Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

any one switched from vw to honda?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one switched from vw to honda?

i have a 95 coupe with turbo,ive been looking at getting a jetta vr6.the vw world is so different.cant even check codes with out a damn lap top.i want to know if someone has ever switched from vw to honda and if you liked the vw less or mare than your honda?
Old 11-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (civictypenos)

i have. i've had 6 VW's. I love em. My daily driver is a VW. I have a VW tattoo. The only thing is they are expensive to fix and modify. I have a 2.0 golf with cams; springs, retainers, full exhuast, full suspension, cam gears, intake, chip, race clutch, light fly, race tranny and a custom nitrous kit.
do you know what i ran?
14.6!
all that work and money for a 14.6!
dont get me wrong that is the fastest i had seen a 2.0 go but i decided the only way to go fast for cheap is by honda.
my local vw crew has dissowned me because i have come over to the dark-side, but whatever. i need my speed.
to put stuff into perspective...
i have about $18k into my dub (car included) and ran a 14.6
i am making a EG hatch that i've pieced together for $3500 and will run at least a 13.9! go figure.

p.s. vr6's are crazy money to fix...stay where you are
Old 11-08-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (Ryan C)

AGREE..... I used to be a dubb head dont get me wrong I still like em but they do require lots of money and maintence..... I have owed 5 total 64, 85, 90, 92, 98..... I decided it was time to try a Honda and have loved it ever since..... Stay with the Honda bro..... Basically what was just posted above this haha.....
Old 11-08-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (Ryan C)

do you think a honda will ride as nice as a jetta?im going to keep my civic,just do a few minor things to the jetta,i really want a daily driver that is comfortable really.im undecided.i do plan to keep the civic though.

im looking to get something nice for daily driving.i was thinking a acura integra,but i know thats pretty much just a civic in a different shell,and will proabaly ride the same.

did you have your vw's lowered,just a little, did it effect the ride much.i would just like to lower it,throw some wheel son it and maybe a mild kit and grill.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hondas can be faster for cheaper- ie- my friend had a 97 golf 2.0 crossflow with cam, chip,pully,intake,exhaust, ported im mani... and it was just as fast or a little slower than my 93 ex with i/h/e. its all about the power/weight ratio. vw do ride real nice tho- at least most mk3's and newer. dubs are nice and all,and is sure is nice to not have to rev your car out to go up hills cause honda got no torque, but overall think honda is a more sound investment
Old 11-08-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (blackeg)

im not really looking for fast,and as far as a honda being any kind of investment,lol,yeah right,i have over $18k "invested " into my turboed civic,how much of that do you think i will ever see again,lol.the vr6 was very fast for a stock car,it damn near kept up with my civic.im not getting rid of my civic,im going to convert it back to stock and keep the motor and turbo on it,go sleeper with it.it will be my "fast" car.

did you guys with vw's have problems with maintnace on the cars?if it was stock do you think they are reliable?i might put a exhaust,intake a dn a chip on it,but thats it.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check out vwvortex.com - its amazing site that will have all the info that anyone on here can tell you plus more
Old 11-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out vwvortex.com - its amazing site that will have all the info that anyone on here can tell you plus more
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That site can suck my ***.

They are very anti-other makes and models for the most part. I used to hang out there some and post and one day there was a big Honda meeting in ATL where they did some tray sliding 100% legally with metered water and everything.

A friend of mine burned his clutch up and some bitch on VW Vortex posted "it was funny seeing riced out P.O.S Hondas blow their engines" so I replied and I told him that close-minded people like him are what ruin the "scene" and make VW and Honda people dislike each other. I also called him a bitch and was banned immediately while he had nothing done against him.

As far as VWs go, IM user Trey and see what he thinks. He sold a sweet B18C EK and owned a GTi 337 with an APR Stage 2 kit and said he missed his Honda. I think his dynoed like 190whp with 240ft-lbs. of torque, but I don't think it hit 13's at the strip.

IMO VWs are not my kind of car. I rode in a Stage 3 GTi and it sucked *** IMO. If I was to build one I'd go the hybrid route and get an old A1 diesel Rabbit (no emissions) and drop in a built and boosted 2.0L since they need boost just to be quick.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check my Signature... ask me anything you want.

Stay away from VWVortex... seriously.

I've owned A1's, A2's, a Corrado, and my bro has a A3 VR6
Old 11-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two different cars for two differnt uses IMO. I don't find the late model VW's quite as "user friendly" as a honda. If you want a comfy car to drive around, the VW's are quality pieces if you can look past the questionable reliablity. I have own/owned about 7 hondas and 1 VW , including recently an ITR powered 94 hatchback, and a 2000 Jetta GLX.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:26 PM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (KRiS1)

i totally agree with you all on the vwvortex.com, ive been going there to "try " and do some research.oh man, there seem to be alot of people who care for nothing but looks what so ever.i have asked probably 3 times now if any one knows how to turbo a jetta with no responses so far,lol.are there any better web sites out there,vwvortex seems to be all about strict looks and no DIYers.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New VWs are excellent daily drivers.

I just wouldn't want to modify one.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:07 PM
overrated.

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (HXMan)

VW Guys are very anti-honda. Only a few are really cool.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (OnePointFive)

i had a stock gti the inside is cool and thats about it and VERY expensive to fix
Old 11-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictypenos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 95 coupe with turbo,ive been looking at getting a jetta vr6.the vw world is so different.cant even check codes with out a damn lap top.i want to know if someone has ever switched from vw to honda and if you liked the vw less or mare than your honda?</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you are going to get a VW get the one with the 1.8t motor or better yet get yourgelf a Audi 1.8t, all wheel drive. Non turbo vw are boring...you cant do **** like the **** you are doing to hondas.
Oh yeah my brother has a 2000 2.0 golf and that car is boring, you may like the look the first few weeks but they gets too old and boring too fast!! Yep..my bro is trying to sell the golf for awhile now!!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a VW certified technician. I have 4 hondas and 1 Ford. You do the math lol. not that VW makes BAD cars, but unless your a hardcore dash molestor they're not worth the B.S.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (h22John)

Like h22john say above those vw are not bad at all...but just to le you know eveything on my bro's 00 2.0 golf is breaking down!! Sometime you have to learn life the hard way, same goes for owning car.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (HATCHingMN)

me and my friends used to build dubs a couple years ago, i have to say it was fun, either people have good experiences or bad with vws.i always had a honda and a gti but i sold my gti a year ago, i had a 90 mk 2 gti with a vr6 it was a really fast and fun car but it was really rigged and i got tired of always fixin it, so i stuck with my honda, im still friends with all my dub buddies and still go to waterfest every year. if u get a vw i suggest a vr6 u wont be dissapointed, if u want to see some good vw tuning go to eip website, good luck with your decision, if u take care of it a vw motor it will last just as long as a honda motor
Old 11-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (HATCHingMN)

VW is known for its unreliablity issues. My aunt has a Passat and half of the time, its in the shop for electrical problems and there is only 20,000 miles on it. That's probably why VW depreciates in value so much after like 2 years.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:24 PM
u0f

i had a 98 jetta 2.0 a while back.. it wasn't bad at all. i never did anything besides basic stuff like oil changes and i never had any major problems after 90k. i also had my crx back then and thats how my love of hondas started.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:18 AM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (u0f)

well,if i get one,its going to be the vr6,i have one right now that im test driving for the weekend.im still undecided.the vr6 is plenty fast for a daily driver.i really want somethin that is comfy so i can make my civic faster by puting all my nice things into the jetta.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMHO, VW are bad news. I bought mine, a 96 2.0 GL from my sister four years ago, and it's been nothing but problems. Bad resonators, I've replaced the ECU twice, two bad ignition systems, the alarm system is on the frizz, and I could go on and on. And that is bone stock, minus a CD player and better speakers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way they look. VW designed awesome looking cars until 99, and then it went downhill. As for comfort, GL seats are ***. Any sort of long drive equates to a sore back and neck for me. The back seat has no leg room for anybody over the age of 6, due to the trunk that you can fit three bodies in.

Many people have already posted on the cost to fix VW's, and I can attest to that. For instance, if you change your oil yourself, I've found that you can't use Fram or Purolator filters because the oil sending unit sits too high above the oil = BAD NEWS. You have to use OEM Bosch filters, and they are $1-2 more expensive. It seems like every part on the car is 1.5 times more expensive than any other make because it's German.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (EHMk2)

The funny this is, all you guys are talking about are the A3 models and up.

Try giving a Rabbit, or an A2 a shot, and see what kind of problems you run into. You gotta really be hardcore to drive and maintain one of the older dubs. I was hardcore, but i got soooooo tired of all the small problems.

My rabbit was a full Auto-X car towards the end. My second rabbit was a show car (check my pic under username)
Old 11-09-2003, 05:55 AM

Default Re: any one switched from vw to honda? (Micro)

im looking for input on the 2000 jetta vr6,im hearing all the problems of every other car.what about the 2000 jetta?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good, reliable, i guess. my g-freinds freind has an auto one, and has gotten the tranny changed twice.

get a stick, and keep it stock. Don't beat on it often, and maintain it regularly... thats the best advice i can give... it will last only under those conditions... but!, you'd never know... it is a volkwagen

Quick Reply: any one switched from vw to honda?