Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor

Alright, I drive my car like ****, and have had to pull the tranny out too many times for clutches that go bad.
So if I buy a stage 3 clutch, is that overkill for a relatively stock motor?
B16 with type r cams?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor (MugenHonda)

Clutch has nothing to do with the motor. Generally you want to match a clutches power handling capability with the amount of power your car is putting down. My "Stage1" exedy is plenty for my stock b16.

Sounds like you just need to get a little bit more comfortable with driving manual. If I give you advise on what to do there will be a million comments about theory and what the hell to do. But heres the way my clutch lasts and grabs

dont dump the clutch every launch
ease into starting the car...if you let the clutch out slowly with no gas the car will move forward without stalling. Start getting used to doing that instead of gassing it to "be smooth"
rev match down shift--Some "racers" think its better to double clutch downshift (clutch into neutral, release, rev, clutch into gear) but single is just the same. I alternate both depending on my style of driving (high perfomance double, around town single)

To date I have about 12k on my clutch and it grabs like its new

OH and the most important thing---dont drive like an ******* when u first get your clutch. You need about a thousand miles of nice easy driving (city) to make sure it seats or something. Im not sure why but you need to do it.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor (MugenHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like you just need to get a little bit more comfortable with driving manual.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he just meant that be drives it hard. GL driving a Stage 3 on the street, I wouldnt go anymore than a stage 2.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor (Integra_drk)

i think a stage 3 might be overkill if you dont plan on doing major upgrades in the future, i.e turbo/supercharge or whatever. like the other dude said get a stage 1 im sure it will do just fine
Old 12-04-2005, 06:55 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor (tallyturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Integra_drk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think he just meant that be drives it hard. GL driving a Stage 3 on the street, I wouldnt go anymore than a stage 2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as it's sprung, it's totally streetable. My 'stage 3' competition clutch is perfectly fine for the street.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor (StreetEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clutch has nothing to do with the motor. Generally you want to match a clutches power handling capability with the amount of power your car is putting down. My "Stage1" exedy is plenty for my stock b16.

Sounds like you just need to get a little bit more comfortable with driving manual. If I give you advise on what to do there will be a million comments about theory and what the hell to do. But heres the way my clutch lasts and grabs

dont dump the clutch every launch
ease into starting the car...if you let the clutch out slowly with no gas the car will move forward without stalling. Start getting used to doing that instead of gassing it to "be smooth"
rev match down shift--Some "racers" think its better to double clutch downshift (clutch into neutral, release, rev, clutch into gear) but single is just the same. I alternate both depending on my style of driving (high perfomance double, around town single)

To date I have about 12k on my clutch and it grabs like its new

OH and the most important thing---dont drive like an ******* when u first get your clutch. You need about a thousand miles of nice easy driving (city) to make sure it seats or something. Im not sure why but you need to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Double Clutching in a civic is useless, that's why we have syncros...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: Any set backs buying a Stage 3 clutch for an oem motor (G2 Speed)

lol, i drive clutch fine, my oem one in my 626 has 100k, just that in a civic, i drive it hard because thats the whole point of dumping all the money into performance
thanks for the heads up