Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market???

As i've said in previous posts, im trying to keep my engine bay as stock as possible... Are there any hidden or portable nitrous kits available??? i have a d16z6 automatic.. with aem cai, and rsr exhaust... any info would be appreciated...
Old 01-09-2003, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (J-Spec EG Sleeper)

If you are creative enough, you can install any nitrous kit without being seen to the untrained (or even trained) eye.

Here are some tips.

#1. Run your nitrous lines inside the car. It's easy to spot a nitrous line when it hangs under your car
#2. Tap the nozzle under the intake. And cover the line with black plastic automotive looming.
#3. Hide the solenoids under the fusebox or battery, or even in the fender if you like.
#4. Instead of a microswitch on the TB, you can use the popular push buttom activation setup. *although less safe*

But then again, I don't know how well your auto will hold up.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (98CTRCoupe)

Thanks for the tips, however, i share the same concern... its automatic so im not sure if i should squeeze in each gear, or squeeze in 3rd on the 1/4 mile? should i just avoid the nitrous and go with a cam instead? or will i still lose a lot of power because of my transmission?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (J-Spec EG Sleeper)

If you insist on keeping the auto, then invest in a beefier torque converter. If you squeeze on the stock tranny, you're only going to waste your time since the TC is just going to slip away all your hard earned HP.

A 5 speed swap isn't all that complicated, and gobs more fun!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (98CTRCoupe)

Torque Converter? It would be an understatement to admit that I am enlightened... Exactly WHAT is a torque converter, where do I find one? and can I install it without having to rip the tranny apart? Also, I've decided to not squeeze and instead go with the ZEX street/strip cam (supposed to add 14 horses on stock, says more with mods... but who knows till ya try)... BTW, Thanks a lot on the information, uve helped a lot!!!

[Modified by J-Spec EG Sleeper, 1:27 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 06:22 AM

aahh torque converter....

JUst think of your automatic tranny, just as in a manual tranny there is a link between your engines crankshaft and the actual geared drivetrain, or transmission. JUst as you would engauge a manual clutch(5-speed) and slowly connect the two parts of the drivetrain resulting in forward movement of geared parts(tranny) the torque converter takes the place of the manual setup in an automatic tranny.

The torque converter slowly and smoothly transfers torque(forced postitve movement) from your engine's crankshaft to the transmission's gears. The converter has a stall speed from the factory, probabally around 1800rpm. This stall speed refers to the speed that the engine has to turn before the converter starts spinning the transmission.

A torque converter has two basic pieces, and outer casing that is connected to a flexplate.(flexplate being the automatic flywheel if you will) This flexplate and outer housing spins with the engine. The other part is a output shaft that is connected to the transmission. This output shaft is the shaft that does not move till the stall speed is reached.

The torque converter in a honda auto tranny is the first thing and mostly the only thing that goes bad when you boost or squeeze as you would call it. There are companies that can take your stock converter and change the properties to handle more torque and also they can raise the stall speed. raising the stall speed means thhat instaed of your engine being loaded at 1800 rpm, not the load can begin at like 2500 or so, and in some race cases, higher. This results in more power transfered to your wheels, simply because your engine cam make more power(torque) at 3000 than it can make at 1800.

Hope this helps here is a picture of the output shaft side of a torque converter:

Met me recommend level ten http://www.levelten.com/products.htm

Old 01-09-2003, 06:37 AM

If you insist on keeping the auto, then invest in a beefier torque converter.
Torque converter is his last concern. The auto cluctch pack is the first to give.
At WOT and max hp, the torque converter will just hold the engine down.

The clutchpack gets abused when sifting between gears and with more Hps and torque from the nitrous, it will either slip or break into pieces.
Clutch packs in auto tranny is less than half the size of manual trannys.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (JD_B18CDX)

http://www.levelten.com Thats where I got mine b4 my car got owned. Turbo At EX Civic
Old 01-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (UnrealSpeed)

Did you happen to get any timed runs before your car got stolen? I'm curious to see what kind of gains you got with the beefier TC.

Also, how much did it cost if you don't mind.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car was'nt stolen it was stripped The car stock D16Z6, Short Ram intake, Greddy Sp Catback, I ran 16.1 @ 84MPH Then with Torque Converter Stall SPeed at 2500 RPMs I ran 15.5@87MPH I had an AEM Cai then. I went Turbo and I ran 14.2 on stock boost, greddy kit Stall Speed 3000 RPMs. I upped the boost to 8lbs and was the last time I ran was at 13.6. LevelTen also sell a rebuild kit for the AT trannies, get that.

I think All together I paid nearly $900 for Torque Converter and Rebuild kit.

B4

After

[Modified by UnrealSpeed, 5:29 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had nawwwzzz for 6 months and no one knew i had it on except my friends that i told.....it was sweet....dude you have nos man....i do? well if i do find it!!!!!! no one found it...
Old 01-09-2003, 09:06 AM
TheHater

Run the nozzle through the airbox
Old 01-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, just put it under your pasenger seat next to the laptop like the F&F!

Just kidding.

Nitrous Express makes a system called the Sneeky Peete (yes, I think that;s how NX spells it). It's like a 2-3lb bottle and really small solenoids and lines.

I think NOS makes one similar.

Old 01-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Any portable or hidden nitrous systems out in the market??? (Revolveu2)

Well i've looked into the sneeky pete system and its says its only for carb motors, mine being fuel injected prolly wouldnt work too well... anyway its only an 11 ounce bottle, and comes with like a 25 shot... its pretty crummy for like 300 bucks, i think ill go with the zex cam for the street/strip... any opinions on he cam? the change will still be noticible even tho its an auto right? also, any ideas on the best way to launch an auto at the track??? thanks a lot for everyones input!!