Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any sites for DIY: repaint bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any sites for DIY: repaint bumper

i got owned by my friends garage the other day. i managed to get two big scratches on my bumper. Im just gonna repaint the whole bumper. Tried searching but nothing. Anyone know a site where the show the HOW TO:.

Thanks for the help.
Henry
Old 09-24-2003, 07:54 PM

i saw a diy on this site on how to paint a bumper not too long ago
Old 09-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (frosteg6)

searched and nothing......

Please anyone.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XxSOHCDriVerxX)

bump for night crew.......
Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XxSOHCDriVerxX)

I bought some model car paint that happened to match my hatches paint pretty good and sprayed my bumper. First I scuffed up the new pre primered plastic bumper with some 3m scuff pads. Then I cleaned and spray painted a couple of coats onto the bumper. After the paint had dried and shrunk for a week I cleared over the model paint with enamel clear coat. After the clear coat had dried and shrunk down for about a week I wet sanded the bumper with 1500 grit wet and dry sanding paper. I did this in a circular motion to take out most of the orange peal. To finish off the sanding I used 2000 grit wet and dry sand paper. After the wetsanding I applied rubbing compound and softly rubbed it into the bumper. After applying the compound I used a wax on it to give it a nice shine. I am very happy with the results and it has lasted a couple months now with not one chip or crack.

The week long waits are necessary so that the paint may cure completely. If clear is added on right after the paint, the paint will shrink and cause the clear to crack and flake off eventually. The wait before you can wetsand is also necessary because if sanded before the clear has shrunk the finish will look hazzy.

When wetsanding be sure to always keep the sand paper wet to help the paint particles clear the paper. Also check the sand paper every now and then, the momment you see color stop because you have gone through the clearcoat and will need to reapply cear in that area.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aw1234dude)

thanks for the info. Looks real good
Old 09-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aw1234dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought some model car paint that happened to match my hatches paint pretty good and sprayed my bumper. First I scuffed up the new pre primered plastic bumper with some 3m scuff pads. Then I cleaned and spray painted a couple of coats onto the bumper. After the paint had dried and shrunk for a week I cleared over the model paint with enamel clear coat. After the clear coat had dried and shrunk down for about a week I wet sanded the bumper with 1500 grit wet and dry sanding paper. I did this in a circular motion to take out most of the orange peal. To finish off the sanding I used 2000 grit wet and dry sand paper. After the wetsanding I applied rubbing compound and softly rubbed it into the bumper. After applying the compound I used a wax on it to give it a nice shine. I am very happy with the results and it has lasted a couple months now with not one chip or crack.

The week long waits are necessary so that the paint may cure completely. If clear is added on right after the paint, the paint will shrink and cause the clear to crack and flake off eventually. The wait before you can wetsand is also necessary because if sanded before the clear has shrunk the finish will look hazzy.

When wetsanding be sure to always keep the sand paper wet to help the paint particles clear the paper. Also check the sand paper every now and then, the momment you see color stop because you have gone through the clearcoat and will need to reapply cear in that area.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn! thats pretty good for a DIY'er!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Trial User

is the 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper that fine that it won't scratch the paint or bumper?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGlog)

Yeah its really really fine so if you have alot of orange peel it will take quite some time to flatten the clear down.