Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any interest in new JDM fuel sending unit to get JDM EG cluster fuel light to work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any interest in new JDM fuel sending unit to get JDM EG cluster fuel light to work?

I'm probably going to do a JDM cluster swap and I plan on getting the fuel light to work. As many people on here know, the USDM/CDM EGs didn't come with a low-fuel light. There has been lots of talk about what models of USDM Civics and/or Integras came with compatible fuel sending units, but I decided it would be better to go for a sure thing and get an original JDM fuel sending unit for an EG6. Would anyone be interested in one while I'm ordering one...the more I order, the less the shipping from Japan to CA will be.

fm
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any interest in new JDM fuel sending unit to get JDM EG cluster fuel light to wor

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
I'm probably going to do a JDM cluster swap and I plan on getting the fuel light to work. As many people on here know, the USDM/CDM EGs didn't come with a low-fuel light. There has been lots of talk about what models of USDM Civics and/or Integras came with compatible fuel sending units, but I decided it would be better to go for a sure thing and get an original JDM fuel sending unit for an EG6. Would anyone be interested in one while I'm ordering one...the more I order, the less the shipping from Japan to CA will be.

fm
How much are we looking at?

Tim
Old 10-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Lord of the idiots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any interest in new JDM fuel sending unit to get JDM EG cluster fuel light to wor

im interested. pm me a price and instructions lol
Old 10-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I purposely left out costs because I don't want this thread to be misconstrued as a FS thread, which would be forbidden in this forum. However, I'll go ahead and say that my cost for the sending units will be $50 plus shipping from Japan. The more I have, the lower the shipping per unit will be. If I get enough interest, I'll just charge shipping from CA to your address and absorb the cost of having them shipped from Japan to me.

And this is for brand-new OEM units directly from Japan.

fm
Old 10-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I gotcha and don't want to get this locked.

I am interested, we can handle it over PM.

Tim
Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am interested as well. Pm with details.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I've already got mine.

Great idea, fm. Good price, too, esp for brand new units.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now if only I could find that write up again for installation...lol
Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Haha - doesn't exist yet. Well, only in an unfinished draft manuscript.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
But someday right? Those writeups of yours are legendary. If i didn't have ADD i'd do a couple myself.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM

^ The write-ups are a form of procrastination. I call it procrasti-work. It's a double-edged sword.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
I know, I keep checking your DIY website for new items...
Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm interested aswell, let me know.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PMs sent!

Deschlong, how big/heavy are these? Just a reality check for calculating shipping from Japan to the US...

fm
Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 PM

Light. Maybe, 300-400g? Size is a little awkward, but will fit in a half-height shoebox. I've got my old one here but no way to weigh it.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK folks, I'm placing an order this weekend, so if you want one of these, you'll need to send me a deposit via Paypal by Saturday at 5pm PDT. I'll only be placing orders for those that have sent a deposit. I don't plan on doing another order, so this is your chance to get a JDM sending unit if you've been looking for one.

fm
Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't need one...BUT...good on you for helping out the fellow h-t folk.

Hope all works out well.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an AP1 cluster I plan on using. Is this piece necessary to make the fuel light work?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM

^ Yes.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really. I bought a full EG dash harness that is wired into an AP1 cluster from a user on here and he said all functions would work.

So, the low fuel level wouldn't work then? I am a bit confused here.

Also, does the type of donor car matter for the harness? Because I have a 95 EX and I believe the harness came from a 93 EX.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Well, what he said is true, up to a certain point. What the seller probably means is all gauge functions on the car that currently work, will also work on the modified cluster. Since your 5th Gen didn't have a low fuel sensor to begin with (this is in the fuel tank), then that feature on your cluster isn't going to work. The sending units the OP is referring to have the sensor, and the total cost mentioned here for a brand new one plus shipping to your door is really, really excellent.

Donor car harness doesn't matter because you'll have to add a wire anyway.

Last edited by deschlong; 10-29-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Price didn't include shipping but it's still excellent.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The issue is that there is no wire on the 92-95 Civic (any model) fuel sender located in the gas tank. Whether or not there is a wire in the dash harness is irrelevant (I doubt there is one anyway). If there is no wire from your fuel sender going to the cluster that tells the fuel light to come on, that light isn't coming on.

fm
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Deschlong. Just to clarify...the cost listed above is not shipped to your door. That's what it'll cost for me to get them to MY door. Then you pay shipping to your door, which will run about $10-12 depending on your address.

fm
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 AM

^ Right. Still a steal of a deal.

Quick Reply: Any interest in new JDM fuel sending unit to get JDM EG cluster fuel light to work?