Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition?

My wife's car got jacked last night but they ditched it so we got it back. The ignition is fucked, the steering wheel pops when you turn it too. I'm wondering if I'll need an entirely new ignition system along with a new steering wheel column and whatever else is in there.

Should I be expecting to pay around $500.00 for the repair?

This is for a 2000 Honda Civic DX h/b.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition? (Noct)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Noct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My wife's car got jacked last night but they ditched it so we got it back. The ignition is fucked, the steering wheel pops when you turn it too. I'm wondering if I'll need an entirely new ignition system along with a new steering wheel column and whatever else is in there.

Should I be expecting to pay around $500.00 for the repair?

This is for a 2000 Honda Civic DX h/b.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you should probably replace the column and switch, along with all the other plastics that were broken.

AVOID the stealership, they'll rip your wallet out of your pocket.

500 at a regular shop could be reasonable.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition? (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AVOID the stealership, they'll rip your wallet out of your pocket.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's a really unreasonable statement. Just because you may have had a bad experience doesn't mean all of us are bad.

You probably just need to replace the ignition switch itself (mechanical and electrical). The electrical side you could do yourself but the mechanical side I would have done by a professional (A technician not a mechanic).
The clicking sound your hearing is probably the steering wheel lock not fully disengaging with the car turned on. That's dangerous because while driving it could suddenly lock and cause a crash.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition? (MooGoCow3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooGoCow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's a really unreasonable statement. Just because you may have had a bad experience doesn't mean all of us are bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think 99% of people going to stealerships have had bad experiences. I've known a lot of mechancis from dealerships, and they always give the jobs to the guy who can do the job the fastest....not the best quality job.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition? (Marauder)

just do it yourself..
Old 04-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any idea how much it is to fix a broken ignition? (MooGoCow3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooGoCow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's a really unreasonable statement. Just because you may have had a bad experience doesn't mean all of us are bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I say that because there is a lot of aftermarket parts (copied product) that will work and look exactly like OEM but cost half the price, and stealerships don't use them.

Therefore, your parts cost in theory could be halfed just by going somewhere else.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update, the thieves broke the entire shaft. Now we have to replace that, $$$. *******!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will cost about 150 maybe less. go to a junk yard and buy a steering colum. it comes with everything and a key. you should be able to install in about an hour.
that how i fixed mine when i got tired of the ice cream stick in the ignition, fuken theives