Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Any suggestions???? Transmission problem. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/any-suggestions-transmission-problem-2320249/)

hatchbkdrvr 06-11-2008 08:23 AM

Any suggestions???? Transmission problem.

A couple of days ago i thought my starter was bad so i pulled it out to get it tested.
But it tested good, so i put it back on. The problem turnd out to be some corrosion on the positive terminal cable ground.
Anyways sense then my transmission has been [freak]ed up.
My car seems to skip all the gears and go straight to 4th.
Any suggestions?
Could this be a bad sensor or something?
I checked my CEL and it gave me: 70 = A/T Transaxle.

Oh yeah ive got a 98 civic sedan with an automatic transmission.

hatchbkdrvr 06-12-2008 07:23 AM

ttt
??????????

vtecb18c 06-12-2008 08:20 AM

Re: (hatchbkdrvr)

you might have unplugged the wire going to the trans..im not sure what its called but its right by the starter...thats the only thing i can think of

fastrc2 06-12-2008 08:42 AM

Re: (vtecb18c)

ok if its stuck in fourth that is the tranny's limp-home mode. dont drive it around this way, more than you need to, its very bad for it. the code number 70 is not a dtc number, the honda pgm tester numbers only go up to 41 for a/t codes. it should be like a p0720 is an example for countershaft speed sensor. of course this is all void if you have a civic hx, they have a cvt tranny and those are special they go up to 43 in the honda numbers. try using a more common higher line tester, i have seen the chepos at autozone all the time spit our a completely wrong information.

hatchbkdrvr 06-12-2008 11:59 AM

Re: (fastrc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok if its stuck in fourth that is the tranny's limp-home mode. dont drive it around this way, more than you need to, its very bad for it. the code number 70 is not a dtc number, the honda pgm tester numbers only go up to 41 for a/t codes. it should be like a p0720 is an example for countershaft speed sensor. of course this is all void if you have a civic hx, they have a cvt tranny and those are special they go up to 43 in the honda numbers. try using a more common higher line tester, i have seen the chepos at autozone all the time spit our a completely wrong information.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I tested it by using a wiring and watching the cel blink. It blinked 7x (1 sec each time) =code 70

So how do i get it out of limp mode?

fastrc2 06-12-2008 01:01 PM

Re: (hatchbkdrvr)

o the code you read was form the engine computer not the tranny computer. so heres the deal. you need to scan the transmission computer
so if there is a code in the tranny, which is what the engine computer is pushing you to check, you may have noticed the D4 light was illuminated lately. this is the light for diagnosis. unless you can get a scan tool that can also read powertrain computers, but this costs a lot more than just a scanner that can do engies. to check the tranny, there is a service connector to jump in the right front footwell on the right side wall. jump the 2 pins. this connector should only have 2 wires in it. then turn the key on. observe the d4 light the short blink is the first digit to the code, a long blink equals ten short blinks, what ever it spits out will be added together. please not the code you think you have, and the types of blinks you observed. this will give you and then me a code to help you with. the limp mode will go away once the code is erased after the problem is fixed.