Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

any suggestions for my b18b1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any suggestions for my b18b1

its in my 92 civic hatch, and its pretty quick already, has a stage 3 clutch, just changed to ngk iridium wires and spark plugs, looking for something else to do that will make it quicker...im new to this tuning thing, so dont try to make me feel stupid, if thats what you're here for then you can move on to the next topic
Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM

Default Re: any suggestions for my b18b1 (itzyaboyzeem03)

I dont know.... so whatever you feel. New intake manifold or cams would be decent or maybe some headers. I'm putting together a LS right now then gonna strap a turbo on it for that extra power I want lol
Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well first of all, that Stage 3 clutch isnt doing much with your stock motor. You should have spent the extra money on parts that can benefit you now.

In my opinion the best thing to do with an LS motor is to turbo charge it. LS motors are great for turbo charging. People run 250+ on the stock block.

If you are going N/A, go with an intake, aftermarket intake manifold, cams, b16 pistons, and valvetrain upgrades. N/A is the most expensive way to go but you can get to around 150 whp with an N/A LS.

Another option is to put a VTEC head on your LS block creating the LS/VTEC hybrid. It's got the torque of the LS combined with the top end of a DOHC VTEC head.

It all really depends on your budget, power goals, and know-how. Search terms like "LS VTEC" or "All Motor LS" to find great write-ups so that you can do your own research.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Re: (cbaber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbaber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well first of all, that Stage 3 clutch isnt doing much with your stock motor. You should have spent the extra money on parts that can benefit you now.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Your clutch is now basically on/off and very unforgiving. a stock clutch can handle about 250hp.

for N/A start with your basic bolt-ons: intake, mani, header, exhaust, then move on to cams, valvetrain, port&polish head, chip n tune your ecu,get forged internals, then tune the whole thing. you should be running some nice numbers after that.

dont forget suspension, because it's muy importante.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (musclehead954)

ok thanks, oh and about the stage 3 clutch, it was included with the swap lol so it was just a plus, i want to turbo the ls maybe in 5 or 6 months, so i was thinkin about getting cams and doing little things...because im sure it would be stupid to get mani's and headers and stuff when i'll jus have to change them for the turbo anyways, but what can i do now to get the benefit of having a stage 3 clutch??
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (itzyaboyzeem03)

I would just save your mony for the turbo honestly if thats the way your going to go with your setup cause it will be a little pricey to get everything you need for it but also maybe do some block work if you can for the turbo setup. I recommend ARP rod bolts and head studs are always a plus for any setup. While your doing that you can get new pistons and rods if you want or just stay with the stock bottom end cause I see a lot of people on here that have run it that way and they're still running well. That's the way I'm going cause my motor is ripped apart so I wanna clean it up a bit but leave it stock. I might get some new valvetrain or something like that for my head but I wanna see what a stock LS turbo can produce then I will upgrade if I want.....
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (matty413)

I wouldn't waste money on n/a personally. If you want to go fast with the least amount of money spend a couple thousand on a turbo kit.

Or if you don't want to spend that much do a ls/vtec, but thats still going to cost about $600-$700 or so.

You need to find out what your goals are really going to be.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Default Re: (kuja396)

LSV is going to be expensive as well cause a head is around 500-600, then you can have to the oil adapter kit and if you dont do a minor build its not as reliable. SO it can get pricey too. Boost IT
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (matty413)

yea, i would just save up for a turbo, the stock bottom end of an LS is pretty beefy, getting some new cams, and valve train would always be good way to go, but if your gonna be serious with the turbo you'll want to run turbo cams to make the most of it which means you would DEFFINATLY need a new valve train...

really once you get going your just gonna throw money everywhere, best thing to do is look how much HP you want, think how much money you REALLY want to spend and just go from there price the **** out and see how much its gonna cost to make your HP/TQ goals.

im building an b18a1 right now and am going to turbo it and im looking at 2k for just my bottom end and my head.... thats not including any of the machine shop stuff.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Re: (kuja396)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't waste money on n/a personally. If you want to go fast with the least amount of money spend a couple thousand on a turbo kit.

Or if you don't want to spend that much do a ls/vtec, but thats still going to cost about $600-$700 or so.

You need to find out what your goals are really going to be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You see, "spend a couple thousand on a turbo kit". Turbos require a lot of money,time,patience,and knowledge to build and maintain. N/A can be done in steps, and requires less tuning, if done correctly. intake here, exhaust there,cams , valvetrain,transmission, fuel, electrical, headwork, internals, suspension, then a final tune. Measure twice, cut once.