Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any ideas why I have to try 3-4 times before my car even cranks? Video included!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas why I have to try 3-4 times before my car even cranks? Video included!

I have a 1992 Civic LX, auto, 138,XXX, D15b7 engine and the other day I got up to go to work as usually and was shocked to turn on my car and find out that it would not start.....at first. I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the 1st click, dash lit up (VERY dimly), I turned the key more to start the car and it made no noise and the dash lights almost cut off. My first thought was maybe I need a new battery.

I then took the key out and tried again, same procedure, same results. Hmmmmm. Maybe once more? I tried for the 3rd time and it did the same thing, except after holding the key down and keeping it turned for 3 seconds a very quick sputter came out of the engine. As if it did try to start.

SO I pulled the key out and did it one more time, hoping luck was on my side. I put the key in, 1st click (now the dash lights are lit to normal), listen to make sure the fuel filter is primed (and it did), and voila! Finally turned over. I drove about 7 miles to my job and it didn't give me one problem at all.

Now, I get ready to leave work and it does it again. Same situation. I have to try to turn the car on 3-4 times before it actually turns on. Later that night I had my headlights on (which are retrofitted HIDs, maybe the problem?) and drove fine, but everytime I hit the brakes the light flicked off for that split second when you touch the brakes and the rear lights light up. Odd. I finally get home and I turn the car off, leaving my lights in the on position, and my lights turn off. Never have they done this, ever.

I just got home from work today and sure enough it did it again 2 times today. Now what's a little weird is after my first start up of the day I drove a couple blocks and got gas, and after I filled up the car started right back up with no problem at all. 1st try and it started up with no problems.

A couple things I should mention are that I recently purchased an alternator (about 4-5 months ago) and I sometimes get a CEL for Fuel Supply System. That one is tricky on its own because I only get the code if I drive at a cruising speed of 35-45mph and have been driving a distance of 1 mile or more. Other than that, the car seems to run normal and this is the only problem it has given to me in a while.

I have a video of me trying to start the car up after work. When you see the oil/battery lights dim on and off, that is when I am trying to turn the car on. Hopefully this helps, if my description of the problem hasn't helped much.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qdptLmhSefo
Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Any ideas why I have to try 3-4 times before my car even cranks? Video included! (CRISIS)

Sounds like a bad battery ground... if it is not secure then it could be grounded enough sometimes, and then other times not work, depending how to wire shifts on its bolt/terminal.

Should do it for you

Edit:
If that doesn't do it, I would have to starter tested, but it seems more like a ground issue. You should be able to bring your starter in to the local Advanced Auto/Auto Zone in your area to have that tested, if it comes to it.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Any ideas why I have to try 3-4 times before my car even cranks? Video included! (CRISIS)

yeah check your grounds first, but i think you should look at the ignition switch.

especially with the way it's kinda intermittent like that, sounds like a ign. switch dying.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any ideas why I have to try 3-4 times before my car even cranks? Video included! (hondamark35)

It sounds like your battery ground. Mine was doing the same thing last week. I bought a new battery, alternator, and starter before I figured out that my battery ground was green and full of acid.