Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup?

You know, the thing that replaces the oild pan plug with a quick connect fitting, so all you do is snap in a connector which is connected to a short piece of hose and you can drain your oil without jacking up the car.

I'm gonna get one at my next oil change and try it out.I don't have a garage and it's a pain to change my oil out in the street on an incline. I'll post pics of the "install".

heres a pic of it:
Old 07-28-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup? (undertheradar)

Don't do it. I installed in my civic thinking it would make oil changes so much easier. The damn things drain so slow. It takes forever and the way it is made it doesn't seem as though it drains all of the oil. Save your money
Old 07-28-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup? (CRITTERMATT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRITTERMATT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't do it. I installed in my civic thinking it would make oil changes so much easier. The damn things drain so slow. It takes forever and the way it is made it doesn't seem as though it drains all of the oil. Save your money</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeaaaup waste of my bling
Old 07-28-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup? (al3e)

I could care less if it drains slowly.....It'll take less time than it would to haul my jack and stands out of the garage. It's only 10 bucks locally, so I'm gonn try it. If it really is more difficult than it's worth, oh well.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:12 AM

they suck donkey nuts

I sell those things and i took two years to get rid of the damn things
Old 07-28-2004, 09:16 AM

Its not the fact that is drain slowly it doesn't drain completely. The threaded part doesnt go on straight most of the time in turn cross threading the threads. Then the little safety cap won't go on and it leaks. I was just trying to save you some heartache and money but don't ask peoples opinions and say you don't care what they have to say.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Electrician

Don't be a panzy. Get some oil on your hands when you pull the plug.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:22 AM
New User

Default Re: (Dimi)

Just by looking at it I can tell that this is not a good product. The hole is so tiny that most of the metal particles that you want drained would only collect at the bottom. Do yourself a favor and change oil the right way.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (Kalokohan)

That **** sucks i had one. It will not drail all the oil and mine got stuck in the oil pan. its a pain in the *** and its not worth it.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (Kalokohan)

I'm not an idiot....I know the "right" way to change my oil....I've been doing so for 20 years now. I'm not afraid of "getting my hands dirty" either. I've done every single mod/repair on my car myself, so thats not an issue. I put a lot of miles on my car so I'm trying to find a way to save myself some time.

An idiot might cross th threads with something like that, but I wouldn't...it's not that difficult to tell if the threads are seating properly.

I wansn't bashing your response, just stating that I don't care how long it takes to drain. As for the metal shavings, I pull the oil pan once a year and I've yet to have any, but it's good to clean all the sludge out anyways.

Like I said, I may try it, if I'm not comfortable with it, I'll return it. I won't be out any money.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (civicflnum1)

For times when im lazy, i have a oil change pump that is inserted through the dipstick tube. A couple pumps and it sucks all the oil out of the pan. If you want something that does not require you to looses the drain plug and possibly spill oil everywhere, look into a fumoto drain valve. I hear nothing but good things about them.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (undertheradar)

**** You. I bet you have never cross threaded a bolt or nut in your life. When your dumbass cross threads it while lying on your back under the car, I will be the first one to laugh. Don't ask peoples opinions if you don't want them. I never was mean to you. I answered your question and you want to call me an idiot. I was just stating the facts so Go TO HELL.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (Two_K Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Two_K Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For times when im lazy, i have a oil change pump that is inserted through the dipstick tube. A couple pumps and it sucks all the oil out of the pan. If you want something that does not require you to looses the drain plug and possibly spill oil everywhere, look into a fumoto drain valve. I hear nothing but good things about them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats one I just found out about as well. Looks pretty beefy too. I really like the valve safety too. This would mostly be used for those inbetween oil changes, when I may not even change the filter....not that it's dificult to get to from the engine bay.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I could care less if it drains slowly.....It'll take less time than it would to haul my jack and stands out of the garage. It's only 10 bucks locally, so I'm gonn try it. If it really is more difficult than it's worth, oh well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems to me as though many, many users here have never heard of ramps. Driving up on ramps and pulling the plug is the fastest way I can see to do an oil change (unless you have one of those nifty pumps that was mentioned). You've been doing your own oil changes since you were 9?

Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Re: (CRITTERMATT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRITTERMATT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** You. I bet you have never cross threaded a bolt or nut in your life. When your dumbass cross threads it while lying on your back under the car, I will be the first one to laugh. Don't ask peoples opinions if you don't want them. I never was mean to you. I answered your question and you want to call me an idiot. I was just stating the facts so Go TO HELL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? What are you like 15 or something?

No, I've NEVER cross threaded a nut in my life. I take care to not do things like that. As I said, I've done ALL of the work on ALL of my cars and there have been plenty of occasions where I've been under the car upside down working on it and have never cross threaded a nut.

Also....if you read my post title, I never asked for opinions.....I simply asked if anybody had it. So simmer down, tough guy.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also....if you read my post title, I never asked for opinions.....I simply asked if anybody had it. So simmer down, tough guy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but everybody who did have it had nothing good to say about it. Take it as you will.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup? (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It seems to me as though many, many users here have never heard of ramps. Driving up on ramps and pulling the plug is the fastest way I can see to do an oil change (unless you have one of those nifty pumps that was mentioned). You've been doing your own oil changes since you were 9?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately, because of the ride height of my car and the front lip, my ramps are a no-go.

Technically, I haven't done them by myself since I was nine.....but thats the age I started doing them with my dad, yes.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">height of my car and the front lip, my ramps are a no-go.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

2x4s are your friend
Old 07-28-2004, 09:58 AM

I guess you just wanted to start a poll then with "YES" and "NO". It appears most people would say no. I didn't mean to come across as an ******* in my first two posts. But after you called me an idiot I took offense. What i was trying to get accross to you is that is is more trouble than it is worth. I know it is supposed to save time but It is doesn't. It takes as long if not longer and It creates a better chance for something to go wrong. Beleive me it is worth the extra time to get your ramps out. I learned the hard way. The damned threads suck. When you are lying on your back it is a bitch to get the cap threaded back on straight. Sorry for coming across as a dick but I felt as though that was the way you wanted to be. I am not a young punk or ethug. I am 28 and do all of my own work. I look for shortcuts also but this is not one you should try. If you want I will send you the damned thing free of charge.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup? (JRI94)

Good call. Never really thought of that.

Just to be clear....
I appreciate the feedback. My first response was simply in reply to your statement that it made the oil drain slowly, and that it"seemed" that it didn't drain all the way. I'm perfectly fine figuring that out myself, but again, I appreciate the input. At no point was I an ******* or jerk to you.

My plan was to install it when I do my next oil change, and give it a try. If at the next oild change I'm not happy with it, I take it out, clean it off, put it back in the package and return it to PepBoys and pick up some cool blue LED washer nozzles with my money.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Two_K Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Two_K Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> look into a fumoto drain valve. I hear nothing but good things about them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have one on my moms R. Works great. Still drains out a little slow but it drains all the way out.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (CRITTERMATT)

Don't **** with me next time!

J/k man.......no biggie. I'm stuck at work bored out of my mind, so what else do I have to do but come up with stupid ****. I agree that the Fram piece is more than likely absolute ****, but I may try the Fumoto one.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:07 AM

Save your money and i will send you one for free. It was used two oil changes. Give me your address and i will send it to you. That way you have nothing in it.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup? (CRITTERMATT)

Nah...thats alright. Thanks though.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM

Actually I do drive a domestic. A 1969 Chevelle SS 396. No offense. I am bored out of my *** at work also.

Quick Reply: Anybody use the Fram quick oil change setup?