Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any tipsfor tranny installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for tranny installation?

First post, but I've been reading for a while. Learned a lot, and finally decided to install an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and ACT XACT flywheel this weekend. The teardown and clutch/flywheel install went fine, but I can't seem to get the tranny back on. I'm using a regular jack to lift it into place. Would a tranny jack make it much easier? This is on a D16Z6 motor with S20 tranny.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (daroq69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daroq69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First post, but I've been reading for a while. Learned a lot, and finally decided to install an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and ACT XACT flywheel this weekend. The teardown and clutch/flywheel install went fine, but I can't seem to get the tranny back on. I'm using a regular jack to lift it into place. Would a tranny jack make it much easier? This is on a D16Z6 motor with S20 tranny.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you elaborate a bit on how it won't go on? Is it sticking on the edges or something? Not fitting on?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if you're doing it by yourself you might want to recruit one person to help move it and just hold it in place while you bolt it back together.

but yea specify a little bit of what's preventing it from going back
Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (Probot)

You have to have the tranny aligned to get it on. The angles are critical to make things fit, which is why they have those tranny jacks, so you can make the angle adjustments to get the input shaft to slide into place.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to have the tranny aligned to get it on. The angles are critical to make things fit, which is why they have those tranny jacks, so you can make the angle adjustments to get the input shaft to slide into place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

While what you say is 100% true, it can be done just as easy with a standard floor jack.

I'm still in for "how it won't fit" - in which aspects?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (Syndacate)

The hardest part of putting the tranny back on is getting the input shaft into the pilot bearing. You just have to grab the tranny, use your muscles and slide that bitch into the side of the engine, jacks won't help you here
Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (sicones)

^What sicones said... I'm having problems getting the input shaft through the clutch disc and flywheel pilot bearing. My assumption was that if I lined up the alignment dowels on the engine and tranny housing, then the input shaft and pilot bearing would also be aligned. I even test fit the clutch disc on the input shaft before placing it behind the clutch cover, and it seemed harder to get on than the old one (obviously). Trying to be so precise while balancing it on a low profile jack (the ones with the single front wheel) is not that easy. I was also stupid and tried to do it alone.

I'm kinda wondering if the clutch disc is even installed correctly. I installed it with the flat side against the flywheel and using the alignment tool. Is that correct?

Would this jack from Harbor Freight work on our cars?

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...39178

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it lined up and put several of the bolts in and tighten it down. If you get it through the splines of the clutch, you shouldn't have trouble tightening the bolts down. I've removed and installed my tranny about 5 times and each time I get it lined up and tighten it down with the bolts. It's going to go all the way on, you'll need to bolt it to close the game between the bell housing and the block.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (EX-T)

Good tip! I'll try installing one of the bolts on one side and use that as a pivot point to line up the bolt next to the starter. Hopefully that'll be enough support to allow the bell housing to slide forward evenly. Good or bad idea?

I put grease on the input shaft splines, but was also wondering if I should put oil on the clutch splines. I'm afraid it will it splatter on the disc and damage it.

On another note, the back-up light switch got hung up on something and the wires ripped off at the switch. Will it not being connected cause a CEL? I'm gonna try soldering it back on or end up buying another one eventually...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daroq69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good tip! I'll try installing one of the bolts on one side and use that as a pivot point to line up the bolt next to the starter. Hopefully that'll be enough support to allow the bell housing to slide forward evenly. Good or bad idea?

I put grease on the input shaft splines, but was also wondering if I should put oil on the clutch splines. I'm afraid it will it splatter on the disc and damage it.

On another note, the back-up light switch got hung up on something and the wires ripped off at the switch. Will it not being connected cause a CEL? I'm gonna try soldering it back on or end up buying another one eventually...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only use a little grease on the splines 2 much will get thrown around and may get on the disc. Also try not to hang the trans on the disc it can warp it and cause chatter. The back up light switch will not cause a cell but you will have no back up lights
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (instructor74)

I haven't had much luck getting it back on, even after purchasing the transmission jack. The car has been jacked up and on stands only in the front every time I've tried. Would it make a difference if the car were on stands all the way around and level?

I'm actually about ready to concede and pay someone else to finish the job. Any recommendations of a reputable shop close to Cerritos, CA? I'd even be willing to pay/barter for an experienced HT'er to do it if they're game.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had trouble gettin the splines lined up last weekend when i did my clutch/trans...i put some kyb on that **** and it slid right in ahaha
Old 07-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daroq69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't had much luck getting it back on, even after purchasing the transmission jack. The car has been jacked up and on stands only in the front every time I've tried. Would it make a difference if the car were on stands all the way around and level?

I'm actually about ready to concede and pay someone else to finish the job. Any recommendations of a reputable shop close to Cerritos, CA? I'd even be willing to pay/barter for an experienced HT'er to do it if they're game.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know that this might be dumb but did you use the correct clutch disc alignment tool to line everything up before you bolted the pressure plate down?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i did mine i just picked the thing up by hand and wiggled it on, have you tried rotating the transmission housing until it slides on?

just get someone to help you if you can't pick it up

Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Any tips for tranny installation? (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I know that this might be dumb but did you use the correct clutch disc alignment tool to line everything up before you bolted the pressure plate down?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the one that came with the clutch kit. After installing the flywheel, I placed the clutch disc on the alignment tool with the flat side of the disc toward the open end and placed the tool into the pilot bearing of the flywheel. I then lined up the pressure plate with the dowels on the flywheel, seated it, then evenly installed the 12pt 10mm bolts until reaching the proper torque. The hole in the pilot bearing and splined hole in the clutch disc appear to be aligned when looking through the opening of the installed pressure plate, so it should just be a matter of getting the transmission housing aligned.

I'm gonna try again when I get home from work. This time I'm gonna install the long bolt that goes through the housing and into the rear transmission mount bracket. I think that should add some stability while trying to line things up.