask me how I know.. heh.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes? (yellow blur)

The construction of the porsche rotor is completely different. Most of the "rice/show/preformance" rotors you see for import cars are actually DRILLED and serve no purpose.

I used to work at a porsche dealer. Ask me how I know.. heh.
so how is the construction different? I would think cross drilled rotors means DRILLED in some way. I'm sure a lot of people on here know more about Hondas than guys working at dealers...that just doesn't mean much in my opinion. Construction? I'm confused how they're constructed.

s
Old 09-18-2002, 11:49 PM

The porsche rotors are indeed CAST with the holes in them. This was discussed and confirmed in full detail in the Road Racing forum many months ago.

And pictures were shown the the CAST-Cross Drilled rotors with cracks ALL over it.

Quick Reply: anyone with the civic 4 piston caliper kit from fastbrakes?